Sign in to follow this  
andersb25

How to split the core set between 2 players

I am thinking about purchasing the core set with a friend and split up the decks between us. How shall we do this? shall one person take all the corporate and the other all the runner or can we split them so that we take 2 corporate each and then divide the runners as well (although not even as there are 3 fractions). The most fun would be if we both can have corporate and rebel decks.

We will only play casual and we will buy the packs toghether as split the cards between us.

The only way this would work would be if you split it where one gets the corporate the other the runner because otehrewise there are not enough cards in the core set to make two complete sets of any corporate faction (there are a set amount of neutral cards that are required in every deck). The runner is a little bit better but not by much and you'll probably not be able to make more then one legal deck with the runner either. If you're just going to play with your one friend then just keep everything together and alternate between who plays which side. If you're planning on playing with other people then you will need to each buy your own coreset. You can also look online for additional cards from the core set as there are often extra cards for sale from people who have bought a 2nd or a 3rd coreset for themselves to finish off their playsets.

I will only play with my pal. The fun thing would be if we hade some way to divide cards into side/fractions so that we could build decks seperately by in the future adding cards from expansions and then play eachother. We have done this with Star Wars LCG where I take all the Rebel cards and build only rebel decks and he builds only Imperial decks. And also with CoC where we have 4 fractions each.

I think we will do the split by corporate and runner then, but you mention that the runners are a little bit better so that might not be that fun for the one of us that gets corporate....

I will only play with my pal. The fun thing would be if we hade some way to divide cards into side/fractions so that we could build decks seperately by in the future adding cards from expansions and then play eachother. We have done this with Star Wars LCG where I take all the Rebel cards and build only rebel decks and he builds only Imperial decks. And also with CoC where we have 4 fractions each.

I think we will do the split by corporate and runner then, but you mention that the runners are a little bit better so that might not be that fun for the one of us that gets corporate....

That's not what I meant. I meant that you might be able to make 2 legal runner decks with the cards that are included in the core set but you still wouldn't have a very good (or fun deck).

The problem with one person taking one side permanently, is that it is an assymetrical game and you want to be able to play both sides since they each play very differently from the other.

Ok I understand. Is the game more assymetrical then Star Wars LCG, because that is fun eventhough the two sides have different winning condtions? Perhaps Netrunner is not possible to split as we have done with the other card games...

Ok I understand. Is the game more assymetrical then Star Wars LCG, because that is fun eventhough the two sides have different winning condtions? Perhaps Netrunner is not possible to split as we have done with the other card games...

Netrunner is completely Asymmetrical. The Runner attacks, the Corp defends.

Star Wars is not really an asymmetrical game -- it just has different win conditions for each side, but the basic gameplay is the same for each side. Netrunner's gameplay on the other hand is completely asymmetrical; playing as a corp and playing as a runner a fundamentally different experiences.

As has been stated, there's no real way to split a single core set for two players in a fair and balanced way. I suggest one of you picks up a core set, and keeps all the cards, and you play a couple of games just with the starter decks to see if both of you enjoy the game (though I would probably shy away from the Jinteki starter and build a Weyland starter deck for the corp instead). If the game is to your liking, the other person should get a core set for themselves and then both of you can start customizing to your heart's content.

If I were to split a single Core Set I would divide it such that one person gets all the Corp Cards and the other person gets all the Runner cards. Then after a few weeks or so playing switch it up so the other person gets the other sides cards, especially if you are only playing this game with the same person. 

I'd go for what Goldenfoon suggests. Really, Netrunner, while the box does support 2 players easily enough, it's much easier if 2 players have a Core set each. That way you have your own cards and can build your own decks in your spare time and of course take turn about as corp/runner.

Why split anything up at all? If it's just going to be you and your friend, just use a deck builder, or even just a spreadsheet, and build customs without one person or another physically owning divided portions, and then when you play, just put the cards together for your builds. 

Yeah, because there aren't enough neutral card and factions cards in the core set, you cannot split the factions up. you would have to go as others have suggested, one gets all the corps, the other gets all the runner. it's the only way.