Sign in to follow this  
SonicPara

Sonic-inspired Rebel Repaints

While the standard pre-painted finish is excellent, I decided to take my amateur painting skills and have some fun painting some ships as characters from Sonic the Hedgehog, a franchise that has been dear to me for nearly my entire life. I'm not much of a painter and these ships will look inherently silly but I'm hoping for any and all comments about ways I captured the character's aesthetic and such opportunities that I missed. I previously started this thread but it seems it was lost when the forum updated.  Here we go!

First is an A-Wing inspired by Amy Rose. The miniature was washed with Games Workshop's Badab Black wash to dirty it up and then sealed with Testors Dullcote for durability and a matte finish. A note on the design, the red and white motif is mirrored on the bottom of the ship as well.
579251_10151696131253410_1265224434_n.jp

Second is another A-Wing (it is the fastest rebel dial after all) inspired by the titular character Sonic the Hedgehog. Like the Amy Rose ship, the miniature was washed with Games Workshop's Badab Black to darken and dirty it and then sealed with Testors Dullcote. To reflect the peach color only being on the character's chest I painted the underside completely blue rather than mirroring the design of the top of the ship.
576746_10151715653363410_103729572_n.jpg

Next up is a X-Wing inspired by Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic's chief rival.  Again, the miniature was washed with Games Workshop's Badab Black to darken and dirty the ship before being sealed with Testors Dullcote; the effect is slight due to the dark scheme.  I selected the X-Wing for Shadow as I felt it better represented the character as Shadow is the quintessential all-rounder combining strength, agility, and durability.  The red stripes on the fuselage and s-foils are a nod to Shadow's striped quills while the faint red stripes on the cannons and engines are to represent his arms and legs respectively.  Further cannon and engine detail is for the shoes and gloves with the remaining markings being the red cockpit for his eyes and the white nose for the white on his chest.  The final touch was painting the astromech green as Shadow is never without his green Chaos Emerald.

561574_10151973563003410_1568440831_n.jp

574638_10151973572208410_13991737_n.jpg

I've just started on a repaint of the HWK-290 and I have plans for a B-Wing, Y-Wing, YT-1300, and another X-Wing; any guesses on what each one will represent?  AS for the HWK-290, here it is after the first coat of the base coat; makes it pretty obvious who this will be.

1374959_10151973563793410_73270126_n.jpg

So what do you guys think?

Edited by SonicPara

Next up is a HWK-290 painted as Miles "Tails" Prower, Sonic's adoptive brother and trusted sidekick.  Like all of my other repaints the ship was washed with Games Workshop's Badab Black before being sprayed by Testor's Dullcote.  I chose the HWK-290 for Tails due to its role as a support ship really fitting Tails' role as a sidekick, supporting others around him.  With that said, Tails can also be a fighter so the possibility of equipping a Blaster Turret really makes the HWK-290 a perfect fit for the character.  The windows were painted a sky blue to represent the eyes and the white chin-stripe at the nose of the ship represents the character's white muzzle; the white accent was continued underneath the ship with white on the turret's cannons for his gloves and a (unseen) patch of white for the chest.  Other accents include white and red stripes on the engines for the shoes and socks and even the back-edge of the engines have a dark grey for the soles of the shoes.  The engines were painted a combination of blue and white to match the engine detail from the Jan Ors card and the final, perhaps most defining detail is the fox-tail pattern on the HWK-290's twin tails.

1385413_10152019007788410_207610216_n.jp

I'm REALLY happy with how this one turned out.  Painting the windows was a gamble (I have left them untouched on my other ships) but I think it really paid off with the stark contrast between the black outline and sky blue panes giving the ship an overall crisp look.  I was afraid of the design being monotonous with all of the yellow but I love the shade and I think accents here and there break it up enough.  

Also, just a note, even with pedestrian painting skills like mine the HWK-290's engines look fantastic when painted; 6 thrusters really looks great on a ship this size.

1384047_10152019007983410_2129062136_n.j

Up next is either a B-Wing, Y-Wing, or a YT-1300.  I have characters picked out for each though I'm not certain of the designs so I really don't know which to do next.  Also, some friends have pointed out that I need to create a Robotnik to go along with these ships so I had the idea to paint some imperials as Robotnik and his various minions (A Metal Sonic TIE Interceptor, badnik TIE Fighters, etc...).  Still unsure if I want to do so because I love the stock Imperial paint-jobs so much but, when completed, the two opposing forces would be great. 

So, what do you guys think?

I like them! Sonic fan myself, and I like what you're doing here. Honestly if it were me, with Tails, I'd have done a tornado-esque paintjob. Biplane, transforming from bi-to-quad-wing-jet-plane, all that's next is a space plane! :P

But seriously, these are really cool. What you need to do is make one that represents E-102 Gamma, another that represents Rouge, and another for Knuckles.

Regarding Knuckles, you can go with either a Y wing or a B-wing- and to be perfectly honest, a B-wing might suit him more, due to the fact it's a heavy hitter like no other. E-102 can really go rebel or imperial, honestly. Though if you go imperial, it might be worthwhile to do one for E-101 as well.

Regarding E-123, I'll leave that in the air.

