Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jackman51

Distracted?

80 posts in this topic

Sure it can Tox especially while you're chain sucking on Coke cans while your doing it :P.

I tell you Joe I don't know how the pros do it with StarCraft. Watching them makes me realize how much I truly suck at the game. I'm pretty much a search and peck as a regular typist so by the time I issue a command to a group of my units across the map a pro did ten things to me and don't get me started wondering how those guys manage to micromanage individual units in their formations while in combat. I'm having a hard enough time just trying to beat the computer much less even trying a skilled human--I wish I could because man those Koreans are treated like sports superstars and even movie celebrities and a lot of them are only 15 or so years old! There's a Russian player that goes by the name White-ra that is at least kinda close to my age so that's a little reassuring anyhow.

Nope gotta stick more to RPG comp games or board games. I presume you've never heard of War of the Roses published by Z-Man games?

jackman51,

You're absolutely correct, but I don't think I "suck" at the game...I just really enjoy it at a much slower pace.  As I've jokingly mentioned elsewhere, I'm a gaming monogamist:

RPG:  D&D 3.5

Computer:  StarCraft

Board: Arkham Horror

Hex & Counter Wargame: The War: Europe 1939-1945

No, I've never heard of War of the Roses (though I have heard of Z-Man).

Cheers,

Joe

Hex & Counter Wargame: The War: Europe 1939-1945

I looked this up the other day--looks strikingly similar to Avalon Hill's old Third Reich. Fair assessment?

jackman51,

Yes...and no.  Ernie played 3R for many years and knows (and have played with) many of the designers of such games as A World at War.  He tried very hard to make a game that 3R through its many iterations should have been.  It's an outstanding game and the 12 scenarios really teach players the game from the ground-up.  If you want to read my review, head over to BGG.

Cheers,

Joe

First Zoogey I love the name. If you were old enough--and I don't know your age--I'd say you were from the 1960-1970ish hippie era in the US.

Born the year Professor Tolkien died, some months before the first release of Dungeons & Dragons...

"I was born under a roleplaying star,

Dices are made for rolling, cardboard boxes are made to pack

I've never seen a fumble that didn't looked better rolled back

I was born under a roleplaying star..."

Your remarks about playing videogames when there's no one else to play with certainly hit home for me

I'm living in a small town. There once was a gaming club, but it always relies heavily on teenagers, and now, they tend to be more inclined to play videogames than reading huge rulebooks in foreign languages, or painting a few hundred wargaming miniatures :( . That's why we are playing miniatures games most of the time, rarely being more than 2 or 3 players at the same time. We're playing about twice a month - more often during holidays, when old timers come back around.

As I told Julia on this thread if you liked Baldur's Gate then definitely try the Mass Effect series of video games

I'll follow your advice for sure and take a look at this - as soon as I will have finished up paintaing a bunch of zombies and survivors, what's left to be painted in my Roman army, build a few Middle Earth themed scenery, and finished up some cowboys and old west themed scenery for the next gaming convention... :wacko:

Well, hopefully before the end of 2014 :D  ...

Diablo and Diablo II were very atmospheric. Diablo III... well, it just doesn't have the dark fantasy feeling of the others.

Ernie

Hmmm...fascinating as Spock would say. I know a Weston Erni who was an excellent 3Reich player back when it was popular---it's like the Twilight Zone me thinks Joe. He does some game design work for Victory Point Games and published a few games of his own and might eventually show up on these boards under the monicker Gamebreaker.

Zoogey cool you have the patience and skill to paint miniatures--I have a store owner friend who used to be heavily involved with this as well. If you do get involved with Mass Effect just be aware it is a trilogy of games each getting better than the last but nearly spoiled by a weak ending. Also it is sci-fi. I'll look forward to your comments on it someday--who did you choose for your romance?

Somehow I feel that your birth right around Tolkien's death (1974?) was a signal for you to take up his banner.

Edited by jackman51

Sounds like a game Eihort could immensely enjoy...

Well actually it wouldn't surprise me if the inspiration for Eihort and his broods came from StarCraft. The race of Zerg do seem similar to this AO perhaps with Eihort as the Overmind itself. Course I'm not really sure if Lovecraft invented Eihort and thus was before StarCraft or whether Eihort is a recent concoction. The term being "zerged" in some MMORPG's comes from StarCraft and represents being swarmed over by a mass of attackers. I even sometimes hear the term used in more mundane conversational topics.

So in sum Julia I think you should investigate this thesis for us--go buy and play StarCraft and let us know what you think ;):D.  Which came first StarCraft broods or Eihort's?

Jackman, Eihort is quite a new addition to the Cthulhu Mythos pantheon: it firstly appeared in a Ramsey Campbell's story called "Before the Storm", even though there was mention of it in an earlier tale (The Franklyn Paragraphs, 1973). I guess the VG arrived later

Joe: yes, I'm aware of that, Avi liked that game sooo much :laughter: thanks for the tip, though!

who did you choose for your romance?

"I hear they got a name for rain

And wind and fire only

But when you're lost and all alone

There ain't no words but lonely

And I'm a lost and lonely man

Without a star to guide me... :( "

But I'm working on it :P !

Somehow I feel that your birth right around Tolkien's death (1974?) was a signal for you to take up his banner.

