Sign in to follow this  
Sergovan

Friendly to Yourself?

Howlrunner and Captain Jonus pass off abilities that allow friendly ships to reroll attack dice if they are a certain range from them.

Can they treat themselves as friendly ships? (thus getting their own reroll ability)

I looked through the recent FAQ and Rulebook but haven't found a concrete ruling on if this is true.

The rule you are looking for is written on their very same card:

"When ANOTHER friendly ship...."

That said, your assumption is true. The term 'Friendly' usually includes the own ship... But it happens that in those especific cases (Howlrunner - Jonus), the ability is deliberately worded to work only for the surrounding ships.

Is there an example of where its states "a" friendly ship vs "another" friendly ship? Also, I'm looking for the rule that allows you to consider yourself a friendly or some exposition as to why it is possible.

Is there an example of where its states "a" friendly ship vs "another" friendly ship? Also, I'm looking for the rule that allows you to consider yourself a friendly or some exposition as to why it is possible.

I did a scan through the Rulebook and FAQ just now and didn't notice the phrase friendly. However, just by going through the Pilot cards for some of the Rebel ships alone, I have seen "1 other friendly ship", "another friendly ship", "other friendly ships", etc. 

Other definition

used to refer to a person or thing that is different or distinct from one already mentioned or known about.

Friendly is a term often used in games to denote anything regarding to your side/forces/squad/cards/whatever rather than anything of your opponent's.

If there needs to be a distinction between the ship currently being used and other friendly ships, it would imply that the ship you are currently using is considered a friendly ship.

Do the rules use the term 'allied' or something?

Now I'm not sure what if any abilities reference Friendly ships without the "other" disclaimer, but it does seem to imply that anything without said disclaimer would affect you.

What I've seen is the term You and Your used a lot in the rules for anything under your possession, as it doesn't really go over any specific effects like Pilot Abilities. However, Card Abilities are explained in the rulebook.

"You", as explained in the Rulebook section Card Abilities on Pg. 19: Many card abilities use the word "you" to specifically reference that Ship card. Abilities on ship cards cannot affect other ships unless explicitly specified by the ability.

so basically if another ship you control is considered another friendly ship then that would mean the ship you currently control is a friendly ship.

This of course is all implication because there is no definition of "friendly" in the rulebook or FAQ. However it is inferred that friendly is applied the same way as most other games. I don't really see any other way of applying the term friendly to the game than the currently accepted application.

So to recap this thread, wedge waving as he goes past krassis is not considered friendly?

You can be friendly to yourself unless its clarified as another friendly ship?

CW appears to be scared of worms in cans.

But this could have repercussions somewhere down the line

but would darth vader really be friends with anyone?? he is too busy instilling them with fear of death if they fail him!! lmao! and my 23 ship swarm with just darth vader won a match against the egotistical super friendly goodguy squad of one ship of luke skywalker who's over confidence at having blown up the first death star has gotten his mouth to write checks his behind couldn't cash! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA! sorry just had to be a smart alec or insert your own word here. lmao and as far as a can of worms? wouldn't that be alpo?

So to recap this thread, wedge waving as he goes past krassis is not considered friendly?

You can be friendly to yourself unless its clarified as another friendly ship?

CW appears to be scared of worms in cans.

But this could have repercussions somewhere down the line

What?

If we take swarm tactics for example you have to use it its not conditional it does not say may or can anywhere on the card.

No where does then rules state what constitutes a friendly ship, we assume it means the same as in other games.

It has to mean your ships under your control it cant mean any ship that appears to be friendly at that point of time (Your not In control of opposing forces)

So if you do not have any other ships around you how do you use up swarm tatics?

Now for the disclaimer i ask the following only as a rhetorical exercise please dont take it as games lawyering

So for a ridiculous example if Garven cant shoot at you this turn and you cant shot at him does that make you friendly, id say no as your not allies.

But lets say for arguments you can use swarm tatics on him

Would this give you any tactical advantage?

Q: Can Garven Dreis spend a focus token to modify dice even if he didn’t roll any symbols? A: Yes

If you can force him to fire at another target and spend his focus in that attack before he intended then yes maybe you can get an advantage.

But luckily we have a way out you can be friendly to yourself.

