Sign in to follow this  
Distractionbeast

Using A Good Harvest with 0 cost cards

Anyone know if you can use A Good Harvest to pay for 0 cost cards that DO NOT match any of your heroes' spheres? 

A Good Harvest:

Action: Name a sphere. Until the end of the phase, you can spend resources of any sphere when paying for cards that belong to the named sphere.

Technically, the player is not spending resources when paying for a 0 cost card, and in the core rules, it is stated that to play a 0 cost card, you must have a hero with a matching sphere.  According to my reading of the card and rules, I must assume I CAN NOT pay for 0 cost cards with A Good Harvest, but I haven't seen a ruling on it.

Anyone?

I agree with you.

as "A Good Harvest" does not give a sphere icon,

as the rules clearly state that for 0 cost card you need a matching sphere,

and you aren't spending resources on 0 cost cards, as stated by the action on card,

you cannot play o cost cards with A Good Harvest that you do not have a matching hero

The only possibility I see which might allow this is if 0 is considered an enumeration for the purposes of paying resources.  Honestly, I have trouble seeing how treating 0 cost cards differently from 1 cost cards conforms to the spirit of the game, but it seems to conform to the letter of the rules.

As a mathematician I'd say that zero is still a number. If you pay zero resources of that sphere (which you have to, and that's the point), everything is fine. The bit about the printed resource icon was included to prevent paying these cards with resources from other spheres.

As a mathematician I'd say that zero is still a number. If you pay zero resources of that sphere (which you have to, and that's the point), everything is fine. The bit about the printed resource icon was included to prevent paying these cards with resources from other spheres.

The card uses the word 'spend,' and as a linguist I'd say it's a semantic train wreck if you want to argue that you are 'spending' something when you 'pay' 0 resources!

I think the intention of A Good Harvest is clear: you can pay for cards of any sphere. Why zero cost cards should not be included requires a very good explanation (hint: there is none).

This card's ability gives you the resource match (core rules p. 12) to pay and play cards from any sphere. If you have a general resource match, you obviously can play and pay a zero cost card from any sphere.

I think the intention of A Good Harvest is clear: you can pay for cards of any sphere. Why zero cost cards should not be included requires a very good explanation (hint: there is none).

This card's ability gives you the resource match (core rules p. 12) to pay and play cards from any sphere. If you have a general resource match, you obviously can play and pay a zero cost card from any sphere.

I agree with you here cose you are very logic. But Caleb change his mind alraeady couple of times about other things so let him think a bit more and who know....?

Same loragorn +desperade alliance. This will be too broken and with new Doom player cards from Isengard expansion will be crazy powerful.  He will change his mind i suppose.