kinnison

Beyond the Rim, thoughts (Obvious spoilers)

Happy Daze.... So true... :)

MrJamela....I agree i could rant for quite a while about this module...but instead here is my hand-crafted map using the high tech tools at my disposal   https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4d7BYnpX-agNDQwdmplWHlxRUUtZUI5WHFEMmpWUmtyOHpJ/edit?usp=sharing  . If you have any problems downloading this... let me know.

That helps.

What did you use for the ship? That is my main concern at this point for my game this weekend.

Jaime

I didn't use a map at all...simply just described. Here are some notes I made to aid me during play. For the most part I used threat to cause strain.

They started to climb the ship until the Dug failed (dispair) a climb check and fell down into the ship.  I had a couple of the events take place culminating with the Nexu (which is where we left off last night).  

Describing went ok, and is a tad easier when doing via Hangouts. 

MAIN HULL MADNESS

4. EXPLORING THE WRECKAGE

It is important for the players to do a quick scan of the ship as well as find the bridge. This can be done via climbing the structure and transversing that way OR can be done by going compartment by compartment.

BY EXTERIOR
1. Climbing the structure
    The trees and foliage makes for some opportunities for hand-holds. The sheer size of the structure makes is fairly difficult feat. The climb is normally hard but, due to the serious nature of the climb and the potential for bad things to happen it will be [cdd] +bThe setback are mitigated if they have climbing gear, or one b is remove if the party has some rope. Use failure for extended time...or stress damage. Threats can mean animal threats...or bad weather.....or whatever.

2. Traveling the length of the ship. This ship has taken a fair amount of damage and that has messed with the integrity of the hull. Also, vegetation has grown upon the surface, making this another jungle layer. This would be  good opportunity for them to come across Nexu or even fall through into the ship below.

Make a couple checks  [cdd] against a reasonable skill of their choice. y indicates a fall through the structure.

3. Climbing the superstructure is a much more difficult circumstance. Make three of the standard checks with each check, the results of a y is more dire. 

BY INTERIOR

Climb up to entrance...reasonably easy to find a point to enter and start the trek. The bottom layers were crushed and along the lenght of the ship, the hull has buckled in many places leaving gaping openings that allow one passage into the ship.  The ship will be more like a dark cavern...dark, holding moisture...and in many cases cooler than the exterior jungle. 

Sectional Events
   A.   Blocked Passage
          A Squeeze though - 1 stress per silhouette
          Bulkhead door shut -  athletics [ddddd] to move ... or some skills of another sort.
          Fallen structures...material blockage. [ddd] + b per silhouette .

B. Weakened floor - fall though...Coordination Check [cc

C. Getting lost - Windy passages, trying different paths only to have to turn around and try a different location Survival [ddd]

D. Elevator Shaft - Athletics [cdd] to climb up (or look for the stairs-or come up with alternative method) 

E. Animal Threats
             Nexu
             Aboreal Octopii

Cyber-Nexu ambush - Players make a Vigilance vs. Stealth with the players getting bb

---->3 Cyber-Nexu
----->IT-3PO activates internal homing beacon...12 hours until Arak droid is sent.

Another thing I have been meaning to ask.

This adventure is lousy with fear. Are people using that mechanic much? It seems counter to the cinematic feel of Star Wars. Although I guess if a player wants to be fearless they should really be buying up their Cool and Discipline skills....

I'm running part two of my game tomorrow. I'll report back on how it went.

Jaime

I just finished reading through it today, is it just me or does that reward seem like a massive amount of credits? I'm pretty sure that's been talked about in here before, but come on. I'll certainly be lowering that.

There's no gaurantee that the players will get the whole reward. My players barely broke even once the costs to repair their ship and replenish some lost gear were tallied. Well, that and the costs to settle the charges they faced on the Wheel for their actions in Act 1.

I just finished reading through it today, is it just me or does that reward seem like a massive amount of credits? I'm pretty sure that's been talked about in here before, but come on. I'll certainly be lowering that.

There's no gaurantee that the players will get the whole reward. My players barely broke even once the costs to repair their ship and replenish some lost gear were tallied. Well, that and the costs to settle the charges they faced on the Wheel for their actions in Act 1.

Ah those are good points. Hadn't thought of it in those terms, thanks!

Ah those are good points. Hadn't thought of it in those terms, thanks!

Wait until Despairs show up when in Negotiation with Reom at the end - my group got told to get off of Iso-One and don't let the hatch close on your sphincter. IsoTech now refuses to deal with them in any fashion, so the whole mission was something of a colossal failure for them. But they're still flying...

I had the characters disarmed for that part of the adventure. It seemed to be the only sensible option for a paranoid group.

