sunny ravencourt

Why isn't this an iOS game?

Seriously.  They sell the dice app for 5 bucks.  Why can't they just make an iOS app for this game. 

Yes, I realize that it's always going to be better in person; I totally agree.  However, I'd still play it with friends that I can't be local with over an ipad.

Yes, I know it's on vassal, but FFG could actually make some money on this and make it an officially supported app. 

I think it'd be pretty awesome, but the cost, time and effort it takes to develop it would be not insignificant.

It's one thing to contract out the making of a relatively simple app like Star Wars Dice or Arkham Horror Toolkit, but FFG's resources seem stretched pretty thin with all the new content for this game as well as Edge of the Empire plus all their other properties. They don't have experience in making computer games, and they'd have to get Disney/Lucasfilm to agree to it.

Plus even if they contracted someone to make the game, they update the content for the game so often they'd have to either keep a development team on staff or keeping up a contract to update the app with new ships, upgrades, pilots, etc.

Sadly there are plenty of reasons why they don't do it, but I think it definitely has the potential to be a fun iOS game.

I really enjoy Sid Meier's Ace Patrol which uses a very similar mechanic to manage WWI air battles. I could see X-Wing working in a very similar way!

As a part time IOS developer, I agree that this would not be a simple undertaking. 

We play the game at my day job over lunch, but there are tons of friends of mine that live far and wide from where I am at that I would love to be able to play with on a turn basis. 

I would *love* to work on this though if FFG is listening. 

There's also an issue with licensing.  LA is kinda quirky with how they do licenses for their games. 

For example, FFG has the license to produce the models they use as game pieces, but not as models.  If they were to release them unpainted and unassembled, they might run into issues.

Same thing could hold true for releasing a video game version of X-Wing.

Also there's a very serrious question of how much a iOS or Android version would impact on the sale of the phsycial game.

Just last night I was thinking about how an app might be helpful to the game.  Maybe you could utilize a devices camera.  Hold the phone/pad above the playing field.  Center the ship in a box on the screen and it will measure distance and firing arc.  I have a laser level that I have used for firing arc.  If we could design bases with laser levels built into them that would project onto the table....

Just last night I was thinking about how an app might be helpful to the game.  Maybe you could utilize a devices camera.  Hold the phone/pad above the playing field.  Center the ship in a box on the screen and it will measure distance and firing arc.  I have a laser level that I have used for firing arc.  If we could design bases with laser levels built into them that would project onto the table....

I have a piece of cardboard with range bands printed on it that I use for measuring firing arcs :)

I would like to point out that there isn't really any need for a turn based game on a iOS device.  Just make a different space game with real time.

There's not necessarily any technical "need", but the style of a turn-based game is very different than a real-time game.

Civilization is a computer game, but it's turn-based by design. Likewise with Sid Meier's Ace Pilots. Not because of technical need but because of the style of gameplay the games are going after.

Otherwise you wouldn't have the X-Wing Miniatures feel, you'd have X-Wing Vs TIE Fighter or something. Which would be cool too, they should make THAT for iOS!

I wouldn't hold your breath guys, consider how much you've all spent on the game to date - or if you haven't considered how much you've spent, check out the recent thread on the same subject.

Now consider whether you would all be willing to fork out the same amount of cash as in-app purchases to secure the same 'models' within the proposed iOS game.

The reason this game is profitable for FFG is because we keep spending money on new expansions. I don't see any way to transfer that sort of $$ to an iPhone app without some outrageous IAPs, and believe me people would not like that!

The mechanics of the game itself would tranfer to iOS without too much difficulty. The financial mechanics within FFG would not transfer quite so easily.

Because then they'd lose money on miniatures, dice, and core sets.

The only way to make this marketable would be to have a system in which you registered your miniatures with the proof of purchase that came with your miniature.

Issue here is that sometimes we get our miniatures second hand and already opened. Or some of us just don't keep that around, so we'd have to request verification on each individual one.

It would be a complicated process.

Because then they'd lose money on miniatures, dice, and core sets.

The only way to make this marketable would be to have a system in which you registered your miniatures with the proof of purchase that came with your miniature.

Issue here is that sometimes we get our miniatures second hand and already opened. Or some of us just don't keep that around, so we'd have to request verification on each individual one.

It would be a complicated process.

I agree the logistics would be insane.

I think an app would be amazing, but I do not see it happening for a couple reasons.

Taking a narrow genre like miniatures, and splitting it into 2 even narrower genres, app and non app would make both too costly to maintain. It was mentioned that if you buy your miniatures you could register your miniatures online and you get to play the app. They wont do that because we buy them already without that option. They have no incentive to give us more for what we pay. And I do not know about you but I don't want my cost to go up

Besides I prefer miniatures but if it was a game I'd rather them go with windows anyway.

True, even a iPad doesn't have a screen that's really large enough to make an effective game like this out of.  Way too much scrolling back and forth... Or else models so small you lose all details.

When the new Star Wars movies arrive, we'll probably see new computer-console-mobile games.

It's about time for a new 'X-wing vs TIE fighter' simulator with modern graphic engines.

I would love a new version of TIE Fighter with modern graphics.  Or even X-Wing.  XvT was just too centered around the online battle.  I loved the story line that TIE Fighter had - that was missing in XvT.

If I was Disney, I'd make it vs AI only and Rebels (player) vs Empire (AI) only and make it a cheap app. Whet the appetite a bit. Have add banner for the table top game. Profit 

Edited by Lobokai

16 hours ago, drail14me said:

Any movement on a mobile or online version? I live in a rural area so finding players is difficult. Yeah, I've found Vassal but it seems to be a pain. I'd gladly pay FFG for an online or mobile version. 

FFG don't have a license for SW computer games, but they do have a license for digital assistants for tabletop games.

Even the Imperial Assault campaign app is close to the line, and that's not a game at all without the physical components.  A full on digital version of one of their games would be so far across that line it's not funny.

It's almost certainly not gonna happen, much as it might be a good thing for them to do.