Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JasonRR

Content and Character Builder

125 posts in this topic

I see. Your work around will work just fine for now. It is really easy to do.

Honestly, I have been using another program which is pretty good until I found this program yesterday or so, but I really, really like how clean and usable your program is and I will most likely be using this one from now on. =) 

The most important feature for me, at this point, would be printing, otherwise this great program has a much more limited use since I cannot print out a character sheet to bring to the table.

Good stuff!  Keep it up!

I see. Your work around will work just fine for now. It is really easy to do. Honestly, I have been using another program which is pretty good until I found this program yesterday or so, but I really, really like how clean and usable your program is and I will most likely be using this one from now on. =)  The most important feature for me, at this point, would be printing, otherwise this great program has a much more limited use since I cannot print out a character sheet to bring to the table. Good stuff!  Keep it up!

Well then, I suppose I should give up on the possibility of someone else working with me on printing and do it myself!

I'll be at the UI18 conference in Boston next week but I'll have my laptop so if I get some spare time, I'll start digging into the print stuff.

I'd like to do a quick informal pole. Would you like to see ships and vehicles or printable character sheets?

I originally had ships and vehicles as my next major feature, but if the community would rather see printing, I am happy to oblige.

I just got back from UI18 and it was a blast. It was great talking to lots of other UX professionals and learning from some of the best in the industry. You'll likely see a number of updates soon based on what I learned and while I am researching character printing.

Totally jealous man! Some of my favorite training was UX training (Human Factors International). Good stuff. It was one of the few times in my career where I was surrounded by people who spoke my language! =) 

I suppose you interest in UX explains how great this app is put together.

Mad props to ya! 

Absolutely, I was one of the only software engineers and UX designers there. The only other one I met worked for Apple dealing with their internal app store, but everyone was awesome! It was hosted by UIE and all of those guys were extremely helpful and friendly. It was the first time that I was surrounded by 

Anything really neat happening in the UX arena? I have been out of the loop for sooo long! =(

There is a ton going on right now. In fact, UX is really starting to take off all over. Apple has a lot to do with it, at least for the start of this push, but designers are getting hired for everything from internal tools, to medical apps, to financial services. It is a really great time to be a designer and even better to be a designer and engineer. It just really gratifying to see that what I love to do is really valued.

I'd like to do a quick informal pole. Would you like to see ships and vehicles or printable character sheets?

I originally had ships and vehicles as my next major feature, but if the community would rather see printing, I am happy to oblige.

5 days later, he responded...

Printable character sheets would be boss. 

Whereas, I suppose, ships and vehicles might be BoSS...

5 days later, he responded...

Printable character sheets would be boss. 

Whereas, I suppose, ships and vehicles might be BoSS...

I'm not sure how to count your vote, awayputurwpn... (;

Both will take me significant time to build, so I'm happy to go either way and I have not had a chance to start either due to the conference.

Hey! Thanks for the hard work, I love the style of this builder. I'm actually trying to enter all talents with a quick description of what they do. It is taking me hours though... (and still on letter D.)  :(

I just had a question. Is it possible to remove tags? I tend to get tired and almost sleepy doing that stuff, plus it builds up tension, so I sometime type more quickly than I should. Any way to remove those mistakes? 

Thanks!

PS: By the way, I'm voting for the ships just to be contradictory.  :P And I like it.

Edited by CamilleBC

Hey! Thanks for the hard work, I love the style of this builder. I'm actually trying to enter all talents with a quick description of what they do. It is taking me hours though... (and still on letter D.) :(

I just had a question. Is it possible to remove tags? I tend to get tired and almost sleepy doing that stuff, plus it builds up tension, so I sometime type more quickly than I should. Any way to remove those mistakes?

Thanks!

PS: By the way, I'm voting for the ships just to be contradictory. :P And I like it.

Yes, go to settings/tags and press the "Scan" button. This will scan all tagged files and clean up your tags so that the auto complete only has tags you've kept.

I hope this answers your question and thanks for using my builder! Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Edited by JasonRR

Well the only thing is putting 400 pages into a builder.  :D

Do you have any patience in stock? I could use some  ;)

And thanks for the answer, I actually pressed scan but everything disappeared and I thought I did a mistake. I'll probably just have to wait a bit longer!  :lol:

Well the only thing is putting 400 pages into a builder.  :D

Do you have any patience in stock? I could use some  ;)

And thanks for the answer, I actually pressed scan but everything disappeared and I thought I did a mistake. I'll probably just have to wait a bit longer!  :lol:

Only the tags you are no longer using should disappear. I hope this was the case. If there is something I can do to make this more intuitive, please let me know. I will likely have at least one or two more releases before I can publicly release anything relating to printing or ships, though it looks like I will be starting with printing.

A small update with a number of usability enhancements.

2013.10.26 v0.1.5.4

• Cleaned up a few areas where tags were not fully implemented

• Added ‘toast’ messages to help confirm some user actions

• Settings now open in a faux modal window

• An add button has been added to each item in the Find section of the Character Inventory Pane

I was inspired by BrashFink to add a Lovecraftian setting to my builder.

I am still looking into printing, but in the meantime enjoy!

2013.10.28 v0.1.5.5

• Added a Lovecraftian setting, because BrashFink on the FFG boards inspired me too

• Added PowerDie as an option to be added from the Mechanical bonus

One thing I will say is that the setting classification for things is a good start, however, given campaigns within a setting may have different requirements. For example in a Sci-Fi setting we could have Star Wars, Star Trek, Gattaca, Shadowrun, or Firefly which will definitely have some skill differences, although some of this may be science-fantasy, but you get the picture. Perhaps you can change the setting label to Genre which seems more appropriate, and let us assign a item to more than one genre. Then the next step would be to have the ability to add campaigns or settings in which we can choose a genre or 2 which would give the base items, and then from there we can add and subtract items as needed to make up our specific campaign. 

=)

One thing I will say is that the setting classification for things is a good start, however, given campaigns within a setting may have different requirements. For example in a Sci-Fi setting we could have Star Wars, Star Trek, Gattaca, Shadowrun, or Firefly which will definitely have some skill differences, although some of this may be science-fantasy, but you get the picture. Perhaps you can change the setting label to Genre which seems more appropriate, and let us assign a item to more than one genre. Then the next step would be to have the ability to add campaigns or settings in which we can choose a genre or 2 which would give the base items, and then from there we can add and subtract items as needed to make up our specific campaign. 

=)

I like the way you are thinking here. Setting was sort of initially added as an afterthought, but it has slowly become more and more important to me and apparently others as well. If you wouldn't mind adding that as a detailed entry in my Suggestions doc, I would love to get to that sometime in the future. Others have suggested allowing custom Settings (or Genres), but more specific than what I have is what Tags are for.