Sign in to follow this  
FangGrip

Map from Beyond the Rim

Is anyone else puzzled by the map included in Beyond the Rim?

It seems to have coordinates that don't correspond to the map in the Core Rules.  Not only that, but it doesn't have any legends, distances, or frankly anything that actually helps a game.  I can't even tell if the locations are star systems or individual locations (i.e. planets).

Did I miss a legend or a discussion of the map somewhere in that book?  It seems almost to simply be intended as artwork.

The book does say that the map is heavily abstracted (it's in the top right corner of that same page).  That being the case, I think it was a mistake to throw grid coordinates onto it, because they don't map up to things at all.

Here are actual locations for the places in the adventure that DO match up to the map in the Core Rulebook:

The Wheel: R-7

Cholganna: T-5

Raxus Prime: S-5

(The other planets are just meant to represent other planets in the same system as Cholganna and Raxus Prime, and appear to be new as of this book.)

Hope that helps!

Yea. that astrogation map is next to worthless.    in fact that is the one complaint about the adventure is the lack of useful maps to aid the GM.  Nothing more then a simple and rather pointless map of the "Hanger" on the wheel.  A really nice map of the crash site, but no detail on the base.  The final map is the only one that is really is any good out of the whole adventure.

because the game isn't a d20 game that uses a grid? so why go through the extra expense? this game isn't really meant to play with a grid, and an abstract map should be enough to say "this is short range here, this is medium". 

In fact. the game doesn't even include a "if you'd like to use a grid" section. there's just no grid here. at all. so why would they bother incurring and passing on extra costs for an unnecessary thing? 

I am a big fan of the abstracted ranges, so I don't need a gridded map. I'd simply be happy with digital versions of them – I have the print copy, but would like to run the game online through Roll20. Scanning the maps from my book isn't the best option. Any suggestions?

Asking "why are the grid maps not included" for this is like buying a backgammon set and asking why it doesnt include rules for chinese checkers. It's not chinese checkers, it's backgammon, that's why. This isn't a tactical game, that's why.

There are more uses to maps in adventures than for grid tactical play.

I have been using maps in adventures for years, since the 80's, in such games like DragonQuest, RedBox DnD, AD&D 1st and 2nd Edition, Call of Cthullu, Warhammer FRP, Pendragon, WEG StarWars, and many others, almost all played without tactical grids.

A mark of an excellent adventure is also the quality of player handouts. Amongst them, maps. This is one of the reasons "The Enemy Within" for WFRP 1st edition or the "Masks of Nyarlathotep" for Call of Cthullu are still considered today hallmarks of adventure design.

Edited by OB-1