Sign in to follow this  
fjw70

What are your current thoughts on this game?

I found 4E fun, though I prefer Pathfinder.  I like grid combat, but EotE is a nice break from that.  I also like how quickly scenes move along when the GM doesn't have to worry about drawing out the map.  One thing I don't like about Pathfinder is how the first hour or so of a scenario can often be a snore fest.  There seems to be a lot more action right out of the gate with EotE, which is awesome.

Edited by verdantsf

I've been considering a couple ways to pull EoTE elements into my current once-per-month 4e game to "speed it up" to the point that I know I will do 2 things right off the hop:

1) Use the shared initiative system from EoTE. I love it. Both my players were actively involved in decided who would go first, so they weren't just waiting around for their turn. As such, I'll still have my players roll intiative in 4e as normal, but they get to decide who goes first.

2) I'm planning on bringing in the actual EOTE dice, but simplified. Easy/Medium/Hard skill checks will be rolled with a D20, but with an appropriate number of eote dice alongside. Each success rolled adds +2 to a d20 roll, each failure, -2. Advantage/Threat will be used for narrative options, or giving boost/setback dice to upcoming rolls. Roll enough advantages on a hit, I'll count it as a crit. :)

One of my guys I was talking to suggested that we finish off my upscaled Reaver of Harkenwold, and then I do an EoTE run while he leads a Forgotten Realms adventure. Eventually I will do Madness at Garmore Abbey with them. I'd like to play more often, but real life for 40-somethings can be a challenge.

I've been running EotE since the beginning of the year and have found it to be a really solid RPG system. It's really completing for my love of my first and favorite RPG, West End Games' D6 Star Wars.

I ran a brief game session using D6 recently for the first time in years, and as easy as I find it to run and play it felt like I was missing half my usual task-resolution toolset without those Narrative dice. They all had fun as usual but I had to inject a lot of my own interpretation into the dice results and behind the screen it felt more like fiat and listening to myself talk than EotE's usual group-driven advantage/disadvantage liveliness.

Not to mention I had them all define specific character goals/motivations beforehand.

A really brief (ok, maybe not-so, but bear with me) background to my gaming experience to give some perspective...

Like many gamers born in the mid seventies, I started out (age 8 or 9) with the red-box basic D&D set, purchased with my cousin in a game store somewhere in Minneapolis. I completely missed AD&D 1st, and rolled right into 2nd edition, right about when it first hit the market....around this time we moved out to Silicon Valley (California). I got pretty much every product ever released for it, all of my pocket money went to buying 'The Complete -Blah- Handbook,' etc. Then (1990 I think), while browsing the Ral Partha figures at D&J Hobby, I came across something called a 'Space Marine' by a relatively unheard of company called Citadel. After asking about a bit, I grabbed up a copy of the Rogue Trader rules and have been a hard core table top miniatures guy ever since. After 20+ years of miniatures gaming (read: hoarding), I discovered that FFG (now already well known for 'best in industry' quality board games) was releasing a new revolutionary RPG based on one of my favorite settings (Warhammer). The 'bits and bobs' that many people complained about were what attracted me to the game initially. It felt more accessible to me as I had felt like I had 'out-grown' role-playing as a pre-adolescent. It had many aspects of a board game, while introducing this fresh narrative dice mechanic. Having already been intimately familiar with the Warhammer World setting, our group eased into the RPG like it was second nature. Plus, I got to use all my beautiful WHFB miniatures instead of the monster 'stands.' I ended up getting every product FFG made for this game, including the POD stuff and was sad to see its support wind down. If I could, I'd still be playing...but our group got busy, people had kids (3 of us in the same year!), and real life just got in the way like it always does.

The one guy that got me into WFRP3rd told me about this new Star Wars RPG that was loosely based on the dice mechanic we all so loved with Warhammer. He ran the beginners game for a new group (all RPG virgins, btw) before I was invited, and to be honest I was hesitant to join in...having invested in all of this WFRP stuff that was now shelved or the most part!

