kinnison

Beyond the Rim, thoughts (Obvious spoilers)

Still preparing for this adventure, just curious....so what does Reom have the PCs take IT-3PO?   I understand how he plays into the overall plot (homing beacon, etc) but I wanted to give the PC a bit more reason to trust/take IT-3PO other than the boss said so...

Yeah, that's a weak point. The main argument was that he used to know the captain and some crew members, so might help in the search. That seemed to convince my PCs, although they still treated him as a "boss pays, boss wants, we oblige to be paid" thing.

I am not sure how well this would suit in this campaign, but it seems like one problem is that the players aren't going to spend time investigating while on the wheel.

Since that part may be skipped anyway, another reason IT-3P0 could be there is because the droid could be programmed with basic information (out-dated of course) of Cholganna

I was able to use Map of the cargo level in book for a Map of the Adventure. I blew it up and gave some names to places. I have yet to use it, but it seems like it will be good to have just as a reference point for players

I am not sure how well this would suit in this campaign, but it seems like one problem is that the players aren't going to spend time investigating while on the wheel.

Since that part may be skipped anyway, another reason IT-3P0 could be there is because the droid could be programmed with basic information (out-dated of course) of Cholganna

I'm wondering how critical he is to the overall plot. At the very least I'm thinking he might be worth swapping out for an Astromech droid instead. Would that break things too badly? Seems to me that the party will be more willing to shlep him around if he has the coordinates to the secret base already programmed in as well as a message for Harsol and Cratala in a holo-projector ready to go.

Jaime

He is important only because he acts as a safeguard for the PCs. The survivors usually kill all visitors and the droid stops the captain from doing so.

However, it can be easily decided that Harsol had decided to end with their isolation anyway, and the name Reom (or rather Ropok) is enough for him. Especially that the book somehow assumes that he doesn't kill the Rodians on the spot... 

He is important only because he acts as a safeguard for the PCs. The survivors usually kill all visitors and the droid stops the captain from doing so.

However, it can be easily decided that Harsol had decided to end with their isolation anyway, and the name Reom (or rather Ropok) is enough for him. Especially that the book somehow assumes that he doesn't kill the Rodians on the spot... 

As much as I like the idea of the chase at the beginning to retake the droid, it seems a bit contrived...

I'm thinking I prefer the Rodians kidnapping Shira instead, especially since I am thinking of setting her up in a romantic relationship with one of the PCs. 

I need to map this out some more.

Yes, good idea about Shira - in my version she actually called for PCs help. But in the hindsight I'd have changed it like this: Shira was returning from Raxus with a vital part of the probe - a key code required to finally decode the destination or something like that. Or perhaps the droid would have that data.

Last night we finished episode 2. It was frustrating for the players, but I think fun. They got to the camp and started negotiating, but in the end they spent too much time doing nothing, thus giving the initative to the Rodians. The Rodians managed to learn about the hidden treasure in the HQ - some disgruntled survivors decided to betray the captain for the promise of leaving the planet. Then, at night the Rodians raided the stash, sabotaged the gates and killed Reevos at the river. In the morning while there was a debate what to do - the Imperials arrived. Agent Ossnan offered to help the surivors return to the galaxy if they gave Cratala and her research.

After some failed attempts on breaking the siege (the group's pilot was absent) and some other stuff, eventually the Imps got Cratala and left. The PCs took Harsol onboard and left to Raxus Prime - with a promise of sending a starship for the rest of the survivors...

Well the important fact I should state here that WARNING IF YOU HAPPEN TO BE MY PLAYER STOP READING OR YOU'LL SPOIL THE FUN! one of the PCs is an Imperial agent (blackmailed to help). So he was doing his best to get Cratala to the Imps, and he succeeded. 

My advice on this part? It turned out that piloting speeders in the jungle (Red-Purple-purple-black-black) isn't that easy :) I know there are only 10 troopers, but take note that they're harder to kill than regular ones. I'd add a secret exit from the camp - via an underground river, something difficult but doable. It was a good idea to have the Rodians in the camp - they were even willing to cooperate with the PCs, but the PC wookie kept calling them 'slave hunters' and generally displayed hostility. 

This part really depends on the PCs personalities and goals. 

I had similar misgivings that's why I put the Rodians already in the survivor's camp - the PCs felt they couldn't start a firefight in there. If I had put the Rodians in the jungle (as the book suggests at one point),there would have been a shootout for sure.

So how did it go?  I am running in a couple of weeks, and have read the scenario and I am now going back through each Act to prepare in detail.   For the first Ac1 I am a little confused on how the Investigation should run.  

I like the Streetwise, Computer and Knowledge (Underworld) Charts, but I am confused a bit working through the implementation in the individual scenes.

Given how the PC act, how do I choose which chart to roll against? 

From a Skill Check Perspective 
Streetwise, I think I can understand using this skill. The core rule book says that this skill can be used when it is needed to deal with criminals or underworld characters. Sure you have to know how to talk the talk to get the information. You have to be Streetwise to get information out of the bartender. But I guess you could also roll against the Knowledge (Underworld) , right?

Computer Check: Again, makes sense. I am logging into some computer for information. 

Here is the confusing one: Knowledge (Underworld). I read the core rule book, and the knowledge skills are about what the character knows. So how does this apply or differ from Streetwise Check? To me, this should be the knowledge of the NPC in which the PC are talking too right?

For Example, lets look at the encounter in the Blasted Asteroid Cantina with Waroon Dak?