My party wasn't disarmed at this point. Harsol trusted them cause they brought his droid. Second thing was, he had enough battle droids my party was respecting. Further on they noticed their bad shapes.

This adventure is awesome! Me and my people are enjoying it very much. The now escaped from Cholgana and the Empire is close on them. Last session was full of action. The Empire attacked the sattlement and they managed to escape with Cratala and Rewna. Rewna got a portion of burning gel and one of my players used it to burn a hole through the wall while a AT-ST was firing on them. Outside they ran into an ambush by a Trooper minon. After that they made it through the jungle. Bad thing was, that they were on the wrong side of the canyon. So they had to climb over the engine part of the Sal Nalaor wreckage. On the other side their ship. But some troopers already found their escape  and were waiting at the ship with a sniper rifle. First thing was to stop the sniper. Then they were attacked by a patrolling Tie. They lift up and found out, that the empire blocked their hyperdrive by a nasty virus. While they tried to get rid of it they were attacked by some Ties. At least they managed to make the jump.

That was really much fun and my hot shot player is happy to get a sniper rifle :) Well we will see how they will do the game on Raxus Prime :)

Edited by Gargi

I had the characters disarmed for that part of the adventure. It seemed to be the only sensible option for a paranoid group.

My party wasn't disarmed at this point. Harsol trusted them cause they brought his droid. Second thing was, he had enough battle droids my party was respecting. Further on they noticed their bad shapes.

How did the (armed) PCs respond to the guys asking Harsol why he hadn't killed them yet? ;)

-->Wait until Despairs show up when in Negotiation with Reom at the end - my group got told to get off of Iso-One and don't let the hatch close on your sphincter. IsoTech now refuses to deal with them in any fashion, so the whole mission was something of a colossal failure for them. But they're still flying...

Sounds like a new adventure.....LETS GET REOM!!!

How did the (armed) PCs respond to the guys asking Harsol why he hadn't killed them yet? ;)

This was part of the fun. They noticed soon, that there were two groups but they didn't know who was on whom's side. They kept calm but had a bad feeling. Harsol was the one keeping people cool and the players trusted him quickly (hard work for me as GM ;) ). One of us feared, that they won't not let them go anymore and had to look for a plan to escape. That was at our session last week. Much conversation and discussions to get a clean view about the situation there. 

Edited by Gargi

-->Wait until Despairs show up when in Negotiation with Reom at the end - my group got told to get off of Iso-One and don't let the hatch close on your sphincter. IsoTech now refuses to deal with them in any fashion, so the whole mission was something of a colossal failure for them. But they're still flying...

That's no adventure. That's just the murder hobos wanting to stretch their trigger fingers.

That's no adventure. That's just the murder hobos wanting to stretch their trigger fingers.

I would think that after risking their lives and having a customer renege after gaining the benefit of their action..wouldn't sit well...even in the "best" of men. Well, it doesn't have to be murder...it could be finding some way of extracting out the money that he owes them...Confiscating property, hacking accounts or perhaps even attempting to take down his business.

I would think that after risking their lives and having a customer renege after gaining the benefit of their action..wouldn't sit well...even in the "best" of men. Well, it doesn't have to be murder...it could be finding some way of extracting out the money that he owes them...Confiscating property, hacking accounts or perhaps even attempting to take down his business.

Oh, they paid the remainder of the 10,000 credits, but that's it. The characters were never promised anything more. They had no reason to expect that Reom/IsoTech would throw in a massive bonus or establish business ties with them. For many groups, that's what will happen as a 'happy ending' but none of that is guaranteed, and going after Reom/IsoTech if it doesn't happen is just a murder hobo rampage IMO.

I am now getting ready for the players to encounter Harsol. I see that they are expected to make a charm check against his cool...which will be a very difficult task as they don't have any real face skills. While it doesn't seem to be a bad thing for then to fail, this does seem like an impossible task. How has this worked for others? With at least for chances to roll at least one despair, this could be very ugly.

One thought  I had was to have the players roll against the opposing group's leader (I am going to have ISB instead of Yiyar) to determine who had the upper hand in relation to the Harsol's favor.....Thoughts?

I am now getting ready for the players to encounter Harsol. I see that they are expected to make a charm check against his cool...which will be a very difficult task as they don't have any real face skills. While it doesn't seem to be a bad thing for then to fail, this does seem like an impossible task. How has this worked for others? With at least for chances to roll at least one despair, this could be very ugly.

One thought  I had was to have the players roll against the opposing group's leader (I am going to have ISB instead of Yiyar) to determine who had the upper hand in relation to the Harsol's favor.....Thoughts?

