Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
richsabre

10 things before the game dies

75 posts in this topic

Not sure I can come up with 10 off the top of my head, but some of mine have already been mentioned:

1) Silmarillion/first-age/second-age stuff.  If I got this, I wouldn't include a single other item on my list.  PLEASE SANTA!!!

2)  Angmar/Arnor/ area... specifically, a cycle depicting the fall of the Northern Kingdom and the later defeat of the Witch King (Even IF it meant a third Glorfindel hero... lol).

3)  Treasure items (or "named" weapons/artifacts) outside the sagas.  Yeah, we have STWB and Asfaloth.... but where's Sting, Glamdring, Andruil, Phial of Galadriel, etc...?  Even some unnamed (but familiar) items like a mithril shirt, etc would be nice!

Djenni likes this

Caeser, I think he was meaning that he wanted to see "proper translation" on the game cards.  There has been much discussion about how some of the terms, keywords, etc get translated into some of the non-English languages and how it can possibly affect gameplay.

I doubt anyone is seriously going to criticize each others language abilities on here... this is a pretty encompassing community that is well represented by non-native-English speakers.  I would say that 99% of us have little or no problem figuring out what everyone is trying to say!

Yep, I was refering to bad translations by lazy translators. I don't have any problems to read posts in this forum. I can even see the little cute hearts that Glaurung is painting over each "i". ;)

richsabre likes this

haahahahaaha i love this forum- the only place that things can be said without ending up into all out war

and for those who struggle with english posting- its still probably better than mine, and i am english ;)

Only two things I would like...

1) as long as we get all the way to mordor and finish The Lord of the rings story, I will be happy.

2) I hope they come out with some revised rules for solo play at some point. They have already come up with new rules for easy play, so it's not all wishful thinking. If they can come up with a way for solo players to use more heroes, so we don't have to play two-handed, and can think of a way for us to use sentinel and ranged (other than with a few event cards) would be great

Only two things I would like...

1) as long as we get all the way to mordor and finish The Lord of the rings story, I will be happy.

2) I hope they come out with some revised rules for solo play at some point. They have already come up with new rules for easy play, so it's not all wishful thinking. If they can come up with a way for solo players to use more heroes, so we don't have to play two-handed, and can think of a way for us to use sentinel and ranged (other than with a few event cards) would be great

1. i am sure they will get us to morder, if not further...though the debate about anti climatic endings is of course another topic. personally im happy to have saga end then explore further areas ignoring that sauron has fallen (though we could go back in time). in any case the game only has to last at most another 3 years for that to happen, and i see some of ffg's lcg are around that age anyways.

2.this is interesting. personally i have come to love 2 handed play and dont see it in the 'playing two people' way i expected. however i am a solo player at heart and i would love to see ways to use ranged and sentinel for that- opening up options in the game is only a good thing.not sure how it would be done....i wouldnt want a major revision of the solo rules as i think the simplicity is key here

rich

And I suppose it would be nice if they could revise the "nightmare mode" rules as well, and make them a bit more like the campaign mode in black riders,

How great would it be if we could play through all the quests from all the cycles in order, in one huge massive campaign. You can't really do that with the official nightmare mode rules because they are too hard

And I have just thought of one more thing I would like...

Weather cards. But I have already talked about those ones to death.

I haven't played the quest yet, but I also loved the mechanic in that new gencon POD quest, where they introduced a time element to it, advancing the hours as you went through the rounds, I love stuff like that. I would like more of that kind of thing. It makes the quest seem more like a real life story

I'm more a mechanic of the game fan than a LotR fan, so I will skip all comments on background content.

5.not so quest-y quests. quests that are more light hearted in that they involve no peril. for LOTRO players im thinking of the festival quests. for those who havnt played lotro they are sort of quests where you look for things, rescue hobbits from hilarious situations, throw pies at people....ok..that last one would make a stupid quest, but i think some sort of light quest based around an errand in the shire would be good

6. cavalry charge mechanics. if it will be anywhere it will be the next cycle. i want some sort of charge mechanic that can kill multiple enemies engaged with you but comes at great cost.

7. 'building' sub cards. we have allies, attatchments and events but id also llike to see 'architecture' cards or something similar. they could function similar to enemy buildings in siege mode, by having hit points and lowering the threat in the staging area or something

I love the idea of 5-6-7.

For 6, there is Dunhere and Knight of Minas Tirith. I think that cavalrymen could engage ennemy before engaging them in close combat.

