Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wookie Hunter

Did the B-Wing finally break the system

112 posts in this topic

So for a long time this game has been quite balanced until now.  At least to our game shops opinions.  3 B-Wings with HLC and FCS seems to be unbeatable when flown well.  Nothing has even damaged my B-Wings in 4 battles of solo play before absolutely decimating the competition.  Is there a squad that is known to give this build a beatdown that it deserves.  I just do not want to go to tournament and see everyone flying B-Wing builds and neglecting the 1000 other dollars worth of mini's sitting in my case.  You could say use them anyways, but the point of tournaments is to win, not just have fun.

My buddy flew that 3 B wing group against my Three Amigo list this weekend. The Empire won but it wasn't an easy fight. Stealth device helps a lot, along with evading" just evade and don't be greedy with focus" The real killer is Fel, he puts the hurt on the B wing. I personally prefer Sensor jammer on two out of my 3 Bwing list. During the course of one turn you can save your self a lot of hits for free. In one game I counted 6 hits saved from just the jammer. I wish I could equip it to each of my interceptors :).

I would be pretty interested in trying a TIE Bomber squad with some Gamma Squadron Pilots in the mix against the aforementioned B-Wings. Something like:

Captain Jonus + Squad Leader (24pts)

Gamma Squadron w/ Assault Missile + Cluster Missile  (x2) (54pts)

Scimitar Squadron w/ Concussion Missile + Seismic Charges (22pts)

You should be able to take one B-Wing out before it shoots on the first round of combat, then give the B-Wings second thoughts about doing the 2 K-turn when Seismic Charges are on the table.

nicksib likes this

Some rebel on rebel crime Wedge with PTL SHREDS B-wings. Also you can't attack them head on. One of the better builds at MLGS is two blue squadrons with chewie. Because of the lack of evade dice I've seen Wedge trounce on the B-wings then the falcon.

CrookedWookie likes this

TIE swarm, sit back, out of range then boost into range 1.

I think Bwings are good but unbeatable? No, infact I'd say they are only good in the hands of experienced players

majagua likes this

I find this is a common thing that occurs in almost every game when something apparently "UBER" comes out. I won't say the B-wing has broken the system just yet. There's always that learning curve when something new comes out and list & strategies need to be adjusted. The B-Wing & Tie Bomber may force players to think of new methods to play viable lists against them. IMHO.

Best of Luck 

jimmius likes this

I can't see B-Wings breaking the system, to run 3 in this format, you will be moving first and shooting last mainly. B-Wings can certainly dish out the pain, but they can't take it in return.

1 defense die with 5 shields and 3 hull is actually worse than an X-Wing with 2 and 3 respectively. I'd even fancy my chances with Tie Advanced fighters in all honesty.

Don't get me wrong, I like the B and it will feature in my squads.

I am even tempted to say that 4 of the PS2 B's with Advanced Sensors is a better squad than 3 with HLC and Fire Control.

Some rebel on rebel crime Wedge with PTL SHREDS B-wings. Also you can't attack them head on. One of the better builds at MLGS is two blue squadrons with chewie. Because of the lack of evade dice I've seen Wedge trounce on the B-wings then the falcon.

While I haven't had someone play wedge against my B-Wings, what I've seen with Wedge vs HLC is something like this:

Wedge shoots at range 3, knocks 1 shield off of firespray (call it 2 shields off of a B-Wing).  First Firespray (or B-Wing) shoots HLC, spends focus token and gets 4 hits.  Wedge evades 1, takes 1 hull damage.  Second Firespray shoots, gets 3 hits, Wedge evades one, Wedge goes down in a flaming heap.

Everyone is assuming that your opponent will just fly straight into the teeth of the B-Wings. I feel they won't. I like a nice Ion Cannon or Ion Turret against B's. Almost certain to go through and then we'll see how the B's like it then :-)

There are so many more kill options with wave 3. If you attack 3 B's with HLC head on, then yes, you are doomed. Don't do that and you can mess with them quite well.

This list will not be fun for B-Wings. It has the ability to soak up early fire and return the pain. I'd use evade to close, fire my ordinance as I get the chance. Use the Ion cannons to force a 1 forward then use my rear arc as I pass you with no return shot. 

