Sign in to follow this  
SanguinousRex

I don't "get" starship combat if players own a Wayfarer.

My main issue with the Wayfarer is that it is, to me, the only viable option among the default ships. Both the Firespray and the YT-1300 are a bit too iconic. I get the whole brand recognition argument, but that's the same argument that gave us a Sith Empire identical to the Galactic Empire - right down to the Imperial uniforms - in Star Wars: the Old Republic, and I don't like it.

*grumpy old man*

To me it's like the game is saying "you can be a wannabe Han Solo, a wannabe Boba Fett, or have your own unique and kinda cool cargo hauler." And while I realize I'm free to change that in my own games. there's not that many alternatives in the core book, and I'd like to get a few games under my belt before starting to make up my own stuff.

Thankfully my players went "aww, no turtle? We'll take the Wayfarer then!" so it wasn't a problem. :)

Edited by Slaunyeh

I'm in a game where the 3 ship options didn't appeal to any of us players. We talked to the GM and wound up with a Citadel-class with some unique mechanical issues - repairable over the long run, but nothing we can fix in the short term, and severe enough to make up for the credit gap between a Citadel and the other starter options. I think we're all pretty pleased with it..

My main issue with the Wayfarer is that it is, to me, the only viable option among the default ships. Both the Firespray and the YT-1300 are a bit too iconic. I get the whole brand recognition argument, but that's the same argument that gave us a Sith Empire identical to the Galactic Empire - right down to the Imperial uniforms - in Star Wars: the Old Republic, and I don't like it.

*grumpy old man*

To me it's like the game is saying "you can be a wannabe Han Solo, a wannabe Boba Fett, or have your own unique and kinda cool cargo hauler." And while I realize I'm free to change that in my own games. there's not that many alternatives in the core book, and I'd like to get a few games under my belt before starting to make up my own stuff.

Thankfully my players went "aww, no turtle? We'll take the Wayfarer then!" so it wasn't a problem. :)

I agree with you but the YT1300 is not exactly iconic, each one was customised off the factory line with customised modular sections. I would suggest getting the Haynes manual for the millennium falcon since it does how individual a yt1300 can be. The Corellian sourcebook will also likely be a good source of other ideas. The core book does say that the wayfarer is the choice to go for where starship combat is not going to be a factor.

*grumpy old man*

I like something different myself.  With GM permission there's no reason you can't take the stats from a YT-1300, or something similar and basically re-skin it.  Sure it's stats might be the same as a YT-1300, but it's actually a Floovian X14.  You are also allowed to use different ships per the book if your GM is ok with it.  EotE just recommends staying below 125,000 if I recall (I don't have the book in front of me.)  As a GM if my players came up with a set of stats that's reasonably comparable to one of the starting ships I'd probably allow it, with the caveat that if I discover something later that I hadn't realized might be abusive the ship will need to be tweaked.

Han Solo "She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Watch your mouth, kid, or you’re gonna find yourself floating home! We’ll be safe enough once we make the jump to hyperspace. Besides, I know a few maneuvers. We’ll lose ‘em.

"Uh, that was your maneuver? Moving slightly to the left?"

Google Star Wars Revisted.

Edited by Jadolerr

Ok, seperate question but still related to starships (and my team lol)

So it says that you can repair starship strain 1 time per character per turn to reduce strain by 1.  It says you can attempt to reduce ship damage ONE TIME per encounter.... but it doesn't say if you only repair 1 point or more.

Anyone?

So it says that you can repair starship strain 1 time per character per turn to reduce strain by 1.  It says you can attempt to reduce ship damage ONE TIME per encounter.... but it doesn't say if you only repair 1 point or more.

Anyone?

extra success = more ship repaired.  plus there are talents like solid repairs that add extra amount repaired

Anyone?

extra success = more ship repaired.  plus there are talents like solid repairs that add extra amount repaired

Ok, so a ship repair is like repairing a robot but you can only do it ONE time per space encounter.  I don't get it though because it says that repairs take time and money and you have to pay 500 credits PER hull Trauma...

