Sign in to follow this  
LOBrow

YT-2400 deck plan

I decided to re-visit my nearly decade old deck plan of the YT-2400 and bring it up to date with new visual design, current canon measurements and based on the interior description from Edge of the Empire's Core Rulebook.

Enjoy!

http://familiarsuns.wordpress.com/2013/09/01/yt-2400-last-harvest/

Looks nice. One point I would make is that I would prefer if the numbers for the rooms on the ship be in order, rather than all over the place. For example location 1 is on the opposite side of the ship from location 2, making me look all over the place for some of the locations.

Good lay out, except having to go through the med bay to get to the cockpit seems a little off. Potentially dangerous too.

I've got to agree there, mostly.  It's not actually a full blown med-bay.  But, yeah, I'd swap the location of the 'med-bed' and refresher.  It puts the refresher closer to more of the bunks, and keeps any medical treatments further from regular traffic, *and* closer to the only escape pod with potential room for a gurney.

Other than that?  Very nicely done.

I'd swap the location of the 'med-bed' and refresher.  It puts the refresher closer to more of the bunks, and keeps any medical treatments further from regular traffic, *and* closer to the only escape pod with potential room for a gurney.

Um... the "refresher" is the bathroom.

That'd be awkward (hilarious, but awkward), also equally as dangerous with water on the floor from the shower. If anything, that area should be left open, and just change one of the existing bunk rooms into a med bay.

I'd swap the location of the 'med-bed' and refresher.  It puts the refresher closer to more of the bunks, and keeps any medical treatments further from regular traffic, *and* closer to the only escape pod with potential room for a gurney.

That'd be awkward (hilarious, but awkward), also equally as dangerous with water on the floor from the shower. If anything, that area should be left open, and just change one of the existing bunk rooms into a med bay.

I have to agree that I can't see spending dedicated space for a medbay on such a small ship. Generally, with the exception of 'space rescue' (ambulance) type vehicles, I don't feel a medbay is really approp[riate on ships of less than Silouette 5.

Um... the "refresher" is the bathroom.That'd be awkward (hilarious, but awkward), also equally as dangerous with water on the floor from the shower. If anything, that area should be left open, and just change one of the existing bunk rooms into a med bay.

I have to agree that I can't see spending dedicated space for a medbay on such a small ship. Generally, with the exception of 'space rescue' (ambulance) type vehicles, I don't feel a medbay is really approp[riate on ships of less than Silouette 5.

That's not what we're saying at all. This ship is for adventurers, a med bay is definately needed.The Ebon Hawk had a med bay, even Serenity built a who room in its cargo hold for a med bay. PCs should definately have a med bay; its good for story and its better to not have people bleed out on random floors or the crew dinning table. It's just a matter of where the room fits. In this case, there probably doesn't need to be 8 beds though.

Um... the "refresher" is the bathroom.That'd be awkward (hilarious, but awkward), also equally as dangerous with water on the floor from the shower. If anything, that area should be left open, and just change one of the existing bunk rooms into a med bay.
That's not what we're saying at all. This ship is for adventurers, a med bay is definately needed.The Ebon Hawk had a med bay, even Serenity built a who room in its cargo hold for a med bay. PCs should definately have a med bay; its good for story and its better to not have people bleed out on random floors or the crew dinning table. It's just a matter of where the room fits. In this case, there probably doesn't need to be 8 beds though.

Serenity is more like a Silouette 5 ship in most ways I've seen (it's about 115 meters long from one source I've seen, 82 meters on another). The Wayfarer would be the best of the currently available ships to represent it, and I could see that ship having a small med bay.

As far as the Ebon Hawk goes, I would say that it's about as convincing to me as using the TARDIS as an example of what fits into a small ship.

Edited by HappyDaze

Since the ship has a name and is not a generic yt-2400, I don't mind the location of the med bunk, let alone the existence of it. 

It's close to the entrance ramp, so that is the best place.  As to why a ship that small would have a med bay (or in this case a med bed - perhaps the owners were mercenaries, or explorers in a out of the way location.  A hyperspace jump can take weeks.  If you aren't in a civilized area, you may not have access to medical aid. 

