Sign in to follow this  
Brucewayne

Cover and location.

Last Tuesday as we were playing through the beginner's game one of my players had a question regarding cover that I wasn't able to answer.  The group was spilt into two with one person behind the stormtroopers and the others in front.  The trooper was in cover and firing at the two in front of him.  We weren't sure if his cover bonus would apply to the person from behind him.  Logically, I wouldn't think it would, but the beginner's rule book didn't address this issue.

RAW, in cover is in cover (it is always assumed that, if you are taking cover, you just grant yourself a flat 1 Ranged Defense). I take this to mean that cinematic/narrative movement can actually happen at all times during the combat round. That trooper isn't planted in the 1.5 meter area in which he was in at the end of his turn; since his maneuver was to take cover, he is moving all around trying to get the best cover from the PC's ranged attacks. There is no LOS to be drawn, and it doesn't matter what corner of the NPC's square is closest to the PC's square. The map on the table is meant to be a helpful visual aid, not a tactical battle map to which everyone is adhered.

I wouldn't mess too much with game mechanics, since the tactics in this game are much more narrative than previous editions both in scope and in implementation. In other words, that is what Threat or Advantage rolled is for. Also, you could your PCs aim if they want to better their chances of success, or close in with melee weapons. Additionally, there are talents that allow you to remove Defense or Setback dice from checks; this kind of situation is what those talents are for.

Edited by awayputurwpn

Just because cover can apply at any time, doesn't mean it should.  I'd say take the sensible route.  If it makes sense to the group that a certain combatant or group wouldn't be able to take cover from another combantant or group of assailants ... that's all you need to worry about.

You can't sensibly grant cover to people standing in a perfectly cubic docking bay with smooth floor, walls, cieling, and no clutter or obstructions.  Relying on "well it says here that I can spend a maneuver to take cover" defeats the whole purpose of cinematic combat.  Trying to figure out from the description given or the visual aids present ... just what the heck your options are from round to round is what makes combat more fun that "I take cover, I spend 2 strain to aim, I fire...I hit...I deal damage...."

I'd base the choice on the narrative. For example below I've diagramed out a NPC taking cover behind a flipped table.

NPC1

=====

PC

NPC2

I would grant the PC "cover" against NPC1, but would not grant "cover" against NPC2 because the narrative describes a table flipped on it's side. We know that doesn't apply to both sides of a character because we've all seen a flipped table.

Now, if the PC defeated NPC1 and wanted to move to the other side of the table I would then grant the cover bonus against NPC2.

If the narrative were something a bit more vague I might grant cover from both NPCs. Say a bunch of rocks or the like.

In regards to the OP, I would want to make sure that the PC making an effort to be tactical was given his due; to do otherwise would discourage players from doing cool stuff like flanking an enemy because what's the point? Flanking an enemy in cover should be satisfying and rewarding. Allowing a vague rule or lack of rule set to hinder that experience is short changing your PCs.

I agree with Dbuntu, if it makes sense in the narrative, I'd give the player the benefit of the doubt. 

It's obviously a strong tactical move to flank a covered enemy, so I'd grant the player the shot without cover if they made the choice to maneuver into that position.