According to Buhallin on swarm tatics: mandatory

Edited by Bazinga

If we take swarm tactics for example you have to use it its not conditional it does not say may or can anywhere on the card.

No where does then rules state what constitutes a friendly ship, we assume it means the same as in other games.

It has to mean your ships under your control it cant mean any ship that appears to be friendly at that point of time.

So if you do not have any other ships around you how do you use up swarm tatics?

Now for the disclaimer i ask the following only as a rhetorical exercise please dont take it as games lawyering

So for a ridiculous example if Garven cant shoot at you this turn and you cant shot at him does that make you friendly, id say no as your not allies.

But lets say for arguments you can use swarm tatics on him

Would this give you any tactical advantage?

Q: Can Garven Dreis spend a focus token to modify dice even if he didn’t roll any symbols? A: Yes

If you can force him to fire at another target and spend his focus before he intended then yes maybe you can get an advantage.

But luckily we have a way out you can be friendly to yourself.

What are you talking about?   :huh:  I mean literally - I have no idea what you're trying to say.

First off, Swarm Tactics may read as mandatory - not sure if that's something that was FAQ'd or not - but if there's no friendly ship at Range 1, it just doesn't have an effect.  There's no need to create some universe-ending paradox because it says "Choose a friendly ship at range 1" and there are no friendly ships in range.  Conditions aren't met, card does nothing, move along.   :)

"It has to mean your ships under your control it cant mean any ship that appears to be friendly at that point of time." 

I have no idea what that means exactly.  What does "appears to be friendly at that point of time" even mean?  I can't think of a single circumstance in the game where anything remotely like this would happen, so I'm confused as to where you were going with that.

Now, if you're playing a TEAM game, say 2v2, I'm reasonably certain that your teammate's ships, while not under your control, are indeed friendly.  So I believe that anything that can affect a "friendly" ship or "allied" ship or whatever keyword an ability uses, can be used on your teammate's ships as well.  Which would actually go against the first part of your statement above, since team ships would be friendly but not 'under your control.'  But the second half baffles me.

I'm not sure 'disclaimer' means what you think it means, because the example you give at the end is not a disclaimer by any definition of the word.

And once more you wander right out into traffic with "if you can force him to fire at another target," - another thing I'm fairly sure doesn't exist anywhere within the rules, 'and spend his focus,' I don't think you can "force" another player to do either of these things, let alone both, "then yes maybe you can get an advantage" which is another statement that confuses me because it doesn't mean anything.  

You can't force Garven to do either of those things.  You certainly can't force him to do both.  And since your premise is completely made up, so is any hypothetical advantage you would gain from doing so.  Also, not a disclaimer.  Also, what does this completely fictional scenario involving Garven have to do with anything, and what does it have to do with being friendly to yourself?

I'm not trying to be mean here, but you just invented several hypotheticals out of thin air, and I have no idea what exactly you were even trying to prove there with your made up examples.   :blink:

Please forgive me for resurrecting this thread, but I'm sure there are other noobs like myself that will appreciate it.

Am I to understand that "...a/each friendly ship within..." would include yourself (as in the ship you are currently using)?

Examples:

“Epsilon Leader”

At the start of the Combat phase, remove 1 stress token from each friendly ship at Range 1.

"Latts Razzi"
When a friendly ship declares an attack, you may spend a target lock you have on the defender to reduce its agility by 1 for that attack.

Also, am I to understand that "...another/other friendly ship within..." would not include yourself (as in the ship you are currently using)?

Examples: 

"Lando Calrissian"

After you execute a green manoeuvre, choose one other friendly ship at Range 1. That ship may perform 1 free action on its action bar.

“Dutch Vander"
After acquiring a target lock, choose another friendly ship at Range 1-2. The ship may immediately acquire a target lock.

“Howlrunner”
When another friendly ship at Range 1 is attacking with its primary weapon, it may reroll 1 attack die.

Edited by Boba Rick

From the rule book, pg 12

FRIENDLY
All ships controlled by the same player are friendly
ships.
• Ships cannot attack or acquire target locks on
friendly ships.
• A ship is friendly to itself and can affect itself with
any of its abilities that affect friendly ships unless
those abilities explicitly affect “other” friendly ships.