Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
richsabre

Blood of Gondor available

51 posts in this topic

I'm amazed, we've had it in Poland at least 7 hours ago (maybe much earlier)!!

Before it was officialy available, not three weeks later

We'll see, but I think the hidden mechanic and Faramir's action are going to make this quite easy for one hand solo play.

Also, I would have loved to see those stats on Faramir's hero card 2/3/1/4 threat of 10. Much better. Sorry to digress, still bitter.

1. I wonder if the hidden cards are drawn off the event deck or if there is a special deck made.

2. Playing solo this will probably be equal to drawing an extra half card per turn. Not insignificant, but not overwhelming either.

3. What the heck is the Quest Icon anyway?!

1. i imagine they are from the quest deck

3. isnt it the icons that show what encounter decks to include in a quest?

rich

3. It's the head of a statue at the Crossroads in Ithilien Forest, that was severed and switch by a big round rock with a Sauron-esque eye, painted by orcs.

There's a Location card on this AP, with the image I'm describing :) .

So no story for this AP? They broke the story arc they've been developing!  :(

FFG has never published the story in rules to cycle Against Shadow on your website. It is a "reward" you get after completing the scenario . I am sure in the rules is a continuation of the story.

And just finished my first game. Won it, but I was getting worried during the first quest card when a bunch of shadow cards chained on me. The second card was anti-climactic I thought, but maybe it's harder multiplayer. I'm glad the quest used the siege and battle mechanics again, but that plays into my deck's strengths.

Edit: finished my second game. Much worse draw than my first, but still won. I think that my deck is well positioned against this quest. I would probably put it at Peril in Pelargir level.

Edited by Bullroarer Took

And just finished my first game. Won it, but I was getting worried during the first quest card when a bunch of shadow cards chained on me. The second card was anti-climactic I thought, but maybe it's harder multiplayer. I'm glad the quest used the siege and battle mechanics again, but that plays into my deck's strengths.

Edit: finished my second game. Much worse draw than my first, but still won. I think that my deck is well positioned against this quest. I would probably put it at Peril in Pelargir level.

So is easy for solo? Maybe coop is more cool?

In some ways this quest is like the early Khazad-Dum quests in that enemies pour out on you except that they generally take more than one hit to kill. I do think it's easier solo because the objective allies of Faramir and Lord Alcaron are pretty powerful and they can certainly counter one hidden card per turn (which is what you draw on stage 1 playing solo). In multiplayer you will be drawing many more hidden cards and they won't have the same effectiveness.

Just played 2 games solo. Both wins with an experimental Gondor deck I have been working on the past few day. I don't think it is a particularly strong deck, but it handled this scenario pretty well. I think it is a neat quest, and the hidden mechanic can easly lead to an enemy swarm. Decks that cannot handle seige quests or multiple enimes engaging at once will struggle.

Was it easy? Sort of, it did have a challenge, and moments where I might lose. But, in the end it only took about 15 minutes to complete, and this is how many of this cycles scenarios are going. Cool mechanics, but very short to complete, which tends ro make it easier. One more quest card or some other win condition in these scenarios would extend the challenge of the game.

Waiting a month or more for 15 minute victory is kind of disapointing, especially when it does not push my deck building skills to try and solve the new puzzle of the scenario.

This is probably one of those quests that is pretty good with 2 players, and i bet with 4 it's really tough.

Waiting a month or more for 15 minute victory is kind of disapointing, especially when it does not push my deck building skills to try and solve the new puzzle of the scenario.

I hate this feeling.  Couse of this feeling i complain about the game difficulty. Now you also come to this point. 

We need nightmare mode  in the pack straight away...... 

Just played 2 games solo. Both wins with an experimental Gondor deck I have been working on the past few day. I don't think it is a particularly strong deck, but it handled this scenario pretty well. I think it is a neat quest, and the hidden mechanic can easly lead to an enemy swarm. Decks that cannot handle seige quests or multiple enimes engaging at once will struggle.

Was it easy? Sort of, it did have a challenge, and moments where I might lose. But, in the end it only took about 15 minutes to complete, and this is how many of this cycles scenarios are going. Cool mechanics, but very short to complete, which tends ro make it easier. One more quest card or some other win condition in these scenarios would extend the challenge of the game.

This is probably one of those quests that is pretty good with 2 players, and i bet with 4 it's really tough.

Well that's a bit disappointing, but at least the new player cards are awesome!

I'm wondering if part of the dissappointment is simply a let down from the Black Riders quests which were great.

That certainly may be part of it. BR is not too difficult, which is fine, because the quests are really interesting, and there are cool decisions to be made, and the scenarios usually cannot be won in a few rounds. There is more game to them, which makes me feel like I have accomplished something when I complete each scenario. I don't have to loss to enjoy the game, but I would like scenarios that give me more than a few rounds of play before I win. With a longer scenario designs at least there is more of a chance for things to go wrong, or I may even threat out. Another scenario card for Amon Din, AOO, and BoG could have made these quests a much better experience and gave the scenarios more effort to complete. SF and TDF have more game to them because of this. Of course this is all from a solo perspective.

Maybe this cycle has been a reboot for new players to get into the game, since they may not have all the player cards to work with. maybe the scenarios are easier when a player has access to the complete set of player cards.

I would love to hear a new players perspective on this. Of course i could limit myself to the core set, HoN and cards from the cycle. Has anyone tried that? Any difference?

