Sign in to follow this  
thesmallman

The Big Imperial Aces Pre-Order Conversation

Pretty much my first time posting to these forums (usually on BGG), but I wanted to get some quick thoughts on Imperial Aces.  I'm doing a pre-order, so I wanted to get some feedback.

I like the Interceptor a lot.  I'd originally figured on getting two copies of IA on account of the great upgrade and pilot cards coming out.  I have two Interceptors now.  I was initially excited to be able to finally have an excuse to buy a whole squad of TIE Interceptors.

Obviously,  there's no world in a 100 point game where someone would run all six Interceptors, but I'm curious to see what your thoughts are on grabbing two if I tend to run mediumly conservative on the number of ships I buy... (2 core, 2 TIE Fighters, X-Wing, Falcon, 1 Slave, 1 Lambda and HWK, and two of everything else).  Thoughts?

Also, I couldn't figure out how to search for the answer, or I would have.  :/

Thanks!

I think 2 sets of the Imperial Aces would be the best option for you.  That way you can use your 2 regular Interceptors and the blood striped ones when you use Soontir Fel and the Sabre Squadron pilots.  Two Imperial bodyguards flanking a shuttle would also make a cool mission.

I already have 5 Interceptors... but I would like to get some of these ones too!

I'm a big fan of the interceptor myself. I've got 3 right now, and Soontir Fel has been a gravy pilot in my dogfights to date. I plan on picking upthe IA expansion at least, and leaving my total for the interceptors at 5, which should be sufficient for most of my needs. to date, I think I've not run more than 2 interceptors at once, and filled out my order of battle with regular TIEs. Grabbing 2 of the IA packs might not be a bad idea, if you're mostly after the upgrade cards.. hrm.. ok now you got me thinking about it...

It may seem excessive to have more than 4 interceptors ATM, but keep in mind that soon we'll see 'Epic tournament rules' which will create a whole new metagame with huge squads.

I'm pretty confident that 6-interceptor squads (or more) won't be a rare sight in 'Epic tournaments'

It may seem excessive to have more than 4 interceptors ATM, but keep in mind that soon we'll see 'Epic tournament rules' which will create a whole new metagame with huge squads.

I'm pretty confident that 6-interceptor squads (or more) won't be a rare sight in 'Epic tournaments'

Which is why I've pre-ordered 4 IA boxes to go with the 4 Squints I already have....looking forward to running a full Interceptor squadron in a tournament. :)

Going to buy 4 Imperial Aces expansion back (will not not preorder just wait until they come in from Amazon and use Prime shipping)... which would be a total of 8 Interceptors. Four Royal Guard and 4 181st Imperial Fighter Group.... enough said! :wub:

I just bought a second YT-1300 and Firespray-31. I was so excited to use the extra modification cards, but I've gone without them for so long I'm not sure I want them that badly, so they are still sitting unopened on my shelf. It's making me second guess buying 2 Imperial Aces. I think I'm going to start with just one, and see how I feel later.

If you haven't pre ordered online already may I suggest pre ordering through your local gaming store. I know it is easier online for most, it just helps the local stores out. Plus you might get a decent discount (my store gives 10% off any star wars minis) and saves you on shipping AND not to mention you'll earn yourself some extra karma. Would you rather give your money to some random place online or your local gaming store where you actually play? 

side note: I'm not a store owner.. just trying to look out for the future of our hobby. happy war gaming!

If you haven't pre ordered online already may I suggest pre ordering through your local gaming store. I know it is easier online for most, it just helps the local stores out. Plus you might get a decent discount (my store gives 10% off any star wars minis) and saves you on shipping AND not to mention you'll earn yourself some extra karma. Would you rather give your money to some random place online or your local gaming store where you actually play? 

side note: I'm not a store owner.. just trying to look out for the future of our hobby. happy war gaming!

I agree with this 100%. Support your local game store. But sometimes it's hard to justify spending the extra money. Let's say you have $100 to spend. You can get 5 imperial aces for that online or get 3 IA + 1 small ship for $105. I try to split the money between both game store and online.

I have 3 basic squint and I intend to get 2 IA boxes. I figure I will be fielding 3 ships with the Royal Guard title semi frequently so I would like the card. Also if I have 7 ties it means I can modify 3 to be proper Royal Guard Squints (with the extra fins) and have 4 as 181st pilots.

Also as others have pointed out escalation and epic tournament format are both coming so having more of a ship you really love won't hurt.

Heh, my FLGS is FFG.

They may be at full retail cost, but they always get the order on time.

I'm getting 2 Imperial Aces packs, but I already have 5 Ints.  I'll probably only keep 5 in the kit till epic rule are announced and we know what kinda of squads to put together.

I currently have 4+ of all fighter except the Y-wing thinking we would do epic battles.  The problem is this game does not translate real well into epic battles because of time.  The largest we did was 300pts per side and it took hours.  X-wing IMO is best played as a small skirmish 100-150 pts.

As a result I will get one set and am even looking to sell a couple of my current Interceptors to make room as the most i have used at a time is two in a standard 100pt game.

I am considering buying 3 or 4, but selling some/all of the royal guard interceptor models (or trading them for 181st models if possible)  to recoup some of the cost.  I'm not a big fan of the red color, but I want lots of cards and bloodstriped interceptors