Sign in to follow this  
Cilionelle

Royal Guard and doubled up Modifications

Is there anywhere in the rules that would disallow a Royal Guard TIE/IN (with title) taking two of the same modification (thinking specifically two Shield Upgrades)?

yeah the Royal Guard Title says 2 different modifications.

Then again, 2 identical Rookie X-Wings are 2 different ships.

Are you kidding me?  If they didn't want them to be Different mods, they would have just put "May equip two modifications".  There's only 1 reason why they would put the word different.  It's not crystal clear in english i guess, but in reasoning it is.

If the card say "different" then that should mean two upgrades that can be told apart immediately.  If you used two cards with the same upgrade the game has no way to tell them apart; with no way to tell the cards apart is there really any way to call them "different" when you can't say which is which the moment you look away?

The game does NOT allow for two "identical" ships.  If you happened to be flying a squadron of eight Academy Pilots all may be using the same type of ship but none are "identical" as the game says each must be assigned a unique number to differentiate it from all of the other similar ships.

Honestly the only upgrade I see causing any issue doubled is the Stealth Device. I see no problem balance-wise with having two different Shield Upgrades.

Hey i will not argue if my opponent insists on taking 2 Engine upgrades on his Interceptor so he has 3 boost symbols to choose from XD

Edited by ForceM

Honestly, I'm not sure how many people would object to seeing two shield upgrades on the same ship as you'd only face them one at a time.  The killer is easily putting two Stealth Devices on the ship increasing its defense dice to 5 even before range and obstacles become a factor. 

It's pretty obvious that it means two *different* upgrades.  The argument about two Rookie Pilots being different is a big stretch, and it's this kind of twisting of meanings that is ruining games like HeroClix.  Enough is enough already.  We don't need a FAQ for every bloody little thing.

"You may equip up to 2 different Modification upgrades (instead of 1)."

If you think that is unclear, you are trying to read something into it that is not there.

What constitutes 1 different modification? (Since I missed the word different and some of the responses here are quite fun...)