Sign in to follow this  
mrvander

BBY and ABY why oh why?

It's used as an in-setting reference because it was introduced as the new year system after the New Republic took over.

4oL8P.png

So it is actually the dating system used.

So further proof of it being "in-universe" and non-sensical. Why would the New Republic establish a new dating system just resynchronized decades earlier? That would do nothing but throw current economics into disarray and cause chaos. It's not sensible for the New republic to do such a thing, entirely sensible for Palpatine to do so however.

And the argument still stands, why the Battle of Yavin, it does not hold that kind of galactic relevance. Why is it more important than any other battle that has taken place or will take place? This is sloppy ret-conning by Star Wars publishers or the "keepers of the canon" and just plain silly. Will we reset the ABY and BBY after episode 7 and we see what big events transpire then? Just silly.

Just because you think it's non-sensical, doesn't mean it wasn't something that could happen. Real history is rife with illogical things that cultures and governments have done.

The evil Empire reset the dating system due to it's master's egotism. The Empire didn't last long. The New Republic apparently didn't wish to reset back to the dating system of the Old Republic (that was corrupted and fathered the Empire). What is so illogical about the New Republic leaders sitting around a table and deciding on the date of a famous battle that got the Alliance that formed the New Republic going? Again, even if you think their decision is stupid or illogical, see my first paragraph above.

Eta: Some real examples of calendars with a year 0 based on something possibly even less pivotal then a battle that allowed the formation of the current government:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyrian_calendar A temple was built.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijri_year Religious leaders changed their zip code.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrian_calendar Each time a new king was in charge.

Edited by Sturn

So, just to be clear, if I'm starting my game in 4 BBY, what is the in-game/universe response to "What year is it?" considering that the BBY/ABY calendar doesn't come to be for another 29 years?

There's several canon options, take your pick.  (But be prepared to tell you *players* that you mean 4BBY, so they have some idea of when you're talking about.)

So you agree then, it is silly! Thanks for providing real world examples of said silliness!

And so you now agree that since there are realword examples of silly year 0's, it's not such an unrealistic thing to have a year 0 based on a pivotal battle in the Star Wars universe? We're all good apparently and can move on to the next topic. Glad we got that straight.

So you agree then, it is silly! Thanks for providing real world examples of said silliness!

And so you now agree that since there are realword examples of silly year 0's, it's not such an unrealistic thing to have a year 0 based on a pivotal battle in the Star Wars universe? We're all good apparently and can move on to the next topic. Glad we got that straight.

I get the sense you are arguing for ABY/BBY? Strange way to go about it by providing solid examples of the silliness - it doesn't make the retconning of ABY/BBY any LESS silly because there are real world examples to back it up! And it doesn't certainly argue for FFG missing an opportunity to do something that just makes sense.

Even if it was "after death" as so many wrongly believe, that's not a single battle in a war is it? It's a significant event to those who had the power to write history (the Catholic church) that took hold over most of known civilization at the time. The Battle of Yavin by comparison does not hold that same relevance. You're on the right track though with the Ruusan reformations, read my second post above....

Actually Jesus was born about 4 BC. Just saying.

Its a little late to change the BBY/ABY thing but its still an interesting topic so argue on.

Why not make it ABE/BBE with the battle of Endor and the death of the Emporer and thus the Empire?

Nope, BBY and ABY are simply silly - does Star Trek use some silly arbitrary date specially for the audience? No, it's consistent inside the universe and its fans understand the dates in reference to that and the fiction's events.

Actually Star Trek did change its dating system when TNG aired. In the Original Series it went like this:

Today's date in our calander in September 14, 2013. In the TOS series it was yearmonth.date so you got 1309.14. Basically 2000 became year zero. I have no idea how the newer system works. The Trek people who wrote for TNG, DS9, VOY, all the movies (including the new ones) just switched without making a big deal about it. It was like they never used the old system. They have a book out explaining it. Can't remember the title though.

Nope, BBY and ABY are simply silly - does Star Trek use some silly arbitrary date specially for the audience? No, it's consistent inside the universe and its fans understand the dates in reference to that and the fiction's events.

