Sign in to follow this  
Galactic Funk

Smuggler and 3 B-wings

28 - Outer Rim Smuggler (27) + Falcon Title (1)

24 x3 = 72 - Blue Squadron (22) + FCS (2)

I wanted to try this list out but I made a big mistake in taking the Falcon upgrade topping out at 100 and losing initiative. The idea was to jam up my opponent w/ the Falcon moving 1st. Instead my opponent had initiative and had an Alpha Interceptor, 3 Academies (all 1PS) and Trelix w/ HLC and the Recon Spec. In the end my Smuggler moved last and shot last and was worthless in the end.

My 3 B-wings had their moments but weren't able to do enough damage quick enough. I realize I prefer running Blue Squadrons w/ HLC's.

I would be interested to know how much better my list could have been had I actually been able to execute my plan properly. In the end a different support ship would probably be better and I would probably try that rather than try this again.

If you really want the Smuggler to "jam things up" why wouldn't you put the Anti-Pursuit Laser on it?  That way when/if you can force the enemy to run into you they also run the risk of damage instead of just losing actions and/or not being able to attack.  Although it is putting too many points on your "blocker" you may also want to consider an Intelligence Agent (maybe even two) to figure out where the enemy wants to go (can let your B-Wings roll into position if needed) and possibly the Navigator to make sure someone runs into you.

Actually the thought hadn't crossed my mind because I don't have a Lambda yet therefore no APL card. Even if I did I probably would have skipped it because my main goal was to see if the 3 B-wings just w/ FCS would be something I liked or not (which I didn't prefer).

However you are both absolutely correct. The 1PS Smuggler w/ APL moving first to jam people up looks like that may be one of the best uses for that ship. 29 points is about the most I would be willing to spend on a Smuggler. I guess I would have to take another look at the Crew upgrades to see if there was anything worthwhile. A 5 point gunner for instance would certainly help it at times but only marginally and wouldn't be worth it at 34 (w/ APL too).

Thanks for the comments gentlemen! Gave me something to consider that I hadn't thought about yet.

Gunner on the ORS is not something most people will look into if they have other things to spend the points on.  It's such a big point cost and with just two attack dice you're second attack may not be any more likely to hit than the first.  I mention the Intelligence Agent as it is "only" one point but can give you valuable intel about where you might want to roll your B-Wings; if you didn't have a way to alter your movement after setting the dial the Agent would be rather useless.

The Fire Control System is great, if you're going to keep shooting at the same target.  If you destroy your target it doesn't do much good and if you shoot at something else it doesn't help too much either.  In your initial squad I'd almost consider the FCS on the B-Wings as expendable and look at other possible options for the points.

What if you went 2x bwing with FCS and an Awing?  Give you a blocker as skirmisher and 2 big guns.  Might be a nice alternative.

ORS + APL/Intel  29/28

Blue + FCS x2 = 48

Green + PTL = 22

99/98 pts depending on what you put on ORS.  Downgrade the FCSs and Put a missile on board?  Prototype + Homing missile instead?  Still some wiggle room there.