Sign in to follow this  
Mereghost

Imperial Creed

Hi folks,

I have some (not that much) knowledge of the 40k universe (or backdrop universe as you wish :P) but recently, after being inquired by one of my players, I noticed that are some tidbits of info missing (and I can't find the answer).

What are  the virtues preached by the Imperial Creed? My guess (and the answer my player got) was the classical warrior virtues plus obedience, subservience and humility.

Any thoughts on that?

Kind of depends on what version of the Imperial Creed you're talking about too.  You have to remember the Imperial Cult isn't a single cult, but multiple cult each believing similiar but not exactly the same thing.  A good analog would be Christianity today, where they all the different denominations and such believe the same basics, but after that things get... touchy...

Basically they all preach that the Emperor is God.  Serve the Emperor in any capacity that he requires of you, do so willingly, be willing to sacrifice everything and anything for the good of the Imperium.  Hate the Mutant, the Psyker, the Witch.  Occasionaly the Ruinous Powers is lightly touched upon, but the Imperial Cult doesn't like to really mention them to the masses, so generally the masses are totally ignorant about the forces of Chaos.

After that, it becomes different depending on the cult, and who they are preaching too.  Obviously a cleric preaching to a noble is going to be very different then a cleric preaching to some lower hive dweller.  A cleric preaching to adepts of the munitorium is going to be different then a cleric preaching to an Adept cataloging tithes from sector planets.

Plus then the indivdual clerics beliefs are going to change thing.  One who follows Saint Drusus is going to be much more different then a Cleric who holds the Patron Saint of Lost Causes as his charge.

Imperial values, hmm...

-Fear and hate the unknown.

-Knowledge leads to damnation.

-Innocence proves nothing.

-Never question your superiors.

-Always venerate His Holy Majesty.

-Pray often.

-Cowardice in His service is treason.

-Hate Xenos, Mutants, Heretics, and Traitors without remorse.

-The galaxy belongs to His Holy Majesty. All others desecrate His grounds.

Xanthess:

Thanks for the answers. I understand that with the breadth of the Imperium it's impossible to hold every cult the same.

From what I know of the WH40K universe, seems that the only values are somewhat what Milova said. Obedience, courage, hate of the Xenos, Mutants and Witches and the blessitudes of ignorance.

That alone form a tiby core of it, which leads to my  other question: What constitutes "too different" to tolerate?

And really, those work like the Ten Commandments (sp?), but what about virues and sins? Does the Imperial Cult have a list like the seven deadly sins?

Mereghost said:

Xanthess:

Thanks for the answers. I understand that with the breadth of the Imperium it's impossible to hold every cult the same.

From what I know of the WH40K universe, seems that the only values are somewhat what Milova said. Obedience, courage, hate of the Xenos, Mutants and Witches and the blessitudes of ignorance.

That alone form a tiby core of it, which leads to my  other question: What constitutes "too different" to tolerate?

And really, those work like the Ten Commandments (sp?), but what about virues and sins? Does the Imperial Cult have a list like the seven deadly sins?

I wouldn't imagine that they have a list of <i>sins</i> that are specificly taboo as the 10 Commandments points out seeing that they teach you to hate and fear the unknown and destroy without thought or reason anything blasphomous.  In anycase, most of the sins mentioned already have an association of sorts with the Runious ones so obviously if that trait leads you to Chaos the end result is obvious as a few bolter shells will be enough to put such heretical thinking out of your mind (as well as alot of the grey matter to boot!)

In anycase, I wouldn't be surprised if on some random Imperial world they have specific rules like that, you could always make one up if you want to.

Oh sorry, I forgot a couple really important ones last time:

-Honor the machine spirit lest you incure its wrath.

-Innovation is a sin, for all knowledge already exists and waits to be rediscovered by the Omnissiah's priesthood.

Milova said:

-Honor the machine spirit lest you incure its wrath.

-Innovation is a sin, for all knowledge already exists and waits to be rediscovered by the Omnissiah's priesthood.

Those strike me more as specific to the Tech-Priests of Mars, rather than the majority of the citizenry. But the idea that curiosity is dangerous seems to be a regular tenet in the Thoughts of the Day that crop up in the literature and on the player handouts. Sayings like "An open mind is a doorway to corruption" (pulled from Dawn of War; I've been playing it lately) seem to be an inherent part of the Imperial Creed, emphasizing the message that you shouldn't go looking for knowledge, because it's dangerous and breeds heresy and corruption.

ebony14 said:

Milova said:

-Honor the machine spirit lest you incur its wrath.

