Sign in to follow this  
Split Light

A couple quick questions

I had a couple minor issues come up in our game last weekend and was wondering if anybody could illuminate.

1)  Can stimpacks heal strain, or only wounds?

2)  Can both the GM and Player use destiny points to up/downgrade the same roll? 

3)  In the old West End system Astromech droids were able to have up to 10 hyperspace routes in their memory, thus didn't need a roll or nav-computer (or only a relatively minor roll).  I don't see anything about this in EotE.  Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks all.  I've GM'ed 3 sessions now, and am starting to get the hang of it, but am still ironing out the kinks.

1) Strain.  Medpacs are for wounds.  Another reason why getting shot up can put a hitch in a player's get-along.  :edit:   DEEERRRRP.  I am clearly in need of more coffee.  Stimpacks work on wounds, but have a diminishing return on stimpack spamming.

2) Roger that Ghost Rider

3) If you want to port this over, you could do it any way you want really.  A couple ideas that spring to mind for me:

• Have the droid list the routes they have memorized for a session or an episode or scene ... some pre-built list.
  • If it is a player character, let the astromech player flip a destiny point to get the group out of having to roll an Astrogation check anytime.  Since you don't need to roll an Astro check for every.single.jump, and only do it when the chips are down and everyone is yelling "they told me they fixed it! it's not my fault!"  the droid character could be kind of awesome in that regard "beep bop boop beeeeeeep" translation: don't worry beaches, I got this.

No matter what, astromech players should have to speak in beeps and whistles at the table.   I mean that's just good manners.

Edited by Callidon

1) Strain.  Medpacs are for wounds.  Another reason why getting shot up can put a hitch in a player's get-along.  :edit:   DEEERRRRP.  I am clearly in need of more coffee.  Stimpacks work on wounds, but have a diminishing return on stimpack spamming.

2) Roger that Ghost Rider

3) If you want to port this over, you could do it any way you want really.  A couple ideas that spring to mind for me:

• Have the droid list the routes they have memorized for a session or an episode or scene ... some pre-built list.
  • If it is a player character, let the astromech player flip a destiny point to get the group out of having to roll an Astrogation check anytime.  Since you don't need to roll an Astro check for every.single.jump, and only do it when the chips are down and everyone is yelling "they told me they fixed it! it's not my fault!"  the droid character could be kind of awesome in that regard "beep bop boop beeeeeeep" translation: don't worry beaches, I got this.

No matter what, astromech players should have to speak in beeps and whistles at the table.   I mean that's just good manners.

Concerning #3: I agree.  In the CRB it mentions spending destiny points narratively.  So the astromech could spend a destiny point to "just happen to" have a needed route stored in memory rather than needing to list out the exact routes he has.

I had a couple minor issues come up in our game last weekend and was wondering if anybody could illuminate.

1)  Can stimpacks heal strain, or only wounds?

2)  Can both the GM and Player use destiny points to up/downgrade the same roll? 

3)  In the old West End system Astromech droids were able to have up to 10 hyperspace routes in their memory, thus didn't need a roll or nav-computer (or only a relatively minor roll).  I don't see anything about this in EotE.  Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks all.  I've GM'ed 3 sessions now, and am starting to get the hang of it, but am still ironing out the kinks.

#1) Per RAW, they only heal Wounds.  Don't forget that the PCs get a free Cool or Discipline roll after an encounter (reflecting them taking a few minutes to catch their breath) against a Simple (no purple) difficulty to recover Strain.  Since most PCs are going to have at least a 2 in either Presence or Willpower (droids are the only possible exception), that means PCs will have a chance to recover at least some Strain.  Plus, remember that Strain can be recovered by spending Advantages from a roll as well, providing another quick means of Strain recovery.

#2) Yes, but it has to be separate Destiny Points, not just flipping the same one.  In a lot of cases, this isn't a huge deal as there are a few light side and dark side Destiny Points in the pool at any given time, but if a situation comes up where the pool is 100% light or dark, then the other person (player if the pool was all dark, GM if the pool was all light) can't spend a Destiny Point on that roll, since it wasn't there when the action was declared.  Again, not a huge issue due to rarity, but something to keep in mind.

