Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JasonRR

Content and Character Builder

125 posts in this topic

added =)

Thank you! That doc is the best place to keep good ideas that I might not be able to get around to in the short term.

Ok, I had one of those moments where I knew exactly how to fix something to make it better end to end, so here it is:

2013.10.29 v0.1.5.6

• Added a check box on Specializations to add Base Power Rating (max 1) as you would see in the FSE specs

• Cleaned up a few instances of the Power Rating Name setting not being pushed through

You can now remove and Power Rating traits you were using to increase a character's rating due to taking the appropriate spec.

This was a long time coming. I streamlined the mechanical bonuses and made them far more intuitive. Please let me know what you think.

2013.10.29 v0.1.6.0

• Major change to how mechanical bonuses are handled behind the scenes

• Added a new UI to any editors where mechanical bonuses are used
Edited by JasonRR

Small update to fix a bug.

2013.11.01 v0.1.6.1

• Fixed a bug that could cause invalid numbers when a character has mechanical bonuses that originate from Power Upgrades
Edited by JasonRR

I love this, I think it's a fantastic program.

But 1 hour into entering the information in to the content bit is so dull i've closed the program down and probably won't go back to it.  :(

But once you get it in, the thing is like magic. 

I am only entering the info that I need, when I need it, otherwise that is way too much info to do at one time.

Just a thought. I am player, so that does make it a little easier.

I love this, I think it's a fantastic program.

But 1 hour into entering the information in to the content bit is so dull i've closed the program down and probably won't go back to it.  :(

This has come up enough that I am planning on writing an export portion so that I can export the FFG content with no details and share it. Now, I haven't typed up all of the content either. Only what I am using with my group, because, as you said, it is a bit dull. So please (anyone), if you have content, feel free to share it.

Almost got an exporter finished. I have much of the content (which will have all of the descriptions cleared). I hope this will help people get started.

Heh. I really liked entering info to the builder, because it got me acquainted with the talents in a quick & easy way. I find it much easier to memorize things if I write those things down. So for me it was a GM exercise.

Good to hear you're coming out with some shared content, JRR. 

New update to help me share content with you.

2013.11.01 v0.1.6.2

• Added an export settings page to export content… mostly so I could export my content to you

Sample content is now available here!

I haven't entered everything and I encourage others to post and share their content, but this will get you started.

Oh, maybe i'm an idiot. I thought there would have been a 'Take additional spec' button under the specialization tab.

Thanks!

How do i add more than 1 specialization to a character?

Thanks for responding to this, FreeXenon.

Rincew1nd, would it have been helpful for me to have an "add specialization" button on the Character Specialization pane? Are there any other areas that could use a similar treatment?

Edited by JasonRR

Just a heads up. I am working on attachments and modifications for items and will try to include how to create the attachments in EotE in my builder. Also, I may have some good news on the printing front coming in the short-term, but I don't have any details just yet.

Small update. Almost done with Attachments and Modifications, but I had to get this out once I found it.

2013.11.20 v0.1.6.3

• Fixed a display bug with Skill Rank Mechanical Bonuses

I must say this program looks really nice. I have a character gen half finished but using win forms laying around somewhere. This is laid out so much better.

Anyway a few thoughts after using it for a few minutes:

It would nice to be able to load profiles, ie star wars, firefly, or a fantasy setting etc so all content for that profile is loaded automatically without having extra skills, specializations races etc loading up with it. 

Skills: They seem kinda awkward, my career skills are loaded up by default but loading up additional skills seem to be all or a subset of type (fantasy, Science Fantasy). I'd rather load up individual skills as needed, or better yet load up by a profile as mentioned above. I could be wrong here, I just used it for a few, maybe you can outline skill profiles in one of the xml files.

I love the fact it shows you what dice to use...

The advancement tab seems a bit awkward too. I was wanting to make changes to characteristics under the attribute page and add specializations under the specifications tab. This is something I'd get use to after a while but it was a bit confusing. It would actually be nice if there was a button to push that guided you through character advancement using assigned XP, even tracking if it's character creation (pick spec, spend xp on characteristics etc) or just using additional xp. 

But my thoughts aside I really like it and am very impressed.

This brings me to my next question: Has anyone gotten all the content entered and exported for EotE?

I must say this program looks really nice. I have a character gen half finished but using win forms laying around somewhere. This is laid out so much better.

Anyway a few thoughts after using it for a few minutes:

It would nice to be able to load profiles, ie star wars, firefly, or a fantasy setting etc so all content for that profile is loaded automatically without having extra skills, specializations races etc loading up with it. 