My players failed with Harsol. Badly...

My players failed with Harsol. Badly...

HappyDaze, your results with both Reom and Harsol got me thinking...which may be a weakness in they dice system. Lets say two people are on excellent terms with each other...one the patron the other is the "go-to" man. Lets say as an expert negotiator, the Patron knowingly slightly low-balls the offer to which the other fellow says, "Come on, man..you know that is well below the going rate....I will do it for X". Now X is the going rate or maybe slightly above that rate...but completely reasonable. The Patron has Reom's/Harsol's stats and the other fellow has your typical players......The negotiations will fail (almost a given) and there is a good chance that at least one dispair will be rolled. If the despairs should be interpreted a serious repercussion then the better the negotiator the more likely things will EXPLODE. That make no sense. I would think the despairs (things exploding) would happen more with people you have bad relationships with AND with people with terrible cool.

I am not challenging your rulings as it seems to be very much in line with the RAW....I just find the rules perplexing. The most skilled negotiators will like be the ones mostly to kill negotiations over even trivial issues.

Thoughts?

Edited by azato

not every interaction needs to result in a dice roll. before requiring a roll from my players i ask myself is there a particular reason i want them to roll. in the situation above i would only ask for a roll if i wanted the potential of things blowing out for them. i would give them boost dice and or downgrade the difficulty because of the triviality of the negotiation. if despair was rolled the consequences wouldn't be dire because the matter at hand wasn't crucial to either party. 

I am 2/3rds my way though the second episode on this adventure pack with a fresh group of 6. (also its worth noting its been forever since I have ran a game of my own, especially a narrative based game such as this)

My inital impressions with the writing of the module are mostly positive, although the formating is awkward. Often in the module I find the module leads you to jump back and forth quite a bit more than normal often over several pages with unrelated material wedged in between. Having a new set of players, all familiar with RPG's but some not used to the freedom of narrative play things went well.

We have a clear face player who took the initative to dig though the NPC's of the Wheel's hanger bays, spending a triumph to get in good(flirting ftw) with a dock manager and let the interaction wait for payout. I baited in two other PC's who are both playing variations of big game hunters to full commit due to the hope of traveling to Cholganna for Nexu spoils. The others I am trying to work in more but they seem happy with the adventure thus far.

My party largely stayed focused on getting supplies and getting the ship ready, none of them had emphasised information collection skills such as computers or streetwise to make use of the intel charts, which is something I felt obliged to facilitate due to it being a green party with only starting exp to work with. They were curious enough to investigate why IT3-P0 was late and walked out just in time to see the Yiyar clan disable the droid and start dragging him away. They handled the recommended Yiyar clan opposition fairly quickly and with enough teamwork to make me feel comfortable rewarding them by cashing in the favor gained from the face's flirting to influence the Wheel's security folks to hold the Yiyar clan and let the party leave unquestioned. Nearly no one took a focus on astrogation either, so I let the party program the hyperdrive by committee, which proved to be as hilarious as the backseat driving on the chain of abundant neutral piloting space rolls with advantage.

I attempted to use the Fear mechanic for the jungle romp, but everyone passed like a champ. Oh well next time.

Reading ahead I was itching to use the Arborial Octopus, mostly because I think they are the funnest ambush critter ive seen in an RPG, and I am a fan of cephlopods(not THAT kinda of "fan" just sayin'). Since hunting/capturing the nexu was such a motivating factor for the Big game hunters I let that dwell until searching the main crash hull, instead springing the AOctopi after returning from the Besh escape pod encounter. I almost lost my poker face when the party asked if it appeared if there was anything dangerous in the water pond near the escape pod. The AOctopi(used 2 since I still have a problem judging encounter strength) fight went well, One player triumphed on a vigilence roll, alerting one player to avoid getting grabbed which threated itself into falling from its tree. Another player(our doctor) got mauled pretty good but redeemed himself by finishing off his new noodly friend. The grounded AO went down after a valiant fight, causing a dropped weapon and inspired quite a bit of team work to capture it alive.

The stripped ship could of been more engaging honestly, so I chose to spring the Nexu on them inside the hulk. Clever dramatic use of big game hunter traps and insight in to Nexu prey selection finally let to someone to use themselves as bait to lure the nexu into the electrosnare ambush. The Cybernexu ambush I chose to forshadow by a change in the pattern of nexu tracks near the hulk on the way to the emcampment, namely a beaten path of seemingly programmed/robotic patrol routes. I almost managed to drag away with two party members from the flanks but good teamwork once again was rewarded with a stunned standard nexu and disabled cybernexu. We called it before going to the encampment due to time,