Something like engaging ennemy while dealing damage is for heavy cavalry and dealing damage in the staging area light cavalry. To balance the attack in the staging area, I see something like "the ennemy resolves an attack with his threat instead of his strength".

For 7, there was a lot of idea, and other mechanism, that are not very playable but nice : a player cards event that shuffle itself in the encounter deck when played with a positive "when revealed" effect, or a player location card. We already have trap that are played in the staging area, so why not ?

My list of mechanism (because I have no lore) I want to see :

1. not so quest-y quests

2. cavalry charge mechanics
3. more attachment that doesn't go on characters

4. cards that promote 2 hero or less play (with some more secrecy cards)

5. less obvious combo (LoV+Glorfindel) (cards that give bonus to someone specific is ok) or imbalanced cards (Voice of Isengard cards, outlands, Glorfindel)

6. more double edge effect (Hammer Stroke, Elf Stone, Advance Warning)

7. already said but allies version of hero allow to play them in solo

8. less unique cards per extension (seriously, apart from event, half the cards are unique)

9. competitive gameplay (race against the shadow was not very well received, I often see local made competitive rules)

10. open licence for fanmade scenario (maybe after the games dies...)

@Djenni - i love uruk hai......and oh yes, i see you're from iceland- i am particularly jealous you have Sigur Ros on your doorstep ;)

rich

Yeah that's right we have the Bluruks and those Mordor Uruks (Muruks) :) 

haha yeah they really are an incredible band, i'm actually kind of embarrassed to admit i've never actually been to one of their concerts, but oh well there's still time for that.

@Djenni - i love uruk hai......and oh yes, i see you're from iceland- i am particularly jealous you have Sigur Ros on your doorstep ;)

rich

Yeah that's right we have the Bluruks and those Mordor Uruks (Muruks) :)

haha yeah they really are an incredible band, i'm actually kind of embarrassed to admit i've never actually been to one of their concerts, but oh well there's still time for that.

seeing them in a couple of months...cannot wait ;)

There are some fantastic ideas here!

Here's my own take on a "bucket list" for the game:

1. Some version of a Campaign Mode for the regular, non-Saga game. I will also take anything that adds more RPG elements to the game, and provides opportunities for characters to grow and for decisions to have a lasting impact.

2. Corruption mechanic - I would like to see something that really reflects the theme of players and characters being vulnerable to corruption. Something that grants power but also could lead to the corruption of characters would be perfect. I want something other than threat and doomed to represent this central theme of The Lord of the Rings.

3. A new sphere - I'm not talking about one of the Saga-specific spheres, I want a brand new one. This would be difficult to do, with player cards being released so slowly, and any new sphere having to start out so far behind the existing ones. Still, we're speculating here, and I'd love to see what the designers would come up with.

4. Silmarillion expansion - This would be the most epic thing ever, rights be damned!

5. The Blue Wizards - They need to show up at some point and in some form.

6. A trip to the deep East/South - There wouldn't be much material to go on, but that would make such a speculative cycle really intriguing.

7. Choose your own adventure - Someone mentioned this idea, and I absolutely love the idea. I'd love to see different paths through a scenario.

8. Official playmats - Take my money!

9. Sauron mode - This falls under the category of "spin-off", but how much fun would it be to control a marauding band of orcs and Nazgul? Give us the Witch-king as a "hero". Give us a quest where we're attacking Minas Tirith. Threat counter? How about a willpower counter and we use our threat to quest!

10. Ents, ents, and more ents 

great ideas Raven. who wouldnt want to play the side of evil....crushing all the weakling resisitance before sauron's might foot?

:angry: (there was no evil emoticon....that will have to do)

Edited by richsabre

More quests like Watcher In The Waters - I mean more opportunities, ways to win, as in this scenario (you can win by killing the Watcher or guess the password to the door of Durin).

I would absolutely love more quests like Foundations of Stone, that quest is so much fun and plays out differently every time i quest through it. I also love the idea of the players getting separated and having to fight/quest their way back together. It's just so different from the other quests.

Also getting a new fifth sphere later on could be really interesting and fun.

I thing adding a new sphere is counter productive, with cards like "same printed ressource icon". Having only 3 hero make the choice difficult enough, and 4-players game having the opportunity to represent each sphere is good as it is. Morevore, sphere have distinct mechanism within themself, making "subsphere" like Lore encounter manipulation, Lore trap, Lore heal etc...

