Sign in to follow this  
The_Brown_Bomber

I wish FF release acrylic movement templates and range rulers

I have a couple of sets of acrylic tokens and templates.  Keep meaning to check out the Team Covenant ones.  I have one set that are supposed to be orange but honestly look very pink (lightish red?) in most lighting.  The Litko range ruler was the perfect shade of orange, though, so I just recently placed an order for a set of movement templates and convinced them to do a little extra customization for me, to make them idiot proof.   :lol: 

I'll probably paint the etching in white to make them pop a bit more but here's a sampling.cc0c93ed-8df2-4201-ae1d-3b8036e89fde_zps

I have a couple of sets of acrylic tokens and templates.  Keep meaning to check out the Team Covenant ones.  I have one set that are supposed to be orange but honestly look very pink (lightish red?) in most lighting.  The Litko range ruler was the perfect shade of orange, though, so I just recently placed an order for a set of movement templates and convinced them to do a little extra customization for me, to make them idiot proof.   :lol: 

I'll probably paint the etching in white to make them pop a bit more but here's a sampling.cc0c93ed-8df2-4201-ae1d-3b8036e89fde_zps

Can you use the 5-speed Straight to do a K-turn on a TIE Bomber?

Can you use the 5-speed Straight to do a K-turn on a TIE Bomber?

Yeah I would assume so - they're all regulation length.  I just didn't have the K-turns marked because I know they use the straight templates to execute them, and Litko insists on putting their logo at the other end, so there wasn't a good way to fit the K-turn symbol on them.

Would have been funnier if I had said:

"Too bad you have to order another one so you can K-turn with a TIE Bomber."

Ah, well, missed opportunities. Comedy is hard.

I call this one "they can make me pimp their company but they can't make me draw attention to it."   :lol: 
Needs cleaned up a little bit tonight, yet.
I should have gotten a couple of 1-speed straights and had them labeled "Barrel Roll" and "Bomb Drop" so people thought I was completely nuts.  Insist on pulling out the one marked "Barrel Roll" any time I want to barrel roll.   :blink: CustomTemplates2_zps3c5df784.jpg

How do you paint the template like that on the etching? I ask because the FFG Target Locks they gave away for prize support have horribly difficult to see etching which makes them hard to use. (Unlike their acryllic Focus icons, which have nice bright white markings).

Another way of putting this: how hard is that to do? I would like to make my acryllic target locks more functional.

It's actually super easy, just paint it white (or whatever color), don't worry about over paint.  Then you can rub/scrape off extra with another acrylic template/token.  There may be tiny (pretty much invisible) scrapes when you are done, but the surface will be clear of paint, but the engraved area will have the paint still.  Make sure you don't use something harder (like metal) to scrape with, that will scratch the surface heavily.

It's one of the huge advantages of the aftermarket tokens and templates (at least from AP for sure), they come with the masking on the raised areas still.  Makes painting the engraved areas super easy.

Edited by Hexis

Yup, pretty much what Hexis said.  Actually on those I used White Out.  I usually do that, then touch them up with a little white paint, then hit it with glossy or matte (for that frosted look) sealer when I'm done.

DO NOT USE A RAZOR to scrape the paint off.  You will wreck the surface of it.  What actually works best, in my experience, is using the edge of one of the templates and just lightly scraping with it - it's not so hard or sharp that it'll scratch up the surface, if you go easy.

What I actually do with the white-out is slather it over the whole surface, making sure it pools down into the etching, let it dry, and then scrape it off with the edge of the 1- or 2-speed straight.  Goes on fast and easy, scrapes off fast and easy, do a little bit of clean up and you're good.  If an area doesn't want to stay white, touch it up with a bit of paint.  Fastest way I've found to do them and they are SOOOOO much easier to read on the table.

You can see a few speckles on those - the white-out tends to chip and flake a bit, so once you get it all off, just come back later and lightly scrape the specks and they come right off with zero effort.  Wipe them down gently with a soft towel to get finger prints and any smears off and you should be good.