1973 actually, I'll turn 41 in a little more than a month.

It's funny; much as I've loved Starcraft, I was acutely conscious of the usual criticism that the game is overwhelmingly about base and economic management, and much of the actual fighting is just an afterthought (at least at the level I play at; I dunno what the pros are like). 

But then they made Warcraft 3 and "MOBAs" and such, and I realized that wow, combat really isn't the fun part.

An example of pro play if anyone is interested--only Part 1 of 4 part video shown. Complete with a commentator to give it that sporting event feel. At the bottom right of the image is an icon to allow you to view it fullscreen.

I can't say I"m good enough that base management is "fun" but certainly at the pro level build order and proper queing of units within your structures is critical if you want to counter your opponents likely moves against you and you better be scouting him ASAP.

That said it's much more fun as an observer to watch armies fight. Incredible how well the pros micromanage stacks of units which often are of different types.

If Part 1 interested you here is the concluding vid for this group of 4. Remember 2 and 3 have been skipped just to get the exciting ending.

Edited by jackman51

Well here's the thing---you have to be a typist cuz your fingers are literally flying around the keyboard. Naturally you must also be good at macroing your units and structures and remember without even thinking about it where the keys are that give specific commands to your units. It's like your hands are using the force if you'll permit me to use an old Star Wars phrase. Probably explains why so many of these pros are quite young and for whatever other reason many of the best are Koreans.

It's quite fascinating and amusing watching computer hookups to tournaments that Blizzard sponsors all over the world which really give some pretty substantial payouts to the winners--you can literally become wealthy if you're very good. Who says gamers are wasting time doing this! In Korea you're a media and national superstar much like the winners of the Super Bowl football game would be in the USA. The stage is full of big giant TV screens for the audience to watch the action complete with sports-like commentators who conduct interviews with other past pros and current players all while you're hearing cheering fans in the audience rooting for the actions of their chosen hero player even with signs in the audience some of whom are even trash talking. I'm pretty sure there's even a TV station specifically for the gamers. Not exactly a physical game but still the nervous strain can get to you when sitting in those little isolation booths each player has to when facing each other.

Moral of the story: Don't waste your lives doing silly things like going to school or getting a real job. Just get good at StarCraft and game your way to fame, fortune, and celebrity hood. ;):D:lol: Just be careful not to let this Geeky notoriety get to you and start taking hard drugs. :rolleyes::P

One last vid example ( I promise--I know this isn't the forum for this) but couldn't resist posting the last part of what I consider the greatest StarCraft pro game ever played. Stefano was a well known and elite French Zerg player vs Kiwikaki as the Protoss. It was part of a series of games these two played in a tournament a few years back. Notice Kiwikaki's use of his mothership to cloak his units and the War of the World's look of the Protoss Colossi units as they fire their lasers. And then his Vortex...unmatched game special effects and skill controlling their units.

Sooo...still think you're good at the game? And Julia there's your Eihort led Broods (the Zerg). Did you buy it yet!? :P Edited by jackman51

I will always and forever say that Cavedog did it absolutely better. You know what I'm talking about :) Even if SC2 is way more popular, it's still something that people play Cavedog's original 16 years after the release (including me).

Yes Tox I much prefer the original storyline to this Kerrigan as Zerg leader stuff we see now. The new game really is still being fleshed out balance wise with constant computer updates but there is no doubt in my mind the graphics in the new series are absolutely stunning with a HD capable monitor as well as the sound effects. I'll defer to better players as to how well this game plays compared to the original.

jackman,

It's funny that you should mention this line of thought on this forum.  A few months ago, I spent a few hours at a local UPS franchise weighing my Crafthulhu pieces for shipment and don't you know the guy behind the counter is part of an StarCraft group...one of his team members had the chance to go to Essen for one of the myriad championships.  Small world.

Well, I'm slowly getting back to the game...unfortunately, I have to buy a new version of the old game that's compatible with Vista and then head over to SCII.

Cheers,

Joe

I will always and forever say that Cavedog did it absolutely better. You know what I'm talking about :) Even if SC2 is way more popular, it's still something that people play Cavedog's original 16 years after the release (including me).

So, I started college in '97, and lemme tell you, the RTS wars were very hotly fought in my dorm.  Mostly it was between the Starcraft revolutionaries and the Red Alert loyalists, but there were a few who evangelized for Total Annihilation too.  And since it was by far the more innovative and ambitious offering, I really wanted to love its strategically complex and meticulously crafted nondescript planes and cannons more than the Protoss cracklestorms and shouting balls of energy, but the whole thing just felt so boring and sterile.  I guess I'd rather play a fun game than a good one :P(or, less provocatively, I guess I'm more of an Ameritrasher than a wargamer)

Tox likes this

subochre,

I tried recently to load my SC and BW games onto my Vista powered laptop...no go.  So, it appears as though I'll need to find a way to get it installed on this machine or by a new version...or simply get a new laptop.  Anyway, I haven't dropped the coin for SC II yet even though it's been a few years now.

Cheers,

Joe

From what I hear, it's possible to install it in XP Compatibility Mode or something--but then I'm only slightly more current on Windows releases than on Starcraft releases :lol: