Sign in to follow this  
Jehan Menasis

Barrel Touch

That puts a different light on it I guess, I had not seen that FFG statement. If that is true, then sliding in a barrel roll until touching would allow firing as you say.

Better to read the whole thread before you start throwing around the dreaded "rules lawyering" accusations my friend.

Interesting.  So according to the FAQ, if you brush right up against the base of another ship after completing you maneuver - making contact but NOT overlapping any part of its base - you are not considered touching?  And could therefore take a shot at them if in fire arc?

Nice.  We had one come up recently (My printed rulebook with updated FAQ was forgotten at home) where either a boost or a barrel roll brought the corner of one of my B-Wings right up against the base of another ship.  We debated for a minute whether that was overlapping or not - I mean it was like one of those things you see in a movie where the car is about to run a guy over, and he hits the brakes, and screeches towards him, and then the bumper just kind of goes *tink* against his shin before the car rocks back on its suspension and comes to rest.

Anyway after a bit of debate we decided to compromise and say since they were touching I could not fire at him, but since I did not overlap his base I did not lose my action.  Nice to know the FAQ would have considered this NOT touching, for future reference, since I would have gotten a 4 dice attack on him.

And yes, I know barrel roll is an action, I'm pretty sure I was running Ibtisam with PTL, and still had that second action left when I landed up against him.  So I could have thrown on a focus or whatever, gotten the free reroll from being stressed, and zapped him.   :D

Unless I'm mistaken here the problem isn't the touching/overlap issue but rather you let him "slide" the fighter down the template and apparently STOP before he made it to the end.  My impression is that when you Barrel Roll you lay down the template and then set the ship down at the other end of it.  I guess there may be some sliding up and down along the edge of the rolling fighter but there is NO sliding down the length of the template.

Putting things another way the barrel roll may allow the fighter to alter its forward/backward position a little bit but when looking at the side to side position it either rolls all the way or not at all.

Well as long as he doesn't move the template during the process i would not mind. Remember he can place the template as long as its short side conpletely touches the side of the ships base. You even have to check if you are even allowed to barrel roll at all so no problem if he slides it into contact with the enemy ship. As long as there is no overlapping he can perform the roll and after that he is in contact so no shooting. I see no problem with that.

ForceM, my problem has always been how "slide the base along the template" can be interpreted.  When I read that I think of the "along" just like you'd slide a ship back along a template if the final position would overlap another ship.  Of course it seems a further issue is can "touching" happen and have any effect with game mechanics without it resulting from an overlap.

As long as there is no overlapping he can perform the roll and after that he is in contact so no shooting. I see no problem with that.

Unless I am reading things incorrectly earlier in the post it appears as if you can shoot still as long as no overlap has occurred.

As long as there is no overlapping he can perform the roll and after that he is in contact so no shooting. I see no problem with that.

Unless I am reading things incorrectly earlier in the post it appears as if you can shoot still as long as no overlap has occurred.

That is correct, because they clarified that ships are not "touching" as far as the rules are concerned unless it came about from an overlap.  In the case of barrel-rolls/boosts, it is not legal to overlap while performing a barrel-roll/boost so there is no way to perform the action in such a way that it would prevent ships from shooting at one another.

I'm glad to better understand this now. We had an interesting situation. I had a tie fighter going directly head to head with the Falcon. I overlapped so I backed the Tie up so that the Falcon and tie were touching face to face. Next turn I executed a 2 straight ahead. That Manuever template is the exact depth of the Falcon base so when I finished I was exactly behind the Falcon and we were touching back to back. But according to this thread we were no longer 'touching' since there was no overlap this turn. Good to know.

Unfortunately, the "nubs" on the base DO count for overlap, so a speed 2 move forward would have brought you up short by the distance of two nubs (one between you when you started, and one behind you when you end).  So, a 2 move when face to face with a large ship will not allow you to move at all.

KineteicOperator brings up a good point about how little it takes to still "overlap" but in any case I'm not sure how much I'd like to go from "touching" the Falcon in front of me with a TIE to "not touching" the Falcon with it directly BEHIND my TIE fighter.  You may have just stepped over it (and it probably will move as well) but your now looking at a four die attack with no real way to answer with the TIE.