Hopefully, Morgul Vale will turn this around for me.

Maybe this cycle has been a reboot for new players to get into the game, since they may not have all the player cards to work with. maybe the scenarios are easier when a player has access to the complete set of player cards.

I would love to hear a new players perspective on this. Of course i could limit myself to the core set, HoN and cards from the cycle. Has anyone tried that? Any difference?

Hopefully, Morgul Vale will turn this around for me.

that is a good point.

as most here will know i am certainly not a new player, however i do consider myself more of a theme player than anything else, hence i enjoy a quest i can take my less powerful, theme-rich decks against (though some of my theme decks are quite powerful now we have hobbits and dwarves well developed)

so i have quite enjoyed the easier aspects of the current cycle and i like that ffg are still thinking from an 'lcg' perspective, and not a 'buy to win' perspective.

however for players like myself and many others on here who have all the current card pool i see how it can be dissapointing. a game is there to win afterall, and even though i dont come from the same line of thought as glaurung, i still sometimes want a super hard quest to put only my very best decks against....and of course get that 1 in 50 win rate ;)

i know most hate when i say this so i wont dwell on it, but i usually take a weaker deck against these easy quests. last night i took a two different decks against assault on osgilliath, one was an outlands deck with all the power cards which won in a couple of rounds, and the other was a dwarf deck that was theme based that only just lost in many rounds.

out of those i found the loss far more exciting as it felt like a true gaming feeling, not that 'what just happened' experience you get with quick wins.

even as i type this i do wonder why, out of all cycles, this one is a return to the easier. given gondor's position on the frontline between the free peoples and sauron i initially imagined this cycle to be brutally hard....the hiers of numenor pack was more like this, however the cycle itself has a more narrative driven theme to it.

i particularly like this, but as i say above it was unexpected for me.

i think the designers have a particularly hard job in balancing challenge with access. i see this as one of the weaknesses of the lcg format - new quests have to be both accessible to keep to the 'lcg' format but also provide enough of a challenge to keep older gamers satisfied.

if this is to get new players into the game then i am all for it, hopefully it works. more players = more life for the game

rich

Edited by richsabre
player1761766 likes this

I tested four decks for 4 players (in December wants to play campaigns Lotr with my group, so I tried to create four good decks).

I played  Cycle Against Shadow (to AOO, BOG is waiting for me in Poland) - I have to say, that for four player TDF and AOO are deadly. especially TDF.

Has anyone tried to play TDF, AOO and BOG for 4 players?

I agree that the quests are good and well balanced for most parts but longer quests with more quest cards would be more than welcome and maybe more random quest factors like in FoS or Passage through Mirkwood, where you randomly select the next quest card. 

I agree that the quests are good and well balanced for most parts but longer quests with more quest cards would be more than welcome and maybe more random quest factors like in FoS or Passage through Mirkwood, where you randomly select the next quest card. 

yes these things are good....i do think this is already what ffg are doing though. for instance heirs of numenor quest 3 has several different paths to victory, and stewards fear has to be the most complex quest to date. i just think that the designers are trying to balance this out with some more simple quests to get the balance right.

just out of interest here is the quests what i consider to be the more complex ones:

escape from dol guldur

return to mirkwood

road to rivendell (i include this for the 20 quest point card....i really love that and would like to see more of these)

foundations of stone

hiers of numenor 3 (forgot the name)

stewards fear

the simple ones i would say are (ignoring passage through mirkwood as a learning quest):

conflict at the carrock

emyn muil

khazad dum 2

watcher in the water

the long dark

shadow and flame

amon din

assault on osgilliath

the others i consider in between the two. i make this a few more simple ones than complex ones, however this is to be expected i think.

obviously my logic is pretty simple here, but i feel that we may just be thinking along the lines of this cycle being too easy and simple because the last 2 or 3 have been so....however there has also been a very complex beginning and hopefully morgul vale will finish the same

maybe others disagree ;)

rich

Edited by richsabre

yes these things are good....i do think this is already what ffg are doing though. for instance heirs of numenor quest 3 has several different paths to victory, and stewards fear has to be the most complex quest to date. i just think that the designers are trying to balance this out with some more simple quests to get the balance right.

just out of interest here is the quests what i consider to be the more complex ones:

escape from dol guldur

return to mirkwood

road to rivendell (i include this for the 20 quest point card....i really love that and would like to see more of these)

foundations of stone

hiers of numenor 3 (forgot the name)

stewards fear

the simple ones i would say are (ignoring passage through mirkwood as a learning quest):

conflict at the carrock

emyn muil

khazad dum 2

watcher in the water

the long dark

shadow and flame

amon din

assault on osgilliath

the others i consider in between the two. i make this a few more simple ones than complex ones, however this is to be expected i think.

obviously my logic is pretty simple here, but i feel that we may just be thinking along the lines of this cycle being too easy and simple because the last 2 or 3 have been so....however there has also been a very complex beginning and hopefully morgul vale will finish the same

maybe others disagree ;)

rich

Yes that's true, both Into Ithilien and Siege of Cair Andros offer some variants in the path to victory and SF is an absolutely brilliant quest. I have high hopes for Morgul Vale and i bet it's going to be a really difficult quest if it follows the pattern of the last quest of the cycle being the hardest (Return to Mirkwood and Shadow & Flame).