Sign in to follow this  
Rookhelm

Got my "Beyond the Rim" in the mail yesterday

Picked mine up from Dragon's Lair the other day. I've read it up through the start of Episode II, really enjoying it so far. I think it will be fun to play!

I think the descriptions and text is well written, and it's reminded me of the value of using ALL the senses when I'm narrating what the players are experiencing--remind them of the smells, the sights, the sounds and the weather conditions where they are.

If they're on Tatooine, make a point of describing the suns beating down on their heads, or the gritty feel of the sand as it blows through the wind. If they're in a jungle, describe the sounds of the birds and insects in the distance, or the damp moisture in the air that coats their clothes and skin!

Looking forward to running it for players!

Picked mine up from Dragon's Lair the other day. I've read it up through the start of Episode II, really enjoying it so far. I think it will be fun to play!

I think the descriptions and text is well written, and it's reminded me of the value of using ALL the senses when I'm narrating what the players are experiencing--remind them of the smells, the sights, the sounds and the weather conditions where they are.

If they're on Tatooine, make a point of describing the suns beating down on their heads, or the gritty feel of the sand as it blows through the wind. If they're in a jungle, describe the sounds of the birds and insects in the distance, or the damp moisture in the air that coats their clothes and skin!

Looking forward to running it for players!

Th'ats some really good advice.  I know how I, myself, might picture it in my head if I'm GMing...but odds are the players are not picturing the same thing unless you go into detail

Just picked mine up.

Really impressed with the way this was done, it's just as good as the excellent adventures in WHFRP3.

Not too linear and plenty for the players to do.

I really liked the feeling and atmosphere, and the inclusion of one of my favourite races as an important NPC.

Finally, I really appreciated it involved exploration and going to the distant edge of the galaxy. After all the underwhelming published adventures I've seen thus far, I'll be happy if I never see a Hutt or a bounty hunter in an EoE game again.

What's the impression on Beyond the Rim's approach to 'failing forward', as in providing suggestions and alternative routes after failing to complete objectives or win in an encounter? Long Arm of the Hutt was pretty good about listing ways out of such situations and responses from NPCs, and I read one review that mentioned an example in this new adventure, but I'm curious how it stacks up overall. A lot of modules go the easy route and assume players are just going to fall in line or you don't have to worry about them getting their sorry butts captured.

What's the impression on Beyond the Rim's approach to 'failing forward', as in providing suggestions and alternative routes after failing to complete objectives or win in an encounter? Long Arm of the Hutt was pretty good about listing ways out of such situations and responses from NPCs, and I read one review that mentioned an example in this new adventure, but I'm curious how it stacks up overall. A lot of modules go the easy route and assume players are just going to fall in line or you don't have to worry about them getting their sorry butts captured.

There seems to be quite a lot of 'sidebars' and ways to amend the plotline if it gets derailed. I particularly liked the subplot where you can add a wookiee big game hunter!

The plot doesn't assume you rescue the main objectives, for instance, although that will be optimal in so many ways. The survival of the main NPCs, both allies and enemies, depends on the character's actions, for instance.

Edited by Maelora

Just ordered mine via Amazon/coolstuffinc. Delivery says first week of October, yikes!

This is my first time ever Amazoning; is long wait due to the extra middle man?

Yes.  If the order is fulfilled BY Amazon, it's usually very fast.  Faster if you have Prime.  I get stuff in 2 days.

But if it's a 3rd party merchant selling via amazon (like Coolstuffinc), it takes a while.

Just ordered mine via Amazon/coolstuffinc. Delivery says first week of October, yikes!

Actually, if you look at Coolstuffinc's seller profile for that item, it says that it is in stock and shipping as of 9/5.

I think Amazon is only going by the release date that FFG gave them and that is why the delivery date says the first week of October.  My guess is that FFG hasn't let Amazon know about the updated release date or that they just have not let Amazon sell the item yet.

So don't worry!  I ordered my on Amazon too from another seller.  My copy has already shipped, yours will ship soon too!

*edit spelling*

Edited by Judicar

What do you think of the adventure's quality and playability?

There's any stuff you particularly like or dislike?

I am still eagerly waiting for my copy while it makes its voyage across the atlantic ocean, from Florida to Portugal, and would't mind some spoilers... as I have much hope in running this adventure with my crew.

Actually, if you look at Coolstuffinc's seller profile for that item, it says that it is in stock and shipping as of 9/5.

I think Amazon is only going by the release date that FFG gave them and that is why the delivery date says the first week of October.  My guess is that FFG hasn't let Amazon know about the updated release date or that they just have not let Amazon sell the item yet.

So don't worry!  I ordered my on Amazon too from another seller.  My copy has already shipped, yours will ship soon too!

*edit spelling*

Yeah I saw that date. Gives me some hope for an earlier arrival. Its all good though, Ive got at least 2 other stories to get through before I run Rim.

For those who have spent time with it...

How does it handle Obligation? Are there specific call-outs to different Obligations at certain points or some such?

It offers a fairly substantial reduction, up to 57 across all PCs if everything is done well (some hope there!)

There's also a section on 'subplots' that tie in to Obligation:

Blackmailed/Bounty Hunters/Distant Relative/Favour/Imperial Informant/Missing Treasure Hunters

Each of these has a paragraph or so on using that particular plot.

The way EoE seems to handle Obligation in general always seems a bit vague to me (or more properly, very personalised to each character). But this seems a pretty good way to handle things. It doesn't automatically assume you owe money to a Hutt, and there's space for the GM to develop whatever plot she likes from these story seeds.

I for one was impressed.

I for one love how vague a lot of the book is. It's very open ended in how it gives you everything you need to run the adventure, but also provides many opportunities for side stories, different characters to attack you and also provides branching paths if you want characters from the campaign or games you have already run, to meet up with you in the future.

It's a great book for a cheap price, I'm very happy with it.

Picked this up the other day and I'm reading it through now. There is one problem I have with the book thus far, though.

How do you even pronounce the Nalaor in Sa Nalaor?

Edited by thecableton

Still waiting for my pre-order copy to arrive at my FLGS.

Unfortunately their distributor for FFG products is Alliance Distribution and they tend to be run a week or more behind on receiving shipments so it's likely I won't get my copy until next week sometime.

Luckily my players pretty much have the next session planned out for me. Last time they all received very large bounty obligations courtesy of a raw deal with Bargos the Hutt. My PCs are a bloodthirsty pack of brigands, and they are initial response is to track down Bargos and murder him.

How do you even pronounce the Nalaor in Sa Nalaor?

Off the top of my head? "Nalla-or"  I think this version sounds more Sci Fi.

Although a good argument could be  made for "Nelay-or"

Unfortunately no character pronunciation markings are there to help you with proper pronunciation.