I'm aware that the 'refresher' is the bathroom.  You run a small partition wall horizontally from the doorway to the corner of the storage cabinet, and you've got a small area suitable for a stand-up shower, a toilet, and a sink (nothing spectacular, but fully functional).  It's situated near the crew bunks and cockpit, but not too far from the passenger cabins.  Putting the med bed over at #4 also provides a method to, in a pinch, quarantine the patient much more thoroughly than a curtain in the highest-traffic area of the ship.

Of course, the better alternative for 'normal folks' is to convert the passenger cabin directly 'south' of the refresher into the med bay (on an as-needed basis), and put a secondary crew-only galley or refresher in the space taken up by the med bed.  A crew of adventurers, on the other hand, is probably going to end up *needing* dedicated medical space, even if it isn't part of the ship's standard layout.

Edited by Voice

First I'd like to thank everyone for your interest in the deck plan! I'm very happy to hear that it'll find actual use in your games, because that's why it was created. I also welcome your feedback, and I'd like to take a moment to address the points that have been brought up:

Label order

The current order of numbered labels is sub-optimal, I agree. I've tried to give the deck plan as large a portion of the available space as possible in the image, and as such had to improvise on where and in what order I could fit the list of locations. I'll definitely give this aspect more thought in the future and will in all likelihood update the YT-2400 deck plan at some point, too.

Placement of medical facilities

As I mentioned in my original post, I've created the interior layout based on Edge of the Empire's description of the YT-2400 (page 265 of the Core Rulebook) and the current canon measurements of the YT-2400 as recorded by Wookieepedia (from the Millennium Falcon Owner's Workshop Manual). To give you some perspective, here's a size comparison showing you just how small the YT-2400 is:

The ship's limited size didn't leave a lot of room to add missing things once I had everything from the Core Rulebook's description in. As per the description, the passenger cabins need to be in the aft section of the ship and fit 6 passengers. The galley and refresher need to be opposite to the cockpit.

There was no medical equipment mentioned in the description, but like many here I thought it important that a group of adventurers had at least the most rudimentary medical facilities at their disposal. In a ship that, according to the description, makes "better, more efficient use of available space" that might mean having to live with a medical bed in what resembles a common area. Someone else might have left the dining area out and replaced it with a different corridor layout and a medical bay. In both cases it's a balancing act - something needs to give.

Mind you, neither the dining area nor the common area were mentioned in the description; in wanting to keep space taken up by useless corridors to a minimum I put those particular spots to use. What corridors and blast doors there are serve the purpose of sectioning the ship to maximize life expectancy in case of hull breach. A fully open-plan ship would be a very bad idea. On the other hand a small ship full of corridors wastes valuable space.

Having said all that (and as Voice pointed out) I can definitely see a group of adventurers taking this deck plan and converting one of the passenger cabins into a more practical medical bay, depending on how large medical facilities they need. Or simply equipping a cabin of their choosing so that it can pull double-duty as either a cabin or a medical facility.

I could also see myself creating a version of this deck plan in the future that does not so closely follow Edge of the Empire's description and for such a variant this discussion would definitely prove very useful.
Edited by Cairo

First I'd like to thank everyone for your interest in the deck plan! I'm very happy to hear that it'll find actual use in your games, because that's why it was created. I also welcome your feedback, and I'd like to take a moment to address the points that have been brought up:

Label order

The current order of numbered labels is sub-optimal, I agree. I've tried to give the deck plan as large a portion of the available space as possible in the image, and as such had to improvise on where and in what order I could fit the list of locations. I'll definitely give this aspect more thought in the future and will in all likelihood update the YT-2400 deck plan at some point, too.

Placement of medical facilities

As I mentioned in my original post, I've created the interior layout based on Edge of the Empire's description of the YT-2400 (page 265 of the Core Rulebook) and the current canon measurements of the YT-2400 as recorded by Wookieepedia (from the Millennium Falcon Owner's Workshop Manual). To give you some perspective, here's a size comparison showing you just how small the YT-2400 is:

The ship's limited size didn't leave a lot of room to add missing things once I had everything from the Core Rulebook's description in. As per the description, the passenger cabins need to be in the aft section of the ship and fit 6 passengers. The galley and refresher need to be opposite to the cockpit.

There was no medical equipment mentioned in the description, but like many here I thought it important that a group of adventurers had at least the most rudimentary medical facilities at their disposal. In a ship that, according to the description, makes "better, more efficient use of available space" that might mean having to live with a medical bed in what resembles a common area. Someone else might have left the dining area out and replaced it with a different corridor layout and a medical bay. In both cases it's a balancing act - something needs to give.