Actually Star Trek did change its dating system when TNG aired. In the Original Series it went like this:

Today's date in our calander in September 14, 2013. In the TOS series it was yearmonth.date so you got 1309.14. Basically 2000 became year zero. I have no idea how the newer system works. The Trek people who wrote for TNG, DS9, VOY, all the movies (including the new ones) just switched without making a big deal about it. It was like they never used the old system. They have a book out explaining it. Can't remember the title though.

And that is exactly the opportunity I feel FFG missed. They could have changed it so something less silly just as you point out Trek had. No fuss, no muss.

Not trying to belittle the topic here, but my players and I could care less what the actual year is called "in game" by the characters because it has no bearing or importance in the campaign.

I refer to the players saying that the year is 3 BBY because that gives them a frame of reference. In game what the characters would call the year is irrelevant. Any other in game references are usually stated as "10 years ago" for example, so it really just doesn't come up.

Edited by BrashFink

Not trying to belittle the topic here, but my players and I could care less what the actual year is called "in game" by the characters because it has no bearing or importance in the campaign.

I refer to the players saying that the year is 3 BBY because that gives them a frame of reference. In game what the characters would call the year is irrelevant. Any other in game references are usually stated as "10 years ago" for example, so it really just doesn't come up.

Well, if it doesn't matter to you or your players, why'd you post here?

(j/k - post away!) :P

I get the sense you are arguing for ABY/BBY? Strange way to go about it by providing solid examples of the silliness - it doesn't make the retconning of ABY/BBY any LESS silly because there are real world examples to back it up! And it doesn't certainly argue for FFG missing an opportunity to do something that just makes sense.

Arbitrary?  Yes.

Silly?  In comparison to what?  There are *dozens* (probably hundreds) of examples of this sort of arbitrary calendar reset just in a few hundred years of the history of medieval Europe.  That's ignoring the rest of the world, and their various and sundry calendar systems with their multitude of arbitrary 'day-zero' decisions.  How is it 'silly' that the Star Wars universe has a handful of similar incidents in it's 50k+year fictional history, when we have many *more* in a tiny fraction of that time?

Edited by Voice

Nah - "silly" is just my opinion. You can't argue it - all you can do is state yours!

Hey, I can argue anything I want! I can argue that your opinion is not an opinion but rather a fork. It would be a poor argument...and I would be unlikely to change anyone's opinion...but I could still argue it :) That is why I enjoy the word "arguably" so much. "The film The Phantom Menace is arguably the best in the Star Wars franchise." :-D sorry, just being ornery.

Well, if it doesn't matter to you or your players, why'd you post here?

To give insight to people that perhaps using a "Canon year" is not important.
Well, in vander's defense, he did state that he was kidding. Also, for many Star Wars geeks it's nice knowing the in-universe year. Just because one gaming group doesn't care doesn't mean that another wouldn't care. Myself, I love all the in-universe stuff and any info I gave my players would be as immersive as possible in that regard, but my players could all care less what year it actually is. Whatever helps gaming groups have the most fun is what's actually important.

Arguably.

I've never actually heard a character say it in dialogue in a movie, game, or book...so, I'd consider it barely canon.  It obviously is more helpful to the audience, and doesn't have much application in-game/in-universe

Why are we still talking about this? I mean, it's cool and all I was able to start a thread that has broken the 50 post/1000 view mark, but even I, the OP, am tired of the topic! :)

Edited by mrvander

I was always under the impression that ABY/BBY was used as year 0 because the Battle of Yavin was the Rebel Alliance's first victory against the Empire. Before that they were mostly a nuisance, but the destruction of the Death Star showed that they were actually capable of achieving their stated goal.

That may just be due to my lack of EU knowledge though...

Actually, the first Rebel Alliance victory took place just before the capture of the Tantive IV. "It is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire."

One of my favorite opening lines ever. 

The Battle of Yavin, though, was definitely the defining moment in the war; as you say, it showed that they were actually capable.