Sign in to follow this  
korto

Whirlpool Q

Situation: Runner encounters whirlpool. Cannot jack out for the remainder of the run. Next ice: Bullfrog. Corp wins the bid and brings the runner on an unprotected remote server. Asset: Junebug, with 4 counters. Question is, can the runner decides not to access the asset or is this part of the run and the runner is forced to access it ?

I think they're stuck. The runner has one last chance to jack-out after the last ICE (but this is taken away by Whirlpool). If the runner chooses not to, or is unable to, jack-out during the server approach, then they must access at least one card.

edit: slightly ninja'd by the guy who went for the short and sweet approach

Edited by stormwolf27

I see. We were under the impression that accessing a card is different from jacking out; JA only applies to ice and access only applies to Assets/agendas/upgrades installed on a server.

I see. We were under the impression that accessing a card is different from jacking out; JA only applies to ice and access only applies to Assets/agendas/upgrades installed on a server.

well, after the last piece of ice, but before accessing the server (not installed assets/upgrades/agendas), there is the last chance to jack-out. just like you can jack-out while approaching the next piece of ice protecting the server. Once you make the decision to keep going, though (which not breaking Whirlpool takes the choice away and makes you continue since you cannot jack-out till the run is done), you must encounter the next ice or access at least one card in the server (more if you have HQ or R&D Interface out and are running on those servers)

Indeed. Jacking out is the game term for voluntarily ending the run. This also includes the decision of whether or not to access cards. The only way for the run to end before access is through being flatlined or another card effect ending the run.

Note that if the Runner has the ability to do something other than Access (such as Bank Job), they are still allowed to do that.

Good point, I should have said the only way to end the run before the run is considered successful (which is the point at which a runner may choose to Bank Job instead of accessing).