Gambin

Success question

So you hit with your trusty blaster pistol and score two successes does that mean you get +2 damage or +1 (one success for the hit and the other for the bonus damage)? I hate these kind of questions but it's the only thing I'm a little confused on.

If you cancel out all the dice and end up with two successes that should equate to +1 damage. It requires at least one success to hit.

So:

1 net success = base hit

2 net success = +1 dmg

3 net success= +2 dmg

If you cancel out all the dice and end up with two successes that should equate to +1 damage. It requires at least one success to hit.

So:

1 net success = base hit

2 net success = +1 dmg

3 net success= +2 dmg

Nope. 1 Net success is +1 damage. You're off by 1 in each of your cases.

So:

1 net success = base hit

2 net success = +1 dmg

3 net success= +2 dmg

While agree the wording in the Core Rulebook is a bit vague it's much clearer in the Beginner Game rulebook on page 15.

"When making a combat check, after calculating overall success, each remaining Success result adds +1 damage to a successful attack."

So, this means that getting one more Success than Failure is required to hit. On top of that each addition Success will add +1 to the attacks damage.

So:

1 net success = base hit

2 net success = +1 dmg

3 net success= +2 dmg

Each uncancelled Success adds damage. That means every Success that doesn't get cancelled by Failure. 

Simple, no?

So by that reasoning a straight wash is a successful hit?

I don't think so.

You play it how you want to, but at my table if you want to succeed at something you'll need to actually have a successful roll.

Edited by Dbuntu

Dbuntu, you're reading too much into my post. Of course a "wash" isn't a success. I was simply stating what the rules say. Total Damage = damage rating + net Success. 

Failure it still failure, but 1 Success = Damage +1. 

This was clarified a number of times by Jay Little and Sam Stewart. If you'd like, you can ask a rules question at the top of this page (More... > Customer Service > Rules Questions) but I'm telling you that what I've said is RAW and RAI. 

No, without uncanceled successes it's a failure.

The combat chapter clearly stats under action that 'each uncalceled Success adds +1 damage to a successful attack.'

When you have a successful attack, how many uncanceled successes must you have at the very least?  One.  That means you add +1 to the damage dealt by the weapon.  Two uncanceled successes would be +2 damage.

It's a common mistake given the base rules for measuring net success, I know I did it for a session or two.

I don't have my book handy so if you've got the text I'm more than happy to read it. But from the Beginner's Game (thank you Cajun for the text)

"When making a combat check, after calculating overall success, each remaining Success result adds +1 damage to a successful attack."

I read that to mean that to calculate overall success requires you to have a single uncancelled Success. The "remaining Success" wouldn't include the original because it's been spent already for the overall success, but I'm not claiming to be the expert of experts.

Edited by Dbuntu

I don't have my book handy so if you've got the text I'm more than happy to read it. But from the Beginner's Game (thank you Cajun for the text)

I read that to mean that to calculate overall success requires you to have a single uncancelled Success. The "remaining Success" wouldn't include the original because it's been spent already for the overall success, but I'm not claiming to be the expert of experts.
And you are free to play that way, but I don't believe that's what it is intending, and developers of the game have outright said that that is not the way damage is intended to be calculated.

Before soak, the minimum damage a weapon can do is base + 1.

The beginner's game was already written and printed before the devs found it necessary to clarify that bit of rules, and there may have been some misunderstanding in-house as well, since many weapons underwent damage modification early on in the Beta Testing period, after some clarifications were made to various rules in the Beta. You can read the PDF here—if you look at page 6, under the Autofire text, you will see something similar to what's in the Core Rulebook, to wit, "...each hit deals base damage plus the number of uncancelled [success] on the check."

This is more a point of interest, but yeah unless someone else has the book handy and can quote, I can point you towards the rules once I get back home tonight.

So you hit with your trusty blaster pistol and score two successes does that mean you get +2 damage or +1 (one success for the hit and the other for the bonus damage)? I hate these kind of questions but it's the only thing I'm a little confused on.

Official FAQ says Damage +2 in that instance.

-EF

I don't have my book handy so if you've got the text I'm more than happy to read it. But from the Beginner's Game (thank you Cajun for the text)

I read that to mean that to calculate overall success requires you to have a single uncancelled Success. The "remaining Success" wouldn't include the original because it's been spent already for the overall success, but I'm not claiming to be the expert of experts.

But you see it's not "spent" on counting as a success, the rules simply state it's a success if there's one or more uncanceled success. In addition to that the damage is calculated based on uncanceled successes.

You may be thinking of advantages as being spent.

Edited by Utsanomiko

Official FAQ says Damage +2 in that instance.

-EF

Alright, well if that's the official ruling then that's the official ruling. I personally don't think it makes any sense. In that case why have the base weapon damage in the first place instead of just making it one point higher?

Alright, well if that's the official ruling then that's the official ruling. I personally don't think it makes any sense. In that case why have the base weapon damage in the first place instead of just making it one point higher?

I don't understand why this is so "senseless". weapon damage + successes seems much more intuitive than weapon damage + successes -1. Maybe the weapon damage is intentionally one lower because you always get at least +1 from hitting?

I don't understand why this is so "senseless". weapon damage + successes seems much more intuitive than weapon damage + successes -1.

In my opinion it is more intuitive to say that one hits with one more success than failures and does the base damage and any further successes increase the damage.

I'm looking forward how the other players in my future group will interprete this issue.

Excellent, so the FAQ clearly states that every success is +1 damage. Obviously everyone is free to play it how they want though.

Edited by Gambin

I don't understand why this is so "senseless". weapon damage + successes seems much more intuitive than weapon damage + successes -1. Maybe the weapon damage is intentionally one lower because you always get at least +1 from hitting?

That's how it was in old World of Darkness and Monster's and other Childish Things, so anyone coming from a background where the first success is "base" and additional successes increase "base" can interpret it that way.

Heck, that's how I thought it went until I didn't hear it on the Order 66 Podcast. It's easier maths to just say 6+successes for a blaster pistol than saying 6+(successes-1).

-EF