Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JasonRR

Content and Character Builder

125 posts in this topic

I've updated and centralized the app's navigation. Please let me know what you think.

2014.05.23 v0.1.11.1

• Updated and centralized the application navigation

2014.05.29 v0.1.11.2

• Fixed a bug that would not allow the Add XP increment buttons to show in the Character Attributes pane

Finally! An update! Sorry for the long hiatus, but I've had a ton going on in my personal life and my time has been thin, but I have been working away.

2014.09.26 v0.1.12.0

• Added custom lists for you to add Duties, Moralities, and Obligations of any values you want from within the Setting -> Character pane. You will then be able to select from these lists or add a custom value when editing a Character.
  • Added additional bonuses types (including an editable ‘other bonus’) to Character Characteristics
  • Added a Characteristic type mechanical bonus (i.e. Agility, Brawn, etc.)
  • Fixed a bug that would not uncheck Signature Abilities after editing a Career with a Signature Ability and then moving to edit a different Career
  • Fixed a bug that would crash the application when closing the Setting window after viewing the Export pane
  • Fixed a bug that would throw an error when attempting to delete an empty misc gear from the Character -> Paper Doll
  • Major back-end refactoring to handle future updates
themensch and kaosoe like this

FYI, I posed a small update this weekend (v0.1.12.1) to fix an error and added the list of starting Career and Specialization skill to the Character Skills Pane.

I guess I forgot to mention that I am working on adding Vehicles. In the content section you will find a Vehicle Archetype section. It has very little right now, but I wanted to get it in there to get started. It also show the new design for adding/editing content just like the NPC section.

Vehicle Archetypes are the unmodified vehicles that you can take as a template and mod just like the ones listed in the books.

2014.10.02 v0.1.12.2

• Fixed a bug that would sometimes remove the wrong Talent when unchecking one with the same name from the Character -> Specialization pane

• Fixed a bug that would sometimes remove the wrong Signature Ability Upgrade when unchecking one with the same name from the Character -> Specialization pane

• Fixed a bug that would sometimes remove the wrong Power Upgrade when unchecking one with the same name from the Character -> Power Tree pane

• Morality now defaults to a rating of 50

• Some design changes, as per usual

Being that nobody but you has commented on this thread since march, I am thinking you may not have the following that demands an update every 5 seconds that you think you do. Perhaps you do 1 a month until you get some interest.

Donovan Morningfire likes this

Being that nobody but you has commented on this thread since march, I am thinking you may not have the following that demands an update every 5 seconds that you think you do. Perhaps you do 1 a month until you get some interest.

I think OP is well within his rights to post features and bug fixes in the thread that he started dedicated to his software project. Perhaps its up to you, fatedtodie, to only check it once a month, if that's how often you think it deserves attention.

Thank you JasonRR for taking the time to work on this project and keep us up to date.

FreeXenon and GM Hooly like this

Look at the thread as compared to its competitor in OggDude's thread. I was the first person to comment since March. Sorry if you are offended by facts.

I definitely like to see these updates. OggDude's thread does as such as it is great, especially if you are looking to install a new version specifically because something has been fixed or changed. =)

butterbaste likes this

Look at the thread as compared to its competitor in OggDude's thread. I was the first person to comment since March. Sorry if you are offended by facts.

And your only comment was basiclly a put down of his work. Maybe your efforts would be better spent elsewhere.

Edited by mouthymerc

I don't know why you felt it necessary to post this, but I will respond politely and explain the lack of activity on this thread.

A few months ago I starting dealing with some very difficult situations in my personal life and let the project go for a while. I have recently gotten back to a more normal situation and started updating again. If you follow the thread, and especially the thread on the d20 radio forums, you will see how I tend to operate. I update as I see the need. If no one is interested, that's OK. I built this for my group and decided to share it for free. You are more than welcome to use it.