Skills: They seem kinda awkward, my career skills are loaded up by default but loading up additional skills seem to be all or a subset of type (fantasy, Science Fantasy). I'd rather load up individual skills as needed, or better yet load up by a profile as mentioned above. I could be wrong here, I just used it for a few, maybe you can outline skill profiles in one of the xml files.

I love the fact it shows you what dice to use...

The advancement tab seems a bit awkward too. I was wanting to make changes to characteristics under the attribute page and add specializations under the specifications tab. This is something I'd get use to after a while but it was a bit confusing. It would actually be nice if there was a button to push that guided you through character advancement using assigned XP, even tracking if it's character creation (pick spec, spend xp on characteristics etc) or just using additional xp. 

But my thoughts aside I really like it and am very impressed.

This brings me to my next question: Has anyone gotten all the content entered and exported for EotE?

Thanks for the feedback!

Profiles: There are filters in the Settings Page, but they don't currently filter the dropdowns in the character panes. They do filter all search grids though. Another user suggested that I change to allow multiple Settings or Genres for each Spec, Career, etc... I do need to revise the area at some point, but it hasn't been a priority.

Skills: I need to change this. Its a holdover from debugging the skills pane that I simple haven't changed. Please feel free to help me brainstorm on a design for this.

Advancements: This has come up from another user recently and I completely agree. I kept using this through the "happy path" and never though about it, but it would totally make sense to allow you to add Characteristics from the Attributes Pane or add Specializations from the Specialization Pane. I don't think I will add anything to separate character creation from regular advancement due to the design under the hood.

Content: I have "empty" content posted in the main link. Check it out.

Skills: I need to change this. Its a holdover from debugging the skills pane that I simple haven't changed. Please feel free to help me brainstorm on a design for this.

Let me think on the skill pane a bit.

I did notice that I created a new character who has 60 xp left to spend, but on the main character screen it is listing his xp as 0. I was messing around with random stuff, adding talents, subtracting talents and other advancements so that might have thrown something off.

Let me think on the skill pane a bit.

I did notice that I created a new character who has 60 xp left to spend, but on the main character screen it is listing his xp as 0. I was messing around with random stuff, adding talents, subtracting talents and other advancements so that might have thrown something off.

I will be on vacation next week, so take your time since I won't be able to get to it for at least a week.

I should probably have a total XP box somewhere, because races/species have starting xp and it is sort of hidden. The XP on the start page is just for earned xp (I also use it for XP from obligation/duty).

I hope everyone is having a great start to their holidays, but as tends to be the case, this time of year is crazy busy. Expect few, if any, updates for a while, but keep the comments and suggestions coming.

Thanks for all of your support.

I got this suggestion the other day and I wanted to address it publicly to let others know how I handle this in my games and what I am planning to do to make it a bit more usable.

LandShark said:

"Allow a "GM Mode" on character sheets which allows direct adding of talents (outside of specialization), changing of costs on the advancement, modifying Encumbrance limit, etc. With a highlight identifying it as "Outside rules/illegal" if viewed later. For Instance, in the campaign I'm running, every race of character gets 1 free talent from a pool of three designated by their race. As it stands, I cannot provide a free Talent choice via the Trait content, nor can I add it directly to a character sheet, without designing a "Racial Talent Tree" - but if I do that, then it autocalculates the cost of additional specializations as if this Racial specialization counted against them. While possible, this means I have to then fudge the starting or earned XP, which invalidates the XP counter for the things I DO want to keep track of following the rules. Allowing a GM mode which goes beyond the inherent strictures of the game system allows for the unique events, advancements, drawbacks that come through play to be added to a character or NPC sheet as necessary."

Free/arbitrary traits are supported in my builder. There is no GM mode or "houserules" flag, and it is unlikely that I will ever add those indicators, but you can quickly and easily add a free trait to a character that will cost 0 xp.

Before I explain how to do this, I will be adding a new kind of mechanical bonus for Talents. This will allow you to add a Talent rank to a character via a trait rather than having to include a duplicate trait to cover what the talent already does.

- First, open a character and go to the Advancements pane.

- Click 'Add' to add a new Advancement.

- Select Trait from the Advancement Type dropdown.

- Hover over the item in the grid and wait for the info popup.

- In the info popup click the title area (notice the downward pointing arrow) and select the Trait you wish to add to the character.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this or if there is more that you need to make your games really shine. Enjoy!

Thanks,

Edited by JasonRR

This is a very neat builder and seems like it could be very useful for conversion games. At some point I'm planning on using a golden age of piracy game in this system and you builder looks like it will be helpful.