Sign in to follow this  
syrath

beyond the rim

Ordered my copy at Miniatures Market for ~$20

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgswe05.html

I didn't do a ton of comparison shopping, but this DID seem like the best price. As a personal bonus, I had a five dollar credit I've been sitting on for, like, two years! :)

Has anyone gotten the product yet? I'm curious if there are any "crunchy bits" not directly related to the plot -- for example, new talents, species, or equipment.

Has anyone gotten the product yet? I'm curious if there are any "crunchy bits" not directly related to the plot -- for example, new talents, species, or equipment. 

I just picked my copy up at Miniature Market today. I haven't had much of a chance to read it in depth, but a quick flip-through reveals a bunch of new adversaries, (Scout Troopers, Nexu etc.) as well as some cool suggestions for how to use the Fear mechanic. Off hand, I don't see any "new" mechanics or player-species, though.

Overall, I'm very impressed. It seems very well written, and it goes without saying that the art is absolutely gorgeous.

If you have specific questions, I'll gladly share what I can.

Edit: The very last page of the book does offer a brief writeup on an optional "cybernetics" skill. It seems to be geared towards installing cybernetic enhancements and replacements.

Edited by Yoshiyahu

There are also a few new starships (mostly modified versions of what we already have seen) but nothing on how to use those modifications on other ships. One YT-2400 has improved sensor range and maneuverability, but there are no rules for such Attachments.

Edited by HappyDaze

I was shocked when my local store was selling it today. I am used to things being a week or two later than the states

Got mine today from my FLGS as well, stunning artwork and well written!

Hoping the game store I order though can get it next week for me. If not, no biggie. I've still got plenty of adventure stuff for a few months anyway. Couldn't buy it anyway until my next paycheck. I've got to be a responsible adult and pay my bills first.

I've had it since GenCon, and did a review of it over at the Gamer Security Agency.

There's really not a whole lot of "new crunch" to be found.  No new talents, no new species, and only a few bits of custom-built cybernetics that aren't commercially available and can have a considerable negative impact on your character if you roll a despair.

There's only one new transport and a few new species as far as "non-adventure specific elements" go.  There's plenty of NPCs (naturally), but many of them are adventure-specific.

So what is the Treasure, been dying to know?  :)

Friendship. You know, the kind of bonding that can only come through the shared experience of an adventure.

(Just kidding! I'll send you a PM so I don't post spoilers on the main forum.)

That's where I ordered mine too.

Got my shipping notification this morning.

Oh yeah? Did you preorder it as soon as it was listed? I preordered mine more recently, and it still reads as 'processing preorder' (which is what it always says until it goes to 'ready to ship'). I know they're selling them out of their storefront, too, so I wonder if I'm further down the queue 'cause I preordered at a relatively later date...

That's where I ordered mine too.

Got my shipping notification this morning.

Oh yeah? Did you preorder it as soon as it was listed? I preordered mine more recently, and it still reads as 'processing preorder' (which is what it always says until it goes to 'ready to ship'). I know they're selling them out of their storefront, too, so I wonder if I'm further down the queue 'cause I preordered at a relatively later date...

I preordered about 3 weeks ago.

They are showing them in stock so they are probably just working through the preorders.

Edited by fjw70

....Overall, I'm very impressed. It seems very well written, and it goes without saying that the art is absolutely gorgeous.

I may avail myself of this opportunity. Thanks :^)

How linear is the plot? Would you consider it a rail road? Does it assume what the players will do? Does it give the PCs the freedom to do whatever they want ?

I may avail myself of this opportunity. Thanks :^)

How linear is the plot? Would you consider it a rail road? Does it assume what the players will do? Does it give the PCs the freedom to do whatever they want ? 

The plot is semi-linear in the sense that there are three distinct acts that need to be completed in order to make any sense. That said, the specific encounters and "missions" within those acts seem like they can be completed in any order- for the most part, anyway. There are multiple sidebars that offer suggestions for tweaks or ways to resolve encounters apart from the most obvious ones presented. A recurring sidebar discusses alternative ways to run encounters if the player party fails to arrive at a series of objectives before a competitor does. Compared to modules I've seen from other publishers, Beyond the Rim goes out of its way to avoid assuming what the players are going to do.

Now of course, the level of freedom enjoyed by the players is as dependent upon the GM as it is on the module.