I'm not saying it is a cake walk, but it should take you out.

Total Squad Points: 100

Pilot: Boba Fett
Firespray-31 (39)
Upgrades:

• Push The limit (3)
  • Advanced Proton Torpedoes (6)
  • Ion Cannon (3)

Pilot: Kath Scarlet
Firespray-31 (38)
Upgrades:

• Push The limit (3)
  • Homing Missiles (5)
  • Ion Cannon (3)
Edited by Englishpete

@Endgame,

Who said you can even shoot at wedge that first turn or would want to? There are other more menacing ships out there now. Maybe those missile shooting green squads with stealth device and ptl drop two assault missiles into your Bs dropping one before it gets to shoot. And yes I've done this. And even with a crippled wedge in round two he shot before the Bs taking off the last of the shields and the greens put a second b-wing away before it got to shoot.

Do I think the B-wing is a good ship? One of the three best. Is flying three of them straight at your opponent wise. Nope not in the least. Game is changing. I think squints and A-wings are more powerful now that you have to out fly your opponent and get around there firing archs.

Sithborg likes this

4 y-wings with ion cannons, or even 2 y-wings with ion cannons and two B-wings with ion cannons

better make those first shots count because when those ion cannons start shooting against your 1 agility good luck ever getting another shot off

Parakitor likes this

@Endgame,

Who said you can even shoot at wedge that first turn or would want to? There are other more menacing ships out there now. Maybe those missile shooting green squads with stealth device and ptl drop two assault missiles into your Bs dropping one before it gets to shoot. And yes I've done this. And even with a crippled wedge in round two he shot before the Bs taking off the last of the shields and the greens put a second b-wing away before it got to shoot.

Do I think the B-wing is a good ship? One of the three best. Is flying three of them straight at your opponent wise. Nope not in the least. Game is changing. I think squints and A-wings are more powerful now that you have to out fly your opponent and get around there firing archs.

I've actually always thought that a PtL Green Squadron was better than a rookie X-Wing.  Glad that other people are starting to catch on.  In a meta that is becoming more ordnance dominated, evade and 3 defense dice makes a lot more difference than an extra shield token does, and Target Lock + Focus makes up for only 2 base attack dice.

Overall for Rebels, I haven't been impressed with Wave 3 - I haven't had B-Wings deal enough damage in most games, and the HWK costs too many points for what it brings to the table.

Nothing has even damaged my B-Wings in 4 battles of solo play before absolutely decimating the competition.

This is the sentence that completely baffles me. The B-Wing is the easiest ship to put damage on in the entire game. How is this possibly true?

Whoa now, easy tiger. Didn't mean to bring down the wrath of the B-Wing fan brigade. Just stating a fact. It has the lowest agility in the game (yes, tied with the Y-Wing, Shuttle, and YT-1300... but at least the YT can take evade actions with the MF title!). If you shoot it, you will hit it.

He didn't say hull points, so I took what he said at face value. Even in the initial exchange at range 3 you should be chipping off shields.

Not saying B-Wings are bad ships; far from it. But they wither under fire. 5 shield points can vanish in 2-3 attacks, easily. Or potentially, a single attack with missiles/torps! Cluster missiles will eat up a B-Wing. Assault missiles will put hurt on a squad of them (or any squad featuring one). 

Yes, I took no hull damage.  Shields plenty.  But I consider myself quite good at maneuvering and this game in general.  Even when flying crappy maneuvering ships, I laid into all 3 squads I faced and didnt ever get challenged.  Now maybe my opponent just didn't know what to do.  To be honest most of them just try to fly right at me and focus, but Im so good at maneuvering they never had a chance.  The hardest win, hard....maybe not.....but was a twin firespray with hlc's and expert handling.  They did good at not getting shot at until I outmaneuvered him with my 3 B-Wings in round 4.  Outmaneuvered you say?  I block like nobody and I made it so I had  2 full rounds of hlc shots because of placement of asteroids and blocking.  Range 3 hls shots on his kath scarlett was devastating and it was mop up on Boba from there.  I never got two shots on Boba, but I made sure to maneuver so no matter where he went I would have at least one good shot.

Jisforjets likes this