Edited by CrookedWookie

Thank you very much Hexis and CrookedWookie! This is a very practical improvement I can accomplish myself, and don't even need specialty paints or tools!

I don't need to do it on my maneuver templates since they are mirrored and the etching is on the bottom (mirrored) side. They already look great.

But those Target Lock tokens look pretty shabby. And my range rulers from Applied perspective are great, but they have two problems: (1) I chose transparent which is way too dark, and (2) I was too eager to use them so I took off the masking before I would have had a chance to paint them. But I will try this out this weekend and maybe post some before and after pictures!

I'm so glad to know I can improve these in this way! Thanks!

It's really easy to do - I've used paint too, but it's kind of tedious trying to paint in there neatly.  I find it much more time effective to just blot white-out over the whole thing.  By the time you get to the last template the first ones will be plenty dry, and you can start scraping them off.  Just use very light pressure with the edge of a short template and it comes right off.  Put down some newspaper or something, because it does come off all over the place in little white schnibbles.

I did not like the AP target locks at all.  My new Litko ones should be here this week - I'll put pics up when I get them in and 'paint' them.  They look sharp.

It's really easy to do - I've used paint too, but it's kind of tedious trying to paint in there neatly.  I find it much more time effective to just blot white-out over the whole thing.  By the time you get to the last template the first ones will be plenty dry, and you can start scraping them off.  Just use very light pressure with the edge of a short template and it comes right off.  Put down some newspaper or something, because it does come off all over the place in little white schnibbles.

I did not like the AP target locks at all.  My new Litko ones should be here this week - I'll put pics up when I get them in and 'paint' them.  They look sharp.

I don't have the AP target locks, but I wasn't a huge fan of any of the token designs. I just have the range Rulers and the Maneuver templates, which do not have the (really annoying, to me) LITKO brand stamped all over it.

I took a couple pics of the AP tokens and templates with the painted engraving.  The blue movement templates have silver paint, which I don't like as much as white, but I have not re-done yet.  The rest is white.  The iridescent range rule just comes across as orange, but it's super cool in person.  I put the FFG focus tokens in there for comparison.  They get lost on the board compared to the nice bright green acrylic.  It's pretty tough to tell the difference between the (slightly) transparent red (movement templates on the left and stress) and the opaque black (EPS and Droid) colors when they are on the boards.  It's a lil easier in person.

10072388553_1e101f3f63_c.jpg

10072325646_1761cd1e4f_c.jpg

I think the target locks could use less engraved areas.  Some way to interlock the pair for storage would be awesome.  It's a PITA matching them up.  It's still better than the double sided nonsense of the cardboard.

Here's some in use in a game:

10060850246_e40bd2135b_c.jpg
TIE Bomber cluster by mbax, on Flickr

I'm curious what you don't like about the other ones.

I actually came up with the concept and art for the Droid and EPT tokens.  Adam (the owner of AP) is a friend.  If I can tweak his designs a bit and help him sell more, I will.  

I love the droid and EPS - I'll be ordering those.

Focus is ok.  

Ion - I think a lightning bolt or something would have been a little more evocative.  I know it's supposed to be some atomic thing but it looks busy..  And kind of hairy.

Evade is ok although I think the wave could be a bit sharper.

The shield design doesn't do anything for me.  Too much open space on the token.  Just not a fan of the shield design.

Stress is par for the course.

But the target locks are the other one I don't care for at all.  I'm not even sure why, just the shape of them I'm not big on.  Or the font.  Or the colors - at least that shade of baby blue.

Edited by CrookedWookie

Thanks for the feedback.  I know from talking to Adam that Acrylic supplies don't have much in the way of color variety.  The lighter blue actually is pretty visible on the board.  The red looks better in pictures, but is worse on the board.

I'll see about some redesigns.  Drawing in Illustrator/OmniGraffle makes a nice break from documentation in Word.  I think I have a good idea already for ion.