Sign in to follow this  
SentinelJP

New Player's Ship List (Buying Advice Needed Please)

Hi all,

I'm new to the game but already addicted. I love the detail of the ships and I'm looking forward to all the options wave 3 is bringing.

I'm looking for advice from some of you veterans before I round out my collection.

Here is my current and future list. Please let me know if I should get more or less of anything here? The reason I'm ordering several of each kind is I am anticipating being the only one of my friends to have the game, so I want to make sure we always have enough ships to give us plenty of options. (Also maybe opportunities for repaints?)

Thanks and I welcome any suggestions. Please feel free to share your ship lists too! I'd love to see what others are favouring.

Currently Owned

X-Wing (Core Set) x2

TIE Fighter (Core Set) x4

A-Wing x2

Millennium Falcon x1

Slave 1 x1

Just Ordered (en-route)

B-Wing x4

HWK 290 x2

Lambda Shuttle x2

TIE Bomber x4

TIE Interceptor x3

Intend to Buy

X-Wing (Expansion) x2

TIE Fighter (Expansion) x2

Y-Wing x4

TIE Advanced x2

TIE Interceptor x1

Millennium Falcon x1

Slave 1 x1

A-Wing x2

Imperial Aces (Expansion) x2

Final Total After All Purchases

A-Wing x4

B-Wing x4

X-Wing (Core Set) x2

X-Wing (Expansion) x2

Y-Wing x4

Millennium Falcon x2

HWK 290 x2

TIE Advanced x2

TIE Interceptor x4

TIE Bomber x4

Slave 1 x2

Lambda Shuttle x2

Total Individual Ships x44

Edited by SentinelNZ

Yeah, I've kinda broken the bank since I discovered this game haha! But I just can't help it.... The ships are so pretty!

I've been trying to find information about the Advanced TIE, I'm wondering where it fits in best? With the new wave 3 ships out now, has it's role changed? I'm curious as to how others have been using them before I commit to getting any.

The TIE advanced is generally considered a weak ship and is rarely used, and Darth Vader is pretty much the only pilot that gets used due to his ability.  Some people are trying to find way to force it into usefulness in the wave 3 environment but it's still pretty questionable.  Typically one is all you really need, I have three but one or two is definitely enough

Unless I am reading this list incorrectly your next purchases should unquestionably be 1 X-Wing expansion and 1 TIE expansion. In fact I would go so far as to say that those should have been purchased prior to some of the other things you already purchased.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I think you would also be better off getting just 1 of those expansions and a 3rd Core set instead of 2 each of the x-wing/tie expansions.

Without the X-wing expansion you don't have Wedge who is arguably the best Rebel out there.

I see.  Thanks for the info!

So, from what I've been seeing so far on the forums and in YouTube vids, the TIE Interceptor seems to be one of the most favoured and versatile ships on the Imperial side?  

I'm actually more interested in playing the rebels, but I'd be keen on trying my hand at the Imperials from time to time. TIE swarms also seem to be popular, but I'd prefer more variety in my squadrons.

Trust me, I've tried to find the X-Wing and TIE Fighter expansions, but every place is sold out that I've tried.  I live in Japan, so ordering online is the only option for me.  

I'm definitely going to make those the first purchases I make as soon as they release the wave 1 reprints.  Gotta get Wedge!!

Only thing I'd add, is 2 more Tie Fighters.  That way you can run the 8 Tie/Ln swarm list.  Right now it looks liike you only have plans to have 6 of them.

Other then that, you will pretty much own enough of everything that you can put together pretty much every list out there.

You can never have too many TIEs.  A couple of Slave-1s are good, because I think that's oddly enough the only ship that comes with Stealth Device (is this still true?).  So if you wanted to put Stealth on more than a couple of ships you need multiple Firesprays.

The TIE Advanced...hmm.  I actually kind of like it, but I also understand why a lot of people don't.  Darth Vader is awesome - it's probably worth getting just for him.  Maarek Steele is actually a pretty good pilot as well.  The problem is that the Advanced is fairly pricey points-wise, and its improvements over the stock TIE are kind of questionable.  The action bar is very nice, adding missiles is cool, but it loses a step in maneuvering and doesn't add any more base firepower.  And you can basically buy a couple of cheap TIEs for the same cost as a single Advanced when list-building.

It's probably worth having at least one, for Vader.  I don't know if it comes with any cards you can't get anywhere else.  It's kind of hard to recommend buying much more than that (although I have 2 myself) unless you've got a soft spot for it.  But I do think it's a ship that will see some more play with Wave 3 options, and I'd be surprised if we didn't see more cards coming out every expansion that potentially make it a more viable option.

@VandorDM:  Yeah I might go ahead and add an extra two TIE Fighters to my shopping list at some stage.  Thanks for the advice.

Is there any reason to get more than one of each of the expansion packs for the TIE and X-Wing?  It seems that one of each of those and another core set (bringing me up to three) would be better value for the extra dice, templates cards etc.  

@CrookedWookie:  I'd like to have the option to field Vader for sure.  And as you say, who knows what future cards will bring to the table for the TIE Advanced?  Might be worth getting a couple of extras just in case.  They're so hard to find I don't want to miss out next time.  

I think Slave 1 actually comes with two copies of the stealth device?  I can't remember offhand.  But if so, then adding one more Slave 1 would provide a nice set of upgrades for half a TIE swarm.

Thanks!