Mind you, neither the dining area nor the common area were mentioned in the description; in wanting to keep space taken up by useless corridors to a minimum I put those particular spots to use. What corridors and blast doors there are serve the purpose of sectioning the ship to maximize life expectancy in case of hull breach. A fully open-plan ship would be a very bad idea. On the other hand a small ship full of corridors wastes valuable space.

Having said all that (and as Voice pointed out) I can definitely see a group of adventurers taking this deck plan and converting one of the passenger cabins into a more practical medical bay, depending on how large medical facilities they need. Or simply equipping a cabin of their choosing so that it can pull double-duty as either a cabin or a medical facility.

I could also see myself creating a version of this deck plan in the future that does not so closely follow Edge of the Empire's description and for such a variant this discussion would definitely prove very useful.

Something else to keep in mind.  The space for 6 passengers could involve bunks, rather than 6 distinct beds on the floor.  That has the potential to open up a lot of extra space inside the ship.

Something else to keep in mind.  The space for 6 passengers could involve bunks, rather than 6 distinct beds on the floor.  That has the potential to open up a lot of extra space inside the ship.

Certainly, and I actually considered this at one point when I realized I'd have to place half of the passengers on the other side of the ship. Looking at various pictures of the YT-2400, however, it seemed unlikely to me that you would have double-decker bunks closer to the outside edge of the ship's circular hull which I imagined to be low enough for an adult human to need to hunch down some - a good reason to have a bed there in the first place.

There are of course examples of very cramped sleeping arrangements, such as submarines where the bottom bed is very low to the ground and the top one very close to the ceiling with minimal vertical space in-between, requiring athletics to get into. No sleeping on your side if you have some shoulders on you, either. Since the YT-2400 is not a military vessel, however, I felt the passengers these ships would carry might not go for that kind of an arrangement. A custom YT-2400 modified to be a long-distance troop transport could live with such, of course.

As for the crew... well, they stay onboard for much longer than passengers so while they might accept tight spaces as part of their lifestyle, in the long run it might get annoying when elsewhere on the ship "roomy" beds went unused. Plus, judging by images of the YT-2400 there's likely even less vertical space in that part of the ship where the crew quarters are.

As a general observation about many deck-plans that I've found on the internet:

It strikes me as odd that very often the area dedicated to freight is quite small compared to the relatively luxurious living quarters: Individual cabins, dedicated kitchen areas, freshers with baths, spacious lounges and so on.

My vision of a small freighter is: very spartan living quarters, double or triple bunks, multi-function rooms with the majority of the space dedicated to the cargo compartment. Basically more like a submarine than yacht.

Passenger accommodation on a freighter to me isn't intended for passengers paying for a comfortable flight from A to B but rather space for additional crew beyond the required minimum or low-passage berthing.  

YMMV of course.

As a general observation about many deck-plans that I've found on the internet:

It strikes me as odd that very often the area dedicated to freight is quite small compared to the relatively luxurious living quarters: Individual cabins, dedicated kitchen areas, freshers with baths, spacious lounges and so on.

My vision of a small freighter is: very spartan living quarters, double or triple bunks, multi-function rooms with the majority of the space dedicated to the cargo compartment. Basically more like a submarine than yacht.

Passenger accommodation on a freighter to me isn't intended for passengers paying for a comfortable flight from A to B but rather space for additional crew beyond the required minimum or low-passage berthing.  

YMMV of course.

I agree with this. Light freighters are not intended to be spacious. The canon floor plans for the YT-1300 show six passengers all bunking in a single cabin with the crew bunks in the engineering room to the aft. These are a far cry from yachts.

For me 'Firefly' is a fantastic example of such a freighter. Yes, there are individual cabins - but they are very narrow. Passengers are not really comfortable, and unless the ship is modded for passenger transportation, the conditions shouldn't be good. And yes, cargo and engines take most of the space.

I think 'Firefly' is bigger than the Falcon, so it must be really cramped in YTs... That's why I insist that my players don't live on their ship if they're visiting a city/planet with accomodation avaiable.

I decided to re-visit my nearly decade old deck plan of the YT-2400 and bring it up to date with new visual design, current canon measurements and based on the interior description from Edge of the Empire's Core Rulebook.

Enjoy!

Very good.  I like what you did here.