Now, with Robotnik, Imperial Shuttle, all the way. Robotnik's designs are never all too great if we're honest and they usually have severe key flaws, or they're really overdesigned. With The Shuttle's blah-ish performance in X-wing, and it having very niche roles, I think that fits pretty well. That and it's a command ship more or less, and well, Robotnik.

Personally I'd love to see The Falcon appear in some way, but I can think of no character that really suits it, unless you want to do E-123 there. Since he has a slough of weapons, and is (supposedly) hard to kill, it might suit him pretty well. Especially considering his bulk.

If you're going to do Metal Sonic, either a TIE Interceptor or TIE Advanced is your absolute best bet. The Interceptor may be a better choice since it can honestly out-do the A-wing in speed, but has less tricks up its sleeve.

And by tricks I mean missiles. Unless you're the evil kind of person who barrel rolls everywhere, then sonic's in massive trouble- but is that not usually the case with Metal Sonic?

There's a lot of characters you can do, the key is finding just the right ships. So far, I believe you've found the most suitable ones.

Whatever you do though. Please refrain from charmy. :P

You just guessed several of my plans for characters, I'll just post the rest of my thoughts:

Silver: Y-Wing (Decided on due to Ion Turrets matching his telekinesis AND his lacking speed matching the dial)

Knuckles: B-Wing (Really no other choice in my opinion.  Both are formidable bruisers)

Blaze: X-Wing (Similar thinking to Shadow what with the X-Wing balancing so many characteristics like power and agility)

Rouge: X-Wing (Same as Shadow and Blaze, no other rebel ship fits the role of an all-around fighter as well)

Chaos and Tikal: YT-1300 (Aside from Big or Vector, nothing else makes sense without dipping in to non-game characters like Rotor)

I also was planning a Shuttle for Robotnik and an Interceptor for Metal.

No final decisions here, aside from Knuckles who I am base-coating right now.

Whatever you do though. Please refrain from charmy. :P

Don't worry, you won't see any Chaotix (or Babylon Rogues) from me if I can help it.   ;)

And by tricks I mean missiles. Unless you're the evil kind of person who barrel rolls everywhere, then sonic's in massive trouble- but is that not usually the case with Metal Sonic?

I don't usually run missiles on my A-Wings when I play them, they have their own nasty tricks that requires some team-play with the rest of the list.  Blah blah power of friendship blah blah  :lol:

Edited by SonicPara

Oh man. Well, I can justify Silver, if you've got Blaze.

Because Blaze is pretty effing cool in spite of Silver. "IBLIS TRIGGEEEERRRR"

I'm interested though. Any plans for the E series bots? Also, oddly satisfied with myself that I managed to guess a fair bit of them. :P

Oh man. Well, I can justify Silver, if you've got Blaze.

The ion = telekinesis connection was too good to pass up.

Any plans for the E series bots?

I really haven't, though painting them as regular TIEs with a Gamma Advanced or Interceptor would allow you to run the entire line together with Gamma as the (rightful) leader.

999083_10152023719658410_1333588484_n.jp

Got to play my first game entirely with repaints.  It was great to finally use all of the ships together and I think when flown together they really come together.  

A Knuckles B-Wing is up next!

Next up is a B-Wing inspired by Knuckles the Echidna.  Knuckles is a bruiser, through and through, and really fits the bruiser nature of the B-Wing quite well.  His design is fairly simple so the repaint is as well with only a few distinctive markings like the white chevron around the fuselage to represent the character's chest and the white on the cannons to represent his spiked, gloved fists.  The last distinctive markings are the designs on the primary weapon pod at the base of the ship which match up to Knuckles' shoes.

1459901_10152119488803410_1955668066_n.j

Ultimately, I'm not too thrilled with this one for a number of reasons but I think the B-Wing looks surprisingly good in red.

Up next is either a Rouge X-Wing or a Silver Y-Wing!

Not a Sonic fan any more, but I can't say I don't like how well you've captured the theme. I'm very envious of your painting skills.

As for the B-Wing, give the wingtips some white too so they kinda make up for how big his gloves are, and maybe make the bottom laser cannon silver/chrome as well to make it pop a bit more.

Next up is a B-Wing inspired by Knuckles the Echidna.  Knuckles is a bruiser, through and through, and really fits the bruiser nature of the B-Wing quite well.  His design is fairly simple so the repaint is as well with only a few distinctive markings like the white chevron around the fuselage to represent the character's chest and the white on the cannons to represent his spiked, gloved fists.  The last distinctive markings are the designs on the primary weapon pod at the base of the ship which match up to Knuckles' shoes.

1459901_10152119488803410_1955668066_n.j

Ultimately, I'm not too thrilled with this one for a number of reasons but I think the B-Wing looks surprisingly good in red.

Up next is either a Rouge X-Wing or a Silver Y-Wing!

I think you need to extend the white onto the gun housing and paint the lower half of the cockpit beige, I think that might improve the feeling, I don't thing just the gun barrels has enough impact for his fists

I think you need to extend the white onto the gun housing and paint the lower half of the cockpit beige, I think that might improve the feeling, I don't thing just the gun barrels has enough impact for his fists

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll give it a try this weekend and see how it goes.  In general I have avoided painting the tan muzzles but I agree, it could help on this otherwise understated repaint.

I agree with Rodent Mastermind.

Regardless, I LOVE where you're going with this! Any plans for the Imperial side?

If I paint the Imperials then they will be Robotnik and his minions.