I'm perpetually running out of stealth device cards. It's really annoying.

With some of the Wave 3 abilities out, Maarek Stele becomes semi-viable alongside Vader, but as has been said, the cost is simply too high for what you get, if you're trying to build a highly competitive squad. If they lowered the cost of the Advanced by 2 points I think it'd get a lot more use.

Hi all,

I'm new to the game but already addicted. I love the detail of the ships and I'm looking forward to all the options wave 3 is bringing.

I'm looking for advice from some of you veterans before I round out my collection.

Here is my current and future list. Please let me know if I should get more or less of anything here? The reason I'm ordering several of each kind is I am anticipating being the only one of my friends to have the game, so I want to make sure we always have enough ships to give us plenty of options. (Also maybe opportunities for repaints?)

Thanks and I welcome any suggestions. Please feel free to share your ship lists too! I'd love to see what others are favouring.

Currently Owned

X-Wing (Core Set) x2

A-Wing x2

Millennium Falcon x1

Slave 1 x1

Just Ordered (en-route)

B-Wing x4

HWK 290 x2

Lambda Shuttle x2

TIE Bomber x4

TIE Interceptor x3

Intend to Buy

X-Wing (Expansion) x2

Y-Wing x4

TIE Advanced x2

TIE Interceptor x1

Millennium Falcon x1

Slave 1 x1

A-Wing x2

Final Total After All Purchases

A-Wing x4

B-Wing x4

X-Wing (Core Set) x2

X-Wing (Expansion) x2

Y-Wing x4

Millennium Falcon x2

HWK 290 x2

TIE Advanced x2

TIE Interceptor x4

TIE Bomber x4

Slave 1 x2

Lambda Shuttle x2

Total Individual Ships x44

You'd have 8 Tie Interceptors total. I don't know if you really need 8 Tie Interceptors...

The hardest thing I've found is finding a way to store everything as the expansions grow! (I know, first world problems...)

Edited by Deltmi

I've been trying to find information about the Advanced TIE, I'm wondering where it fits in best? With the new wave 3 ships out now, has it's role changed? I'm curious as to how others have been using them before I commit to getting any.

I think the TIE Advanced sort of has a little new life with wave 3.  The bombers can aid the secondary weapons and then you have a pretty good combat vessel.  For the cost though, IDK, could go either way.

My only cautionary note in buying is that the Aces expansion has me a little perplexed.  I was orginally going to get another Falcon and Slave I, but now I think they may release them again with different paint jobs.  I know it sounds tacky but I really don't want two unique ships like the falcon on the battle looking the same.

Is that wrong.  It just seems tacky.

But this is coming from the guy with 5 TIE, 3 TIE INT, 2 Advanced, 2 Bombers, 1 Slave, 3 X-wing, 2 A-wing, 2 Y-wing, 2 B-wing and 1 Falcon.

but now I think they may release them again with different paint jobs.

You're not the first person to mention that, and it seems like it's something they might do...

But on the other hand, the 181st and EGI are both at least semi-well known ships from the EU.  Repaints of X-Wings for Rogue squad would also make sense.

But how many other YT-1200's are there in the EU?  Ones that would stand out because of a different paint job?  Ones that would make sense to include a new set of cards with?

Reading the first post I thought that this must be something I had written but forgotten about, As it describes me perfectly!

I've started recently, splurged on a few ships (2 cores, tie, tie advanced, firespray, x wing, a wing) and am awaiting 2 b wings, 1 bomber, 2 more a wings, 2 interceptors and a second firespray, while a friend bought the MF to add to the collective (played 2 games with it yesterday and I took it out both times, and managed to fly 4 ties and darth without too much crashing!).

I have to agree that having 8 interceptors is a bit much (although thanks to paint its 4 interceptors, 2 181st interceptors and 2 royal guard interceptors), though I do love interceptors and I'm tempted to buy a 3rd, but I will be buying the expansion for sure so will hold off.

This is an awesome game, and I'm happy to purchase most of it, aiming on 1 of each ship minimum, with 2+ ships I like. 

Several of my gaming group have either played or expressed interest too, which is great!

Regarding the overkill on the TIE Interceptors. I guess I'm not sure how many I need in a standard squadron. I wanted to have enough plain black ones to do the job, and I wanted two packs of the Imperial Aces set for the cards as well as... well, look at those things! But I guess having 8 is a few too many, so should I just get 4 standard TIE Interceptors and only one of the Imperial Aces, or 2 standard and 2 Imperial Aces sets?

As for the repaints, while I like the idea of FFG releasing repaints, if you're anything like me then it actually makes you more hesitant to buy in right away. I tend to want to "wait and see" and could end up missing out on building up my collection and just enjoying the game for months while waiting and hoping they'll release the A-Wings in green and blue colour schemes, or release hero X-Wings etc.

For storage I'm planning to get a Battle Foam 432 with two sets of the Wave 3 Mixed Rebel/Imperial trays with the component storage trays. http://us.battlefoam.com/star-wars-game-with-wave-3-foam-kit-for-the-p-a-c-k-216-bf/

I prefer this unit composition over the individual Rebel/Imperial trays, mainly because I can't think why I would ever need 4 Firesprays! I already emailed Battle Foam regarding the fit for the 432 bag and they said it would be a bit snug, but it would fit since the bag can stretch a little.

Does anyone else use Battle Foam? I've heard KR and the tackle box options are quite popular too.