Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Polkadot

What is the effect of flying units on fortification markers?

4 posts in this topic

When a flying unit is attacking a fortication the rules state that the border is treated as if it were breached.

For a normal fortifcation this is simple, however the rules for for breaching a fortication marker are different.

Is the breach treated as if the following applies "When an area fortified by a fortification marker is breached,remove the marker; that fortification’s effects on all its border
segments are nullified. No breach tokens are placed."?

Or is the damage reduced by 1 as per breaching a normal fortification?

Thank you

Edited by Polkadot

Hi. Thanks for the reply. 

You agree with my opponent! I'll explain why I disagree...I'd be grateful for more views.

When a fortification marker is breached the following applies (a)

(a) "When an area fortified by a fortification marker is breached, remove the marker; that fortification’s effects on all its border segments are nullified. No breach tokens are placed."

So as I see it, when the thunderhawks attack a fortification marker you treat the attack on the border as a breach...therefore you treat it as specified in (a) but without actually removing the marker. 

Does anyone know if these questions ever get on the FAQ? 

Hi all - the "opponent" here  :)

I would view the outcome as a reduction of 1 damage because:

• When a temporary fortification/marker is "breached" by a bombardment etc - it's not actually breached, it's destroyed.
  • Therefore the "effects on all its border segments are nullified" line is referring to its destroyed state, not its breached state.
  • So when under attack from THs and not destroyed/removed, but treated as breached - there's no reason to suppose that state is any different to a permanant fort's breached state.

Hope that makes sense.