I'm really glad I did join in though...as much of a fan of the 40K universe as I am, for some reason the 40K RPGs never really appealed to me. But I am a Sci-Fi fan more than anything, so this EotE game hits me in the right spot at so many different levels. We have finished the adventure from the Core Rule Book, and are half-way through the GM Kit adventure. We finish that one up this coming Friday night and then I will be GMing Beyond the Rim....I'm getting very excited to get back in the GM chair am spending all of my free time (not much these days) reading and prepping. This and WFRP3rd are the only RPGs I will play now, but knowing my background, maybe that's not saying much ;) For me, I couldn't be more excited, and look forward to much more content...I've even started looking at some old WEG and SAGA adventures to start converting for EotE games.

Edited by Brother Bart

I like EotE, we've been playing for about 7 or 8 weeks. Everyone around the table seems to like it.

My players love the freedom of the move / aim maneuvers and have no trouble with the ranges (yet). We haven't really touched on space combat yet. We like the freedom of the character generation and experience system.

I intend to buy all the books!

I'm a player in a group that's been regularly meeting once a week to play D&D 2e for about 18 months. We have added another game night so we can play EotE every other friday which I GM. We are two games in and it's been super fun.

Our group noticed a couple of difference between the two games. Narrative dice makes so many things possible, a simple attack action has the chance to influence the story or completely change the encounter imaginatively. The second thing we noticed was that EotE hurts our brain more. It's not a hurt that comes from deciphering rules and surviving battles, its a hurt that's in our creative and artistic brain. EotE is definitely more demanding on the player, which isn't a bad thing. EotE Isn't for players who like to pick a power to use, throw a dice, fail/succeed then move on. The third thing we noticed is that EotE has improved our role playing in our D&D sessions. Player's are taking more direct control of their characters and making more creative decisions during the session.

Overall we are having fun playing EotE and don't plan on abandoning either of our games. I approve of how FFG is releasing supplements so far. The new products are more of an enchantment and not essentials to the core rules yet they are still interesting/useful enough to want to pickup. To me the only necessary thing you need besides the core rules, is the time to listen to EotE podcasts like 'Order 66' and absolutely listen to fiddleback's 'Skill Monkey'.

The third thing we noticed is that EotE has improved our role playing in our D&D sessions. Player's are taking more direct control of their characters and making more creative decisions during the session.

This! I had the exact same experience with my Saga edition group. I was like, "where did all these talented roleplayers come from?"

To me the only necessary thing you need besides the core rules, is the time to listen to EotE podcasts like 'Order 66' and absolutely listen to fiddleback's 'Skill Monkey'.

And this. These guys are experienced and passionate roleplayers with a great gift for communication and even-handed rules interpretation. Plus they've had at least half a dozen of FFG staff, game developers, & freelancers on the show in the past 18 episodes. "Celebrity" Live play episodes are good, too. 

I like it, I think this will be my go-to game RPG for some time.

I also understand that there will be people that don't.  I am not here to argue against something you love and enjoy. If you are playing games and having fun who am I to disagree.

It's funny, I almost didn't buy the game because I saw that they were already planning two supplements (Enter the Unknown & Suns of Fortune) and I didn't want to be committed to buying more.

Now, I can't wait for more books.   :P

Unfortunately due to a new job and other time sucking activities I haven't had time to play this yet.  So far I have to say it looks great.  The old Westend Games Star Wars was my first ever RPG I got my teeth into so going back to the this universe is so appealing to me.  I loved Warhammer 3rd edition but did have some minor quibbles with it and this seems to of fixed them.  

The only thing I would say is that the core rulebook is very full meaning that my want for expansions is very low compared to Warhammer where I craved new books.  Odd moan really as it will probably mean I'll save money rather than spending the hundreds I did on Warhammer.

Due to various comrades starting up fall coursework, and the start of volleyball season at my house, EotE has been getting a break.  But I've already planned to yank it off the shelf around the holidays when my peeps are freed up again.

Even though I haven't played it weekly since the Beta, I've run EotE enough to have fatigued of it were it not so much fun to play.  It is the first game I've played in ... maybe ever ... that has actual fun rules.  Usually the mechanics are just something I have to wade through in other games.  But this game is fun.  Even a year in.

Thanksgiving can't come quick enough for me.