... but if you can heal once a battle and heal multiple hull trauma each battle enounter... there might be no reason to spend any money.

Anyone else, isn't this true?

I've always been a fan of the freighters like the Millennium FalconEbon Hawk, and the one given to you in SWTOR. Aside from looking visually appealing, they also feel more like a second character than some floating collection of rooms. Similar to how Serenity was more than simply a ship in Firefly.

But that's pretty much my only real deciding factor in ship choice...

Well my party during their adventure had lost the krayt fang, had a rather intresting escape pod survival arc, and they stole a Wayfarer. They actually got alot of theat trying to find a yt 1300 so i told them they found a ship but that it wasn't what they expected.

It wasn't long before they realized that it could get the fighter bay, a better engine and a light turbolaser. Now their sessions are the focused on buying these things. Trying to find jobs opened up all kinds of stuff. The survivalist and the scout had entered a hunting tournement for a cash prize. They also have been doing a great deal of trading, since the scout also has some of trader. He took this after the wayfarer since he knew he could get better buy/sell prices while they can haul more. They are making a killing off of shipping raw materials.

Now it wouldn't be fun without some pirate intervention and they did have the foresight to upgrade the quad laser to be a rotating turret well in advance. The thing is, the wayfarer can take alot of hits and sine the quad turret is still only 2 purple against size 4 or smaller ships since its an anti fighter weapon, they can still defend quite well. Offensive space combat is probably its weakest and even that can be improved apon.

I rambled a bit but i think the wayfarer was the most intresting choice anyway.

Anyone?

Ok, so a ship repair is like repairing a robot but you can only do it ONE time per space encounter.  I don't get it though because it says that repairs take time and money and you have to pay 500 credits PER hull Trauma...

... but if you can heal once a battle and heal multiple hull trauma each battle encounter... there might be no reason to spend any money.

Anyone else, isn't this true?

Yes:

You can repair hull trauma, for free*, once per encounter. If you are receiving only a couple of Hull Trauma per encounter this means you could never have to spend credits on repairs.

but No:

Ok first off, the 500 credits/HT is just a rough baseline, and the book specifically says this. So the actual cost could be nothing, or 10 credits/point, or 1000 credits/point. Just had to get that out of the way...

Secondly... Crits are not part of this. So if you take a crit, you gotta repair that because if you don't all future crits are just gonna be worse, which leads to my third point...

*Read the Mechanics skill description on pg111 an 112. It says in no uncertain terms that if the GM says you can't repair something without buying the appropriate replacement hardware, you can't. If he's nice he might let you to a quick fix that applies an ongoing penalty, but you'll still have to do proper repairs eventually.

So in essence, if you try and do the "free-in-flight-repairs" trick, and the GM decides that you're abusing this generous gift, the GM can just say "Nope, for that you'll need 80 kilos of durasteel plating, ten spools of various cables, and replacement control boards for a CEC 88T8 flight control system, and no I won't let you flip a destiny point to magically have all that stuff" and there's nothing you can do about it except suck it up, get to a starport, and shell out the credits.

Ooo yeah. I could hard-limit the healing value (GM call) unless they have the proper credits worth of material. Good call.

Just understand the point of the free* repair rule before you do. If the Players get themselves in a bind, get shot to poo and exceeding their HT threshold, and find themselves adrift, they can make the emergency repair, get their ship moving again, and get the adventure back on track.

If on the other hand they are just ignoring their ships repairs until the middle of combat to save credits, there's all kinds of nasty things you can do to send the message that this isn't cool.

Start by just saying "Hey, that's not what that option is really for and if you abuse it like that I'll have to make the narrative match..."

If they refuse then try something simple, and a little funny... have them fly to Correllia (or some other civilized planet), on the way in they are ordered to make an emergency landing, surrounded by emergency response speeders and their ship covered (and filled) with fire retardant foam. Afterward, they get a stern talking to from the chief of the starport's flight safety office about how they need to conduct proper maintenance and the hazards of allowing a fuel leak that large to go unserviced.

