Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Garthnait

Some questions

36 posts in this topic

Question about sealing gates and removing monsters with same dimensionsymbol.

Does this count for monsters in the sky/outskirt?

When a flying monster appears and doesn't move in the turn it appears, does it fly to the sky or does it stay on the gate?

Hi!

Whenever you seal / close a gate, matching dimensional symbol monsters are removed from Arkham. This includes locations, street areas, the Sky and the Outskirts.

Flyers do move only when their dimensional symbol is shown on the monster movement box on the Mythos cards. So, if a Flyer appears and it's not instructed to move by the Mythos card, then it stays were it appeared. The whole Flyers movement (that can be somehow tricky) is detailed very well in the new FAQ, so, if you get a chance to download them, you'll find a lot more :)

Hope this helps!

JULIA

Garthnait likes this

When you start to get some of the expansions, Gate Bursts add a whole new level of treachery to the game...oh, and Flyers move during Gate Bursts, as well.  Good times!

Another question.

If a card let my investigator go back to Arkham from the OW, may I close the gate in the next phase? So does it count as I have investigated the OW?

Another question.

If a card let my investigator go back to Arkham from the OW, may I close the gate in the next phase? So does it count as I have investigated the OW?

I know this one!  Yes, being returned by a card or Find Gate spell still counts as having explored the portal, unless stated otherwise by the card.

If something says "return," then you get an explored token. If something says "move to the Black Cave," then you would go to the Black Cave and wouldn't receive an explored token (I can recall no more than one OW encounter that does something like this).

Yes, it's "you may". Point is that when you return to Arkham, you get a free pass for monsters guarding the gate that lasts only for the turn you return to Arkham. So, if there are monsters guarding the gate and you return during the Mythos, in the next Movement Phase, before being able to attempt to close / seal the gates, you have to deal with them. So, sometimes you could prefer simply enjoying the sunset over Leng and stay there, sipping cola.

Another question. Fighting an AO:

The rules say the group have to get as many successes as investigators starting the game to get rid of one Doomtoken. 

A group of 3 investigators:

Player A rolls 3 sucesses, Player B rolls 2 and Player C rolls 1. May I remove 2 Doomtokens?

What if Player A rolls 5 and Player B none and Player C 1?

Garrhnait,

Let me start by saying "Yes" to both of your propositions...now,

This question dates back to 2005...and we're still answering it.  If you're an RPGer, think of the total number of successes to defeat an AO as a set number of hit points = Highest Number on the Doom Track x # of Investigators.  Thus, an AO with a Doom Track of 10 in a game with four Investigators would require 40 successes.  If in any given turn, remove a Doom Token for every four successes and simply remember how many additional successes were scored but didn't remove a Doom Token.

Example...Yig in Final Combat with four Investigators.  The Investigators score nine successes...thus, remove two Doom Tokens (one for each four successes) with one more success.  I personally use the "1-3" counters to identify how many successes are required to remove the next Doom Token.  In the next round, the Investigators score six successes.  Immediately remove one Doom Token for the set of four successes and you have two remaining successes.  Adding those two successes to the previous round's one success, you have three of the required four successes to remove another Doom Token.

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by The Professor

Yes. It's just that the rules incredibly bad worded. You're not the first one to ask, and you won't be the last one. Basically, if you play with N investigators and M is the length of the doom track, you have to deal to the AO

successes = N*M

(unless the AO has some regenerative powers)

Garthnait, there is a suggested houserule (from Kevin Wilson) that is called clue-per-seal rule: you cannot spend more clue tokens to add dice to a combat check while in final battle than the number of seals on the board. This was done to avoid having people simply gearing up for war during the normal game.

Garthnait, there is a suggested houserule (from Kevin Wilson) that is called clue-per-seal rule: you cannot spend more clue tokens to add dice to a combat check while in final battle than the number of seals on the board. This was done to avoid having people simply gearing up for war during the normal game.

This rule sounds very good to me. I think we will use this in future games.

True...but go for the Sealing Gates...it's just safer.  In the immortal words of Indiana Jones, "Trust me!"

That is what we always try to do. ;) Or trying to close all gates on the table.

Again some questions:

1. When the combat with an AO starts, does it immediately start with his "at start of combat" ability or do I have the chance to trade items before?

I had the problem with Shub, the combat begins and 2 of my investigators gets devoured cause of missing monster trophies. But the items they had where useful for the other two.

2. If an investigator is moved to another location from an encounter, may I pick up the clue token on the new location?

3. Can i "pay" movement for items if I don't move? (Not OW or LiTaS)

Garthnait,

1. Each Turn begins with an Upkeep Phase, so you can definitely trade Items.

2.  Teschnically, it's wherever you stopped during the Movement Phase and an encounter would be during the Arkham Encounter Phase.  I, however, allow the Investigator to take the Clue token.

3.  Yes, you may absolutely "pay" the Movement cost even if you don't move your Investigator

1. The Start of Battle ability is resolved immediately, as soon as the Final Battle begins (core rules, pag 19, second column: "Immediately activate any Start of Battle abilities"). So, no way you can trade items before having some of your pals being devoured

2. Official answer: no. Clues may be picked up only during the movement phase or during the Mythos Phase in case the clue "appears" at a location with an investigator at. You can crosscheck this in the FAQ, pag 4. Still, I do play that yes, you can get clues even in the case you mentioned but if there are monsters in the new location you have to face them as well. It's a houserule, though

3. Not so sure I get the question. You can pay whatever you want if you have enough movement points to do it. Hope this answers your doubts

jackman51 likes this