Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ReaverRandall

Lambda Shuttle is Kind of meh

35 posts in this topic

the actual miniature itself is a bit of a disappointment to me. i'm a rabid supporter and player of the game, but the shuttle just seems... off..

the wings don't move very well and it has a boring paint job and feels like it was rushed.

feel like the shuttle is just missing something, like it could have been better.

maybe it's just because i've been using the hallmark ornament for so long.

on the upside i am liking the moldy crow and the b-wing. tie-bomber is cool too.

Edited by ReaverRandall

the actual miniature itself is a bit of a disappointment to me. i'm a rabid supporter and player of the game, but the shuttle just seems... off..

the wings don't move very well and it has a boring paint job and feels like it was rushed.

feel like the shuttle is just missing something, like it could have been better.

maybe it's just because i've been using the hallmark ornament for so long.

on the upside i am liking the moldy crow and the b-wing. tie-bomber is cool too.

"You think you hate it now, wait til you drive it."

Buhallin likes this

I think the model is good.  The wings seem like they might not come down quite as far as they should, but they aren't off by much.  I don't think you can really blame the paint job on FFG - the canon Lambda has a pretty boring paint job to begin with.  I do think it's not quite as good as the other ships, but again that has to do with the design itself - all the large, flat plates on the shuttle don't mesh well with the wash method of painting.

And on the table...  bleargh.  I've tried it a few times, and really don't like it at all.  The short range of the support abilities are VERY hard to use with something that maneuvers so badly, and the combination of large base and bad dial make it a beast to actually fight with.  Some genius may find a touch for it, but I think that even with the relatively low cost it's not going to be a strong ship.

Look at it this way - if you're into customizing/pimping your ships, it gives you a nice big flat surface to work with...
Give it a Warthog mouth on the nose, or paint some gundarks or something on the tail fin, and maybe nobody will notice it crashing into things.   :ph34r:

If you are rich, try this list:

3x Omicron with Advanced Sensors

1x Captain Yorr with Advanced Sensors

bank 2 ships into a tight square formation that stalls until the enemy arrives. Manage your stress well with Yorr so he can take action when the combat starts and almost always profit with all 4 ships from focus boosted shots even if bumping on yourself or making a full stop.

If you want to turn slightly to address flankers, move 1 fwd with a ship in front and volontarily bump into it with a shuttle from the back. The sensors will still give you a focus or lock, and you'll have more options in terms of angles of turning. You also prepare for your inevitable formation breakout. You also have 40 hp and can manage a slow rotation through the map. The goal is to have enough ships moving here and there to cover most angles and at least be firing against something.

Edited by Mu0n

And on the table...  bleargh.  I've tried it a few times, and really don't like it at all.  The short range of the support abilities are VERY hard to use with something that maneuvers so badly, and the combination of large base and bad dial make it a beast to actually fight with.  Some genius may find a touch for it, but I think that even with the relatively low cost it's not going to be a strong ship.

I am an almost Mensa level genius. I figured out something to do with it despite its TERRIBLE dial and it even benefits from it.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-VoUEi9AbpPTkszUV9nTF9OU2M/edit?usp=sharing

That list, if you don't want to download it is:

Col Jendon

Advanced Sensors

Heavy Laser Cannon

Weapons Engineer

ST-321

Captain Yor

Fire Control System

Heavy Laser Cannon

Omicron Group Pilot

Ion Cannon

Battle Strategy:

Omicron Group pilot moves 0 as a red maneuver. Yor is behind him and takes the stress token from the OGP and the OGP does a focus.

Yor moves forward 1 green to shed the stress and runs into the back of OGP.

Jendon does adv sensors and weapons engineer and ST-321 to pick up 2 target locks from anywhere on the table and then proptly runs into the back of OGP. 

Now all the pilots should be facing the same way if possible. Jendon gives Yor a target lock and OGP has his Focus. OGP ion's whatever in front of him to set up the shots for Jendon and Yor. 

Next turn:

OGP does 0 maneuver and does focus. Yor takes the stress and moves 1 forward green to de-stress and runs into the back of OGP which hasn't moved. His previous round of fire might still have the TL on the Ioned person. Jendon does advanced sensors and gets two target locks for his shot and the OGP gets one of the target locks. 

Rinse and repeat. The formation doesn't move. 2 heavy laser cannons, an ion cannon, and actions for everyone!

born to lose likes this

bank 2 ships into a tight square formation that stalls until the enemy arrives. Manage your stress well with Yorr so he can take action when the combat starts and almost always profit with all 4 ships from focus boosted shots even if bumping on yourself or making a full stop.