However, I would combine point 2 and 3 of Raven : having a fifth sphere, that is corrupt, (but neutrals cards might be a better idea...) where each card is powerful but with a downside, like spoiled cards in Voice of Isengard. Exemple : a neutral sphere hero that gives +1 threat to the staging area each time you use his ressources...

Edited by alogos

I thing adding a new sphere is counter productive, with cards like "same printed ressource icon". Having only 3 hero make the choice difficult enough, and 4-players game having the opportunity to represent each sphere is good as it is. Morevore, sphere have distinct mechanism within themself, making "subsphere" like Lore encounter manipulation, Lore trap, Lore heal etc...

However, I would combine point 2 and 3 of Raven : having a fifth sphere, that is corrupt, (but neutrals cards might be a better idea...) where each card is powerful but with a downside, like spoiled cards in Voice of Isengard. Exemple : a neutral sphere hero that gives +1 threat to the staging area each time you use his ressources...

Interesting points but i disagree. I think monosphere cards have nothing to do with adding a new sphere into the game. I myself don't play this game with four players but i can't imagine having some variety in choosing spheres (if everyone plays monosphere decks that is) being a bad thing. And it's not like it's impossible to create a new mechanism for this fifth sphere.

i think it poses some challenges....especially those quests that base X effects upon the spheres we have...those that have spirit,lore,tactics and leadership icons will be affected by the addition of an extra sphere that is not named on these cards

still i think if they make it a 'non sphere' sphere (if that makes sense) it would be better. something that is not just another sphere but another mechanic

rich

To me, I think the biggest challenge of introducing a new sphere would be putting out enough cards to make it feasible quickly. They would have to do a deluxe expansion that was nothing but player cards for that sphere just to get it to a decent point. There are a few effects, mainly in the most recent deluxe and cycle that refer specifically to the four spheres, and those could probably be easily addressed with errata. I personally don't think a new sphere will ever happen, but I would want to see it mainly because I'm curious how the designers would handle the challenge.

It might just because I'm easily confused, but I'm not sure about the idea of a player card being shuffled into the encounter deck that gives a positive effect when revealed. Why not cut out the middle man, though, and have a neutral event card in the player deck that has a reveal immediately effect? In my games, the odds of getting through the encounter deck are usually higher than getting through the player deck, but that's just me. 

Although I suppose the precedent has been set for this kinda thing with Ithilien Archers in Massing at Osgiliath, to say nothing of the stuff in the Black Riders box. But in terms of more regular, generic play, it would probably confuse someone like me...!

I quite like the idea of cards that must be paid for using a single hero's resource pool, rather than from more than one if the spheres match. There are already some tactics cards that spring to mind from the core set, I think, that have limits on where the resources can come from to pay for them, so why not further this kind of mechanic? 

I quite like the idea of cards that must be paid for using a single hero's resource pool, rather than from more than one if the spheres match. There are already some tactics cards that spring to mind from the core set, I think, that have limits on where the resources can come from to pay for them, so why not further this kind of mechanic? 

i like that idea- sort of the opposite of thicket of spear then?

Yes that's a pretty clever idea..

Yeah, going back on all rules to add a fifth sphere make it technically improbable. What about neutral cards that need traits ? I made some fancards to illustrate my idea because... bored...

Charge-Face-de-la-Carte.pngDying-Breath-Face-de-la-Carte.png-Saruman-Face-de-la-Carte+%25283%2529.pn

Some things I'd like to see:

1: Gandalf the White

2: Hero version(s) of Gandalf

3: Unique weapons, such as Glamdring, Sting in versions that are not limited to specific  quests.

4: Treebeard and the Ents

5: Saruman as an enemy

6: A great Pelennor Fields quest showdown with the Witch-king

7: Galadriel as a hero (and ally), along with husband Celeborn and Nenya

8: Cirdan the shipwright

9: For Rohan, Gondor, Sylvan, and other deck types to get their day.

10: Agree to some degree about the questy quests, but it could be said that's what they were trying with Journey to Rhosgobel and Hills of Emyn Muil and we all know how those were received...

@alogos- i like that image- it comes up on the lotro load page ;) i really like the idea of trait buying of cards...nice and thematic

@alogos, I think this may very well happen, for example in a cycle that focuses on "classes" traits (warrior, ranger, scout, etc), as well as the "must be payed using resources from only one hero's resource pool" in a cycle focused on duo or tri-sphere decks. Maybe the cost 1 ones and maybe the 2 ones would be "token" for kind of effects, such as "cancel one treachery" (which is already the case) or chump blockers, while the cost 3+ cards would be heavier, more powerful effects.

Edited by Gizlivadi