Thank you for understanding,

-JRR

Edited by JasonRR
NGnear, Kaytarn and kaosoe like this

For the record, I don't consider Jason a competitor, I consider him a compatriot.  We both put in a lot of time and sweat writing our software so we can help support the community of a game we both love, not to mention annoying our wives in the process (Wife: "You coming to bed?" Me: "I'm in the middle of something in the character generator.  I'll be about 10 more minutes." <half hour later> Wife: "Fine, I'm going to bed!" <wife storms out; I reminisce fondly about my bachelor years>).  It's a labor of love, and neither of us are getting rich doing this, I can assure you :)

In fact, I need to thank Jason for putting out his excellent character generator when he did.  When I first got the game a bit over a year ago, his generator was the first thing I downloaded for it.  I had just been laid off of work and needed a project to improve my C# skills.  The work he did on his generator inspired me to start writing my own as a learning project.  And, man, have I learned a lot :)

So, Jason, I salute you!  You are a gentleman and a scholar, a great programmer, and from what I've read on your various forums, a heck of a nice guy, too :)  Keep up the great work!

For the record, I don't consider Jason a competitor, I consider him a compatriot.  We both put in a lot of time and sweat writing our software so we can help support the community of a game we both love, not to mention annoying our wives in the process (Wife: "You coming to bed?" Me: "I'm in the middle of something in the character generator.  I'll be about 10 more minutes." <half hour later> Wife: "Fine, I'm going to bed!" <wife storms out; I reminisce fondly about my bachelor years>).  It's a labor of love, and neither of us are getting rich doing this, I can assure you :)

In fact, I need to thank Jason for putting out his excellent character generator when he did.  When I first got the game a bit over a year ago, his generator was the first thing I downloaded for it.  I had just been laid off of work and needed a project to improve my C# skills.  The work he did on his generator inspired me to start writing my own as a learning project.  And, man, have I learned a lot :)

So, Jason, I salute you!  You are a gentleman and a scholar, a great programmer, and from what I've read on your various forums, a heck of a nice guy, too :)  Keep up the great work!

Thank you OggDude, it really means a lot to me.

I have much the same feeling as OggDude about him as he does about me. We are not in competition in any way. This isn't for profit. We do this, because we love these games and we love to share them with others.

Our apps are also very different and I would guess they also appeal to different segments of the gaming population. I've heard of some groups even using both!

I hope that OggDude continues his work for a very long time to support those who are enjoying his builder and I intend on doing the same.

Thank you again OggDude, and also thank you to everyone using my builder and OggDudes for their games. You have help build this great community of gamers both here and on the d20 Radio forums.

-JRR

OggDude and bradknowles like this

New update... with ships!

2014.10.02 v0.1.13.0

• You can now create modify and save Vehicle Archetypes -- Vehicle Archetypes are meant to represent basic ships that have not yet been modified or customized

• Fixed a bug that would sometimes not update the Earned XP textbox on the Character -> Attributes pane when switching between characters
kaosoe likes this

Minor, but important update for FaD players.

2014.10.10 v0.1.13.1

• Added base power rating checkbox to the Career content editor to support Force and Destiny Careers
kaosoe likes this

Hey. How do I go about installing the content? Any chance of a small text file in the ZIP explaining what is required? You know - for the dumb ones - like me :)

Don't worry. Worked it out.

I'm glad you figured it out! I should be posting a new version of the content next week. It will have a lot of stuff from Force and Destiny (but of course the rules text will be stripped out).

kaosoe likes this

2014.10.17 v0.1.13.2

• You can now hide individual upgrade within a power tree (for example the Heal/Harm tree)

• Redesign of many of the content search/edit panes

• Fixed a bug that would not always reset the list of starting specializations

2014.11.04 v0.1.15.0

• You can now create Customized Vehicles from a Vehicle Archetype (found in Content)

• You can now change the Characteristic used for a Skill using Mechanical Bonuses

• The XP Cost of a Power Tree’s basic power can now be edited

• Mechanical Bonuses from the basic power of a Power Tree will now be calculated on Characters

• Improved the search for Talents

• Fixed a bug that was removing attachments from non-custom gear in a Character’s inventory

• A lot of design improvements