First you convince him to talk (Charm or Coerce) and then you negotiate a fee (Negotiate Check) and then you ask questions for the fee. But which questions and chart do you use – Streetwise or Knowledge (Underground) as they both provide different information. Assuming the GM (or Player??) chooses Knowledge (Underground) A character has to roll a knowledge check against Average Difficulty (If he is talking to Waroon, he has already succeeded) so it is a mater of counting Advantages (if any) , but what to stop the character from choosing Streetwise Check?

Maybe I am overthinking a bit….

So am I. Granted that the PCs do investigate: When do I use which skill and with which stats????

I'm preparing to run this as our group's first foray into Edge of the Empire and wonder if more experienced GMs might offer me an opinion about something. The book says the adventure is designed for starting characters or for those who only have "a short adventure or two" under their belts.

Which made me wonder if I should run them through, say, "Debts to Pay" from the GM's kit to let them accumulate a few experience points before diving into Beyond the Rim. All of us are experienced gamers, but none of us have played Edge of the Empire yet, if that makes any difference.

I've glanced over the adventure myself and only a few encounters appear to be super deadly at a glance (I'm looking at you cyber nexu and arboreal octopus). Running another adventure first is a good idea. Not because it will give the characters some experience to play with, but it will get the players used to the system.

So, if I were to run a short adventure before Beyond the Rim, and wanted to use an official published one, my options are these, correct?

• "Trouble Brewing" (Chapter XIII of the Core Rulebook)
  • "Debts to Pay" (included in the Game Master's Kit)
  • Under a Black Sun (Free RPG Day adventure downloadable from the FFG website)

Any thoughts on which one might make the best introduction for four players? They're dragging their feet a bit on character creation and group integration, so unfortunately I'm not going to have time to pick based on that (I take a long time to prepare adventures). The only character locked in is a hotshot Twi'lek smuggler:pilot with daddy issues.

Having done all of these and about to finish "The Rim" I'd recommend doing 'Trouble Brewing' first, then "Debts" and "Black Sun" at the end, since the bounty hunter might be a bit tough, especially if he expects the PCs.

Having done all of these and about to finish "The Rim" I'd recommend doing 'Trouble Brewing' first, then "Debts" and "Black Sun" at the end, since the bounty hunter might be a bit tough, especially if he expects the PCs.

Thanks! Are you saying you'd recommend doing all three of the shorter ones before starting Beyond the Rim?

Well it all depends how much xp you want the PCs have when you start the Rim. My had about 180 total (including the free 100xp or so) so I had to boost almost all opposition in the book. On the other hand, some encounters seem too difficult for complete newbies.

So, If you want to run the Rim as it is (opposition-wise, of course) I'd recommend about 40xp, so they have a skill above 2 and perhaps some better equipment. I give on average about 15 per session, and all the adventures you mentioned took us one evening each (about 5-6 hours). 

If you're new to the game, and your players are, I'd recommend doing all 3 adventures anyway, just to learn the ropes so you can enjoy the Rim more. Oh and you could start using the Wheel earlier and introduce Reom as PCs contact/friend/fixer as soon as possible, so they have a reason later to work for him on Sa Nalaor case.

Ok fellow GMs, we finished the Rim last night. I ran it more or less as written, but shortened the encounter with the Yiyar clan. Only two PCs decided to stay in the corvette, the other 3 ran away in their ship, which couldn't do much against the patrol crafts. During the space combat, the Bandit got hit in the engines (crit), which lowered its speed to 1, thus adding the number the rounds needed to reach the jump point. It got destroyed, but as the last effort the party droid engaged the hyperdrive (while still to close to the planet) and the ship jumped to Iso-one, but arrived in pieces - very cinematic ;)

Overall, contrary to my expectations, the players liked the adventure. My main recommendation: two patrol craft with Tie support are deadly. Especially if using gunner stats as the book suggests (p78). Each patrol craft shot only once per round (I know how many turrets they have...), usually hitting the bandit (granted, it wasn't doing evasive manvs). 5 rounds is a lot of time to trash the ship... 

In the hindsight I'd give the player's ship some juryrigged torpedoes or mines so they could try to actually harm the ships and feel useful. 

I was just running the first half of it this weekend (we ended when the players arrived at the Retreat) and one thing struck me about exploring the main hull: there was a hatch and a ladder leading down to something called "sunken cavern", but there's no entry for such a location in the book that I can see. Am I missing something here, or was this an oversight on the writers' part?

We played

- Escape from Mos Shuuta

- Debts to pay

- and are about finishing "Trouble Brewing"

So I gonna twist the end of Trouble Brewing and try my party not to kill Bandian in the end. The astromech got scrambled informations that will be used to decode the message pod in the Outer Rim adventure. So Reom will get the correct coordinates (the last vector of the Sa Nalaor). Bandins job is to send people to Reom with this code to explore Cholganna. The Rodians in Trouble Brewing are not the good ones, they belong to the Yiyar Clan and were after the code in the head of the astromech (so the girl in the cantina tried to buy the droids information and Bandins people just wanted to find out what was going on with her :) ). My party will learn, that they killed the good guys on Formos what will lead to some additional obligations  ;) A and the Kessel administrator sat the bounty to gain access to the astromech. Everything fits!

So I'm thinking about to replace the IT-3PO protocol droid by the astromech and let the party being directly attacked. But 2 Droids within the story will also do it. 

On the wheel one thing is not very clear: From where do the rodians know the coordinates of the Sa Nalaor? In the timeline it says that they will break into Reom's office but will not find the message pod. And in the end of the ecounter they will escape after successfully kidnapping IT-3PO and jump to Cholganna. Does IT-3PO got the coordinates? Or did I miss something while reading?

cu

Gargi