Those strike me more as specific to the Tech-Priests of Mars, rather than the majority of the citizenry. But the idea that curiosity is dangerous seems to be a regular tenet in the Thoughts of the Day that crop up in the literature and on the player handouts. Sayings like "An open mind is a doorway to corruption" (pulled from Dawn of War; I've been playing it lately) seem to be an inherent part of the Imperial Creed, emphasizing the message that you shouldn't go looking for knowledge, because it's dangerous and breeds heresy and corruption.

Possibly but the essential idea is that people in the Imperium don't understand how their technology works with exception to the tech priests. The average citizen thinks technology is paramount to magic since it's the tech-spirit that makes things work. Granted, there are likely a many jaded people who live in hives that doubt these notions but they certainly don't know any better. Even the Tech-Priests who know, and I use that term loosely, how technology works, surround it in dogma and superstition.

I know if you look on Wikipedia and do a search for Imperial Quotes, you can find a good list, as well as buying a copy of the Infrantryman's Uplifting Primer, which has a few prayers and creeds the PDFs and imperial Guard memorize. (Most along the line of "This is my rifle. There is no other like it and it is mine" kindof thing.)

Yes I know I butchered that line preocupado.gif

I have to agree with what everyone else is saying.

But I know a few things that would be considered a sin:

• Protecting mutants
  • Harboring ill will towards the imperium
  • Dirupting the Imperium

Actuall to make a long thing short: Almost anything that could effect the Imperium in a bad way is considered a sin. For it "goes against his will" so stealing from a fellow worker is a crime, but stealing from a noble govenor is a sin.

I don't know about the rest of you but that is more or less the image I get.

Mereghost said:

Hi folks,

I have some (not that much) knowledge of the 40k universe (or backdrop universe as you wish :P) but recently, after being inquired by one of my players, I noticed that are some tidbits of info missing (and I can't find the answer).

What are  the virtues preached by the Imperial Creed? My guess (and the answer my player got) was the classical warrior virtues plus obedience, subservience and humility.

Any thoughts on that?

They draw heavily on Catholicism.  And most of the other posters are right in saying "depends".  Different planets/systems have different takes on the Imperial Creed, but there are certain commonalities which the other posters have already covered.

For most Imperial Citizens what you would normally consider "sins" are identical in the Imperial Creed.  Chastity is a virtue most places...others, breeding as many boys as possible for the Imperial Guard outweighs traditional Chastity/Marriage virtues.  Stealing is still a sin.  Murder is still a sin.  Etc. etc.  It's all conditional of course.  I.E. Stealing from Xenos isn't a sin, it's considered righteous, especially if you murder them first.

Mereghost is correct when he says its conditional.  The lines get even more blurred when it comes to the wills of Nobles and High Lords, even outright hypocrisy in some regards.

You have to realize that the Imperium is, more or less, scared of itself.  The High Lords hold control over the masses by using the idea of the Emperor.  It's been a while since I played the TT, but isn't the Emperor actually dead?  The Dark Angels secret?  I can't remember.

I do remember that Navigators, which are essential to the survival of the Imperium, are actually mutants.  It's a prime example of where you are allowed to break the Imperial Creed.

Ordinary citizens are encouraged - by fear of death - to obey without question.  In that way, they are willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good of humanity, or, more likely, the benefit of a High Lord or Noble.

I know I've read a short story once that had a group of centaur people worshiping a statue of the emperor that fell from the sky, the other group on the planet worshiped Khorne.

I've read fanfic that changed the Emperor to Emperess once due to the amazon esque planet the cleric was on, really the Imperium is excellent at adapting it's doctrine to fit the new planet if they feel it is worth bringing to the fold without war.

Velvetears said:

Also it's Every Citizens duty to breed.

Lots.

As I see it, the population of the Imperium is such that, no matter what anybody does, that population figure is not going to get any smaller - enough people are born in the Imperium every second to counteract the millions and billions that die in wars scattered across the galaxy. The Ministorum doesn't have to command that people breed... people will do it anyway.