If you want to turn slightly to address flankers, move 1 fwd with a ship in front and volontarily bump into it with a shuttle from the back. The sensors will still give you a focus or lock, and you'll have more options in terms of angles of turning. You also prepare for your inevitable formation breakout. You also have 40 hp and can manage a slow rotation through the map. The goal is to have enough ships moving here and there to cover most angles and at least be firing against something.

40 HP is no joke to eat through.  This list destroyed me last night.  Mu0n did a great job of breaking off some ships and have them come back around to protect the flanks of the other shuttles.  I was able to get behind him, but I just couldn't land enough damage fast enough, by the end he had 3 ships with 21 HPs left compared to my 2 with only 5.  

Edited by mrfroggies

i just received confirmation of my ships being shipped..........that sounded stupid, but there i said it.

well anyway,

i am looking forward to using my shuttle,

i have not been playing this game for long but have noticed that this game is not built like others i have played

it requires a bit more strategy and understanding your move dial

like in 40k, i can plop my ork biker boys on the table (i feild 4 units of 12 biker boys and a unit of biker nobs, using the forgeworld biker boss who allows me to take bikerboys as troops - for those of you wondering and know what im talking about) and i just hammer the other player.

xwing is all about strategy and i love that

i will use something until i find a way to make it work.

that will be the frustrating enjoyment i will get from my shuttle.

Edited by KILODEN

I still like the (4x) Omicron Pilot w/ anti-pursuit lasers and fire control.

I agree the Lambda is rather meh next to the Hallmark one.  They do not even play the Imperial March.  I plan to dirty them up a bit and a few miscolored panels.

I used my Lambda to acquire target locks for a bomber and tie adv. so they could focus on the first round of firing.  It did some numbers on the rebels.  Don't dis the shuttle because it doesn't have the dexterity of the nimble fighters.  It is a shuttle, think of it as a space bus.  for a space bus, it can do quite a bit.  It's going to awesome in large games.  

I agree the Lambda is rather meh next to the Hallmark one.  They do not even play the Imperial March.  I plan to dirty them up a bit and a few miscolored panels.

On the one hand I think, "How can you line up a shot with the shuttle on the same target? Fire-Control System seems like a sub-optimal choice."

On the other hand I can see where it might be helpful on the initial pass, and it's never a raw deal getting a free action/token for 2 points.

Any other ideas on what to equip 4 Lambdas with? Maybe some Saboteurs?

I agree that this is hard ship to master. I also think that not many players will decide to play with 4 Lambdas but I'm pretty sure that almost everyone will buy at least one model. I remember how many players used to play with one Firespray and four Ties (in my parts of world it was pretty common) and how much fun it was. So I'm curious how can we effectively use only one model and with what ships?

Yeah that's a disgusting list i also was thinking about. No movement still huge firepower and 40 hitpoints. I predict that no one will buy 4 shuttles until the first guy wins a tournament with this. And only then people will realize the shuttles are undercosted. Well i will still not buy 4 of them i just think this will be a very strong list.

Yay that was my list i posted some time ago XD but i think the one with Yorr is better!

I got mine yesterday.  The first thing I noticed was that the wings do not come down all the way.  I didn't want to try and push them further on risk of breaking them.  Other than that, the cards make this thing look like it is a moving pillbox.  Should be interesting to play.

I agree with the thread title. I have streaks on the paint job. As a miniature painter myself, I understand that white is hard to get a nice solid color on. HOWEVER, I'm not a professional, and I assume they would have access to better paints than I would. It looks basically like what I would have accomplished with my cheap white bought at a big box store. 

It just doesn't look as nice as all the other star wars models... hence, I agree. the Lambda looks kinda meh.

and my wings also don't fold down all the way...

Enigma5915 likes this

Hmm, in a tournament if you were flying a 100pt squad against the four Shuttle squad above, and the shuttle squad did the above maneuvers, why bother attacking, you'll win by default since that squad is at 99 points. Take the modified victory and move on. 

Hmm, in a tournament if you were flying a 100pt squad against the four Shuttle squad above, and the shuttle squad did the above maneuvers, why bother attacking, you'll win by default since that squad is at 99 points. Take the modified victory and move on. 

if there is a draw, the side with initiative wins. 

the side with lesser overall points always gets initiative.

The "Space Station" squad can use the Red 0's because Yorr absorbs stress tokens. If you have Yorr in back of an Omicron doing Green 1's and basically taking the stress of the 0 Omicron every turn this works :)

Although, with the strategies listed above, I think Yorr becomes the initial target. Attack from the flanks, kill Yorr, and it breaks up the stall chain.