Sign in to follow this  
ContrivedRabbit

Proton Bombs

Proton bombs deal 1 Face up card to a ship, technically not damage; meaning you can't cancel it with a Shield. The actual damage is dependent on the card dealt.

Bombs also usually trigger before the actual Combat phase, making them a sort of preemptive strike.

Proton bombs deal 1 Face up card to a ship, technically not damage; meaning you can't cancel it with a Shield. The actual damage is dependent on the card dealt.

Bombs also usually trigger before the actual Combat phase, making them a sort of preemptive strike.

Wouldn't the card still be counted as at least 1 damage anyway?

Technically, damage doesn't destroy ships.  Having damage cards, either face up or down, equal to the hull value is what destroys ships although the way a Direct Hit is worded can confuse the issue.

PS.  See KO already mentioned most of that although the wording on the Direct Hit damage card uses the words "damage" instead of saying it counts as two damage cards.

Edited by StevenO

While we are on the subject of proton bombs. Has anyone been able to use them efectivly yet? It seems like they would be kind of hard to hit with. I haven't tryed them out myself yet. I was thinking of running slave 1 or shuttle with the ion cannon upgrade and a bomber or two with proton bombs.

While we are on the subject of proton bombs. Has anyone been able to use them efectivly yet? It seems like they would be kind of hard to hit with. I haven't tryed them out myself yet. I was thinking of running slave 1 or shuttle with the ion cannon upgrade and a bomber or two with proton bombs.

I've yet to use the Proton Bomb, but have made very good use of Seismic Charges in the past, same basic function.  It does require a bit of careful prediction, and I think it's easier to drop them from a Firespray, because the large base does more to limit where your opponent can move and therefore makes them predictable...  But they can be very effective.

Hi All

This is for Tk2166, in reply about proton bombs and their damage. Well let me tell you tonight tookout 2 B-wings and 2 HWK’s with 3 well placed tokens. Try dropping them and doing a 5 reverce, your apponent will love it.

proton bombs have a great tactical advantage, makes you think twice before closing the distance on bombers... which could leave you in range for their missiles if equipped. Something to think about.. 

proton bombs have a great tactical advantage, makes you think twice before closing the distance on bombers... which could leave you in range for their missiles if equipped. Something to think about.. 

I concur. In my experience, proton bombs (and seismics to a lesser extent) are far more effective for their dissuasive effects rather than their actual warhead damage. My opponents always tend to do strange maneuvers when I equip them. And they work specially well as enemy's K-Turn deterrents.

Edit: And if you match them with an Intelligence Agent, you can increase both their warhead effectiveness (You will know when to drop them) and their dissuasive effect (Your opponent knows that you will know when to drop them).

Edited by Jehan Menasis