Sign in to follow this  
GrimacesGhost

Asteroid Pursuit Timing Question

I know this objective is not well received but I was trying it out in an Imperial Capital Ship build yesterday.  An interesting timing question presented itself and I didn't know how to answer it.  I searched this forum and didn't find anything relevant.  

This is my first post btw so if I missed something that addressed this earlier I'm sorry!

Asteroid Pursuit says:  "Forced Reaction: After you refresh, damage this objective"

My question is when this objective finally receives 6 damage and is destroyed by it's forced reaction, can you then replace it with another objective on that turn?

Refresh Phase from the core rule books states:

Refresh phase begins.

Active player removes one focus 

token from each card he controls.

Active player removes all shield 
tokens from each card he controls.

Active player replaces each of his 
missing objectives.

Refresh phase ends.

What is unclear to me is the phrase "after you refresh".  Does that mean after the refresh phase ends, in which case you would have missed your opportunity to replace the objective, or does it mean after you refresh the objective, removing a focus token from it.  It would then be destroyed and another objective would then come into play under the above break down of the "refresh phase".

Thanks for reading this and offering your insight.

No.  All "After you refresh" effects happen after Step 3 - Replace Objectives in the refresh phase and prior to the action window that follows according to the FAQ.  when this objective dies "After you refresh", you do not get to replace it until the next turn.  Ill update with the pertinent line from the FAQ in a few.

EDIT: From the FAQ

Core Rulebook
Refresh Phase (p. 12)
The parenthetical text after step 1, which reads, “...(Any
effect with the text “after you refresh” can be used after
completing this step)” is misplaced.
“After you refresh” effects should be initiated after the
completion of step 3 of the refresh phase.

Pertinent Rulebook section

2. Refresh Phase
The active player takes the following steps in order:
1. He removes one focus token from each card in
his play area. (Any effect with the text “after you
refresh” can be used after completing this step.)
Exception: During his first turn only, the LS player
does not take this step of the refresh phase.
2. He removes all shield tokens from each card in
his play area.
3. If he has fewer than three current objective
cards, he replaces each missing objective card
by taking the top card of his objective deck and
putting it into play as a current objective card. If
the objective card just put into play has a “When this
card enters play ...” (or similar) effect, this effect is
immediately resolved.
If multiple objective cards need to be replaced, they
are put into play, resolving any “When this card
enters play” effects, one at a time.
After taking these steps, the active player proceeds to
the draw phase.

Edited by Hida77

The FAQ has clarified that "After you refresh" abilities happen after step 3 of the Refresh phase, which is after you've replaced missing objectives.

Ninja'd!

Edited by radiskull

The funny part is they still left the Erratas for the two shielding cards that were originally affected by this ruling, effectively nerfing to happen after the action window in the Refresh Phase instead of "after you refresh" as written. Just FYI all you Fleeing the Empire players! =P

Another important note is that this also means that if you reveal an objective which has a "after you refresh" reaction (Like "A Dark Time for the Rebellion") at step 3, you can immediately use it.  This can be extremely important.

Thanks Hida77.  That clears that up that for me!  I don't really think this objective is worth using.  Even if you were able to shield the objective, you could never prevent the damage from the force reaction because the shield token would fall off before the damage is dealt based on the above reading of the rule.  Card seems pretty useless but maybe I'm missing something.

Edited by GrimacesGhost

Thanks Hida77.  That clears that up that for me!  I don't really think this objective is worth using.  Even if you were able to shield the objective, you could never prevent the damage from the force reaction because the shield token would fall off before the damage is dealt based on the above reading of the rule.  Card seems pretty useless but maybe I'm missing something.

I agree 100%.  Its a bad set until they get some way to mitigate the damage or something, which may never happen.

I think it's quite ridiculous that still the objectives that give you shields are basically useless. Well, when I play at home I just house rule it as working like it should.

How do they not work, not only were they errata'd so was the phase in the first FAQ. Which was intentional by the way. They work fine.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3941

The document’s first section, “Card Errata,” addresses a situation in which the timing of “after you refresh” effects was preventing the newly placed shields created by a couple of card effects from persisting beyond the phase in which they were placed. Observant players will notice that we have addressed this issue on two levels. The first issue we noted was that the timing trigger of “after you refresh” had been defined too early in the rulebook (at the end of step one of the refresh phase), and we have therefore moved this trigger to a more natural place, after all three of the “refresh” steps have been completed. Additionally, we have also released errata on two cards, Fleeing the Empire (Core Set, 56) and Fleet Command Center (Core Set, 57), so that their effects now initiate at the end of the refresh phase. This was done to further remove these specific cards from the problematic “after you refresh” trigger.

I think it's quite ridiculous that still the objectives that give you shields are basically useless. Well, when I play at home I just house rule it as working like it should.

How do they not work, not only were they errata'd so was the phase in the first FAQ. Which was intentional by the way. They work fine.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3941

The document’s first section, “Card Errata,” addresses a situation in which the timing of “after you refresh” effects was preventing the newly placed shields created by a couple of card effects from persisting beyond the phase in which they were placed. Observant players will notice that we have addressed this issue on two levels. The first issue we noted was that the timing trigger of “after you refresh” had been defined too early in the rulebook (at the end of step one of the refresh phase), and we have therefore moved this trigger to a more natural place, after all three of the “refresh” steps have been completed. Additionally, we have also released errata on two cards, Fleeing the Empire (Core Set, 56) and Fleet Command Center (Core Set, 57), so that their effects now initiate at the end of the refresh phase. This was done to further remove these specific cards from the problematic “after you refresh” trigger.

Read Hida77's post incorrectly as I was pretty tired. My bad!