#3) That's an element of bookkeeping I'm glad to see gone (and one that I rarely saw enforced anyway in most games), but Callidon and PatientWolf have the right idea in that you can just let the player (either the one who owns the astromech or is the one playing the astromech) simply flip a Light Side Destiny Point to say "Hey, my astromech as the course for system such&such already uploaded into his memory banks" which might even negate the need for an Astrogation check in the first place.

Thanks for the answers.  It seems to me that there should be some sort of stimpackish device that can effect strain.  A shot of adrenaline, or a super stimulant, such things exist even today.  That said, I might have some less pleasant side effects for a strain booster.  A strain crash at the end, or some sort of temporary stat drain after the boost wears off.  I'll have to ponder, but I might try to create something for my game.

It may kind of fly in the face of RAW, but you could have stimpacks work on Strain and rather than diminishing returns, have the drawback be something like one (1) setback die per use added to dice pool roll results for the duration of the encounter or scene.  So if someone is popping stimpacks like crazy they are going to be swinging things out of their favor with a growing pile of black dice as the sparks begin to crowd in the corners of their vision and they get the blood-sugar dump (or whatever their internal reactive chemistry is anyway) shakes.

Anywho...just spit-ballin', feel free to ignore my wild babbling.

I have also a quick question, so to not open a new topic I use this one.

Often, in a task description it says that when I have Despair result I should do this or this. However, mostly the difficulty is based on a violet dice, not red one which are added when there is active opposition or a GM uses Destiny point. When I should upgrade difficulty for the skill checks, except for the mentioned cases?

I have also a quick question, so to not open a new topic I use this one.

Often, in a task description it says that when I have Despair result I should do this or this. However, mostly the difficulty is based on a violet dice, not red one which are added when there is active opposition or a GM uses Destiny point. When I should upgrade difficulty for the skill checks, except for the mentioned cases?

The question of Upgrading Difficulty (ie - adding challenge die) vs Setback die is a common one.  Here is the rule of thumb I like to follow:

In a situation where there are adverse external effects, like blaster fire or lightning storm, add 1 or more setback dice.  But if you want to introduce the possibility of Despair, upgrade difficulty.  it's good to have a Despair scenario in mind if you go this route.  Like, if you want to see something specific if a Despair is rolled or think it might be threatening or exciting, do it.

#2  I've houserule that only 1 person can use a Destiny point per action.  Whatever character or NPC that is doing the action has first dibs on using the DP, if they opt not to...defender can use it.  Its worked extremely well so far and really heightens the tension and helps make the game more cinematic.

Except it isn't a counter. Even if you upgrade the ability check the upgraded difficulty is going to contain a Challenge die, and that allows for a Despair result. Not to mention that if your players keep doing that, they are always providing the GM with unlimited Dark side Destiny points. And keep in mind, once all the Destiny points are on one side of the table, the other side can't use one to counter - you only flip the points AFTER the roll is made.

sigh (again with my problem communicating clearly - this time because I was rushing)....I know all that...that's why I said counter in air quotes.  It's not really a counter but he still does it to oppose me doing it and it gets annoying.  The other players give him the same reasons you (and I have to) but he continues to do it.  It's not a huge deal and I haven't changed the rules yet, but when I'm cranky it's tempting to tell him, no, from now on once a DP is used on a action no counter flipping (of one that hasn't been flipped this turn, I know that too)

One other point about players spending Destiny Points to counter is that there's a specific order to spending them.

The person making the actual check has the first option to spend a Destiny Point, then the person defending has the choice to spend a Destiny Point.

So if the player is making an attack roll against an NPC, and chooses not to spend a Destiny Point, they actually can't "counter" if the GM chooses to spend a Destiny Point to upgrade the difficulty.  I believe this came up during the session I played under Sam Stewart, when a player wanted to spend a Destiny Point to upgrade their skill check in response to Sam spending one to upgrade the difficulty.

Good to know. I was not aware...I knew the active player had first choice but thought they could still choose to use one in response. Makes sense.

Still, in my case I have only used it to improve a NPC's skill and then he upgrades the difficulty. I have to get over feeling like a jerk if I try to increase a player's difficulty (unless there is a good story reason)