As always, YMMV.

There has always been a lot of discussion on various forums, but most notably D&D 4e forums about the concept of a mechanical system supporting role-playing.  I found the discussions quite interesting because if you surf around and watch these discussions unfold, most come to the same conclusion.  A game mechanic "can't" support role-playing because role-playing is free form.

Now I might have in the past agreed to this on some level, but this last year I have definitively changed my mind and Star Wars Edge of the Empire is one of two games that really sealed the concept of a mechanic in fact being able to not only support role-playing but make it much easier and in many ways actually create the opportunities to do so.  Warhammer Fantasy RPG was the first, and naturally Star Wars Edge of the Empire was the second.

In many ways I believe very firmly that these two systems are game changers in terms of defining what a role-playing system is.  The narrative dice, the none invasive mechanic and the elimination of tactical game play I think sort of define this new style of play.  At this point, as I look at my many role-playing books on my shelves, I find myself unmotivated to run any of them because I know I will have to go back to the way things where before WFRPG 3.0 and EOTE.  The static pass/fail results, pushing miniatures around, mechanics that define scenes and leave their foot print all over them.  

For me, I'm not sure there is any going back to be frank.  These two game systems have kind of ruined me for all other role-playing games and when I consider running something like D&D, or World of Darkness, I find myself immediately thinking in terms defined by EOTE.  I start thinking in terms of conversion and I find myself applying many of the concepts created in this and WFRPG.

I really think for me at least personally, these two game systems have completely re-invented what role-playing is. 

How many have you payed the Warhammer Fantasy 3rd Ed and is it as much fun as EotE is? I didn't buy into it when it was first launched due to the requirement of components, the cost of additional adventurer's packs for the additional players and an under appreciation for the dice mechanic. On the surface, it seemed like another business mechanic to get the players to spend more money on custom bespoke components necessary to enjoy the game. The initial box, by most accounts isn't enough for a 5 player group, and requires extras of everything. So, I passed.

Now I have however totally fallen for EotE's dice mechanic, and learning that WHFRP3.0 is an earlier iteration of the dice pool, I was wondering if the game has the same free-form roleplaying narrative goodness that EotE has in Star Warsian scale bucket loads.

I bought WFRP3, but haven't actually played it. From what I can see it does have the same narrative-inspiring mechanics, but unfortunately is polluted by too many unnecessary micro-tactical rules. Think DnD4e. I know my players, they would be bored silly trying to learn it, and that would detract from the game. The most irritating part for me centers around the Stance meter, where you have to decide in combat whether you're taking a defensive or aggressive stance. This impacts the type of dice you roll, how much damage you do and how much you leave yourself open. You can shift your stance during combat, but only by so many increments. Meanwhile you have power cards, which have a specific recharge rate (kind of like 4e's powers that recharge each turn, encounter, or daily), whose impact depends on your stance...too cumbersome, and far too much paraphernalia. My players would be so uninterested in the micro-mechanics it would drain them of enthusiasm for the narrative part. I wish they'd release WFRP4, using EotE's streamlined mechanics.

Eventhough, I've loved playing/GMing 4th Edition for years and found it to be an absolute blast I still always felt we were playing two seperate games. It was extremely rough getting my players to roleplay their combat encounters so we went from all out table theater to playing a board game within seconds quite often. I tried hard to engage the players and have them commit to their roles even while the miniatures were out but to no avail... I never did miss the necessary support to roleplay though and we spend multiple sessions without any combat whatsoever just playing our characters.

I am however intend on making EotE, and it's cousins, our main focus.

^This seemed to be the problem with group activities once I crossed that boundary into my thirties (8 long years ago) it sucks...

Looking back on my life as a teen, twentier I now wonder where I got my time from. I wonder whether time moved at a slower pace when I was younger...

It's even worse for me in my 50s.  My kids are all grown up.  My son still likes playing, which is a hoot because he's hilarious, but all my friends who like to play decided for some reason to wait until their late 40s to have kids, so they're all dealing with the 4-12 phases and have almost no time.  We joke that 30 years from now we'll get all the time for gaming we want at the old folks home :)