Did I mention the foam smells like the wrong end of a wet bantha? It does, and everyone they interact with for the rest of the adventure will point this out.

If that doesn't get the message across... they end up ticking off some Crime Lord, Rebel officer, Imperial Commander, ect. in an up coming adventure. While being ambused by bounty hunters/commandos for the third time this adventure, have the enemy groups leader announce something like "You guys really need to fix your ship, alpha particles might not be all that dangerous, but even a 50 year old bulk frieghters sensors can see that reactor leak you've got from half way across the sector."

Still abusing it? Then I'd hit em with the penality for temporary repairs.

Still don't get it? Now it's time to just say they need to buy some parts.

I posted this elsewhere too but replace the entire space mechanics with the X-Wing game. COMPLETELY, ships to buy, upgrades all from the xwing game. it limits some things but no body cares its still waaaay more fun than the stupid dice rolling for invisible 3D space maneuvers 

Think the problem is the ship size you let them have. I think it's a fair trade off-- heavier shields and armor, more firepower and more guns. Trade off its slower and can't do as many actions as a combat fighter ship.

They should think about getting a smaller ship or use the bigger ship for bigger combats. Use the smaller ships for getaways and or smaller runs.

Let them feel the consequence of a larger ship vs a smaller combat ship. You could also show them the advantage in a large scale combat vs other larger ships. Or just tell them-- your not gunna get those maneuvers because of the rules.

Think the problem is the ship size you let them have. I think it's a fair trade off-- heavier shields and armor, more firepower and more guns. Trade off its slower and can't do as many actions as a combat fighter ship.

They should think about getting a smaller ship or use the bigger ship for bigger combats. Use the smaller ships for getaways and or smaller runs.

Let them feel the consequence of a larger ship vs a smaller combat ship. You could also show them the advantage in a large scale combat vs other larger ships. Or just tell them-- your not gunna get those maneuvers because of the rules.

Pssssst. This discussion is nearly 18 months old. :D

I believe Age of Rebellion has actions specific to Capital Ships (Silhouette 5+) vessels in the form of Defensive and Offensive Barrages. Though an unmodified Wayfarer is crap at any form of combat, though it could be modified to carry a starfighter or two or to add some turret weaponry.

Pssssst. This discussion is nearly 18 months old. :D

And yet people are still commenting -- huh...

By the sounds of it, the party wouldn't be able to afford the gas for a ship this size..

Not for any long trips, that is why they must be having to stop at every podunk little planet and station along the way to put on a show and earn enough cash to get to the next one.  Throw an adventure in there every couple of stops and it sounds like fun.

You have three stock starting choices in EotE.

Firespray - A car - fast and agile, very limited cargo space.

YT-1300 - A van - Not quite as maneuverable, but still decent and holds pretty good cargo.  The A-Team does pretty well in their van.

Wayfarer - Semi Truck - It moves forward, and turns...slowly.  It holds lots of space, but not the ship to take if you're planning on a lot of space combat (unless you're tricking it out to be a fighter carrier)

And everyone knows that every Semi Truck needs a Trans Am.

american-truckers-relives-epic-smokey-an

So stick a Z-95 with an ace pilot in there.   ;)

You have three stock starting choices in EotE.

Firespray - A car - fast and agile, very limited cargo space.

YT-1300 - A van - Not quite as maneuverable, but still decent and holds pretty good cargo.  The A-Team does pretty well in their van.

Wayfarer - Semi Truck - It moves forward, and turns...slowly.  It holds lots of space, but not the ship to take if you're planning on a lot of space combat (unless you're tricking it out to be a fighter carrier)

And everyone knows that every Semi Truck needs a Trans Am.

TV shows and movies combined can't be wrong!

7786642736_007ce40672_z.jpg

Edited by Braendig