Sign in to follow this  
blazingsquirrel

How does one acquire the Deathwatch Scout Armour?

So my Ultramarine's Tactical Marine has been constantly targeted for death due to my GM's inherent hatred of anything Matt Ward related and his hatred of anyone not wearing a helmet (so far I've defied all odds and survived) and felt like making some sort of sniper. This then lead to me trying to figure out the best armor and I remembered the Deathwatch Scout Armour from Rites of Battle and checked it out. I'm not sure if I'm blind or if my book is missing the info (I got the copy the day it came out, not sure if newer prints have the erratas written in), but I can't seem to locate a cost and a renown requirement.

It doesn't have one, you are simply replacing your standard armour for the scout armour which is seen as a lesser armour for those who are not full battle brothers. (except in the case of Space Wolf Scouts). Thats the way I see it anyway. The errata only mentions the lack of penalties to stealthy activities, and the fact that the deed Right gear for the job, gives you access to a suit of master crafted scout armour. (may have to change that for my Raven Guard sniper/scout)

A Wolf Scout player has both sets and can choose based on the mission prior to deployment.  All others much procure via Requisition Point process (unless playing an Astartes Neophyte which would be exceedingly rare due to their inexperience on the battlefield unlike Wolf Scouts that are Veteran Battle Brothers).  All others may also (and should) incur some form of penalty due to the discomfort of not being fully armored upon deployment (a nakedness penalty) though no such rule exists.

I'm sorry but i think the idea of a nakedness penalty is a little silly (but i understand what you mean) considering that a spacemarine scout can spend the better part of 10 to 30 years as a scout (depending what chapter you come from) wearing that kind of armor. unless you meant that as a joke, then its pretty funny ^_^

I would give it free since its a downgrade, but i could also make it cost the same as carapace armor for an imperial guard (and i have no idea what that would be since i dont have the book with me).

i just saw the DW scout armor thats bad a$$

also the armor you came with to the deathwatch belongs to your character so i don't see the DW taking your armor as a trade for a scout armor.

so it would cost you nothing and they would give it to you and want it back when you were done with there service unless they gift it to you, i also think there would have to be some customization to fit it for you but it would be a simple thing.

Edited by spector

What I meant was that there would have to be some potential negatives for balance sake.  Depending on the mission, load-outs would have to be different than if they were in Power Armor and/or there would have to be penalties associated.  For instance, one cannot expect to take a Heavy Bolter without penalties to Movement Rate and Agility due to weight and bulk, as well as Accuracy in firing due to not being able to lock the Power Armor servos to be "braced" while firing.  Movement Rate and Agility would have to be halved at least and possibly as much as -30 to Accuracy.  Just an example to try and make my point.  Also, keep in mind that one cannot Mag-Lock a bunch of gear like they would in Power Armor.  Holsters and harnasses would be needed and straps and such do tend to get snagged and hung up on things from time to time depending on terrain and circumstances.

Though I can see having the availability of nearly everything in the Imperial Armory Inventory, I do have a bit of a problem with "anyone can have anything" being a generalized if not implied rule.  Wolf Scout gets two sets, Scout and Power Armor, that is clearly stated in the book.  Just giving everyone anything they want because "it'll be cool" just takes away from the elements that make things the way they are in the 40K Universe.  Astartes Scouts are neophyte initiates that do not have, IMHO, the requisite battlefield experience to make the grade in the Deathwatch.  Wolf Scouts as stated earlier are Veteran warriors unlike Astartes Scouts.  That distinction provides the allowance that they get two sets of armor because there will be times when environmentally sealed Power Armor is neccessitated by the mission, otherwise the Scout Armor allows him the flexibility to detach from the squad to provide flanking/overwatch/intel or be the hammer to the squads anvil in an ambush or flush and trap type of scenario.

FFG should probably provide better/clearer guidance on Requisition cost if Scout Armor is going to be "available to the masses" for lack of a better term.  Otherwise it would seem that it was included as merely reference in describing the different types of Astartes Armor and maybe some restrictions (like Skills and Talents) need to be included; Concealment, Shadowing, Silent Move to offset the (normally) Tactical Marine (for example) basically plodding/stomping around in Power Armor and making a huge audible signature while wearing the less restrictive Scout Armor or GMing negatives to Players and positives to adversaries in detection and such for game balance.

This is a really good question.

I am about to run my first game on a forum with friends around the world (play-by-play style) and one of my NPCs is a Kill-Marine from the Space Wolves that will be roughly one rank above my starting players. The PCs will start at rank 1, fresh into the Watch.

Anyways, my NPC is a gregarious `lone wolf` <-- see what I did there? And aside from infiltration and rallying imperial settlements, he is a sniper. He is going to get the badass sniper rifle for Astartes from Rites of Battle and an Assault Shotgun, and he is very much akin to American Delta Force right now. He gets in good with local communities and helps them in order to help his mission. Because of this, he cannot be in Power Armor. It is a personal choice and it makes him more approachable.

As it stands, I can either have him in Scout Armor with its penalties (less armor rating and no enhanced strength + everything else that comes with not having power armor) or I can homebrew up some sort of modified power armor for him. Perhaps just the breast plate and shoulder guards or something. I am not sure what to do and would like any help or suggestions you more experienced players can offer.

This is a really good question.

I am about to run my first game on a forum with friends around the world (play-by-play style) and one of my NPCs is a Kill-Marine from the Space Wolves that will be roughly one rank above my starting players. The PCs will start at rank 1, fresh into the Watch.

Anyways, my NPC is a gregarious `lone wolf` <-- see what I did there? And aside from infiltration and rallying imperial settlements, he is a sniper. He is going to get the badass sniper rifle for Astartes from Rites of Battle and an Assault Shotgun, and he is very much akin to American Delta Force right now. He gets in good with local communities and helps them in order to help his mission. Because of this, he cannot be in Power Armor. It is a personal choice and it makes him more approachable.

As it stands, I can either have him in Scout Armor with its penalties (less armor rating and no enhanced strength + everything else that comes with not having power armor) or I can homebrew up some sort of modified power armor for him. Perhaps just the breast plate and shoulder guards or something. I am not sure what to do and would like any help or suggestions you more experienced players can offer.

You are confusing elements of your "Lone Wolf" and personality traits.  Space Wolves in general ARE gregarious, however, those that walk the path guided by Lokyar are not and no Lone Wolf ever will be again (after losing ones pack to become a Lone Wolf it is completely understandable and extremely out of character for him to exhibit such a trait).

I have created such a character and if you'd like I would consider sharing the character summary written for him.....but he is NOT gregarious and nor are members of the Army's Delta Force....those are purely fantasy concoctions by Hollyweird.

Perhaps I worded my response oddly.

I was not confusing a Lone Wolf trait. I was merely using that phrasing to emphasize that my NPC is a kill marine who often times goes on missions completely alone. He has the Gregarious personal demeanor.

I need the stats for Deathwatch Scout Armor so I can properly equip him.

And I would love a copy of your character. It is always good to have a couple extra NPC ideas lying around.

Edited by pearldrum1