Sign in to follow this  
KingNova3000

Parts! (House Rule)

PARTS

A good tub of miscellaneous bits is any tinkerers dream! With skilled hands and clever know how, any mechanically savvy individual can make use out of a seemingly useless pile of junk.

When a character attempts to modify a weapon or item attachment they're required to spend 100 credits on raw materials, although if they have a stash of parts on hand they can reduce this cost by 10 credits per unit of parts used. A unit of parts is considered to be an abstract measure of a random assortment of useful bits an pieces. A particularly skilled individual can increase the modification difficulty by +2 to increase the discount offered to 20 credits per unit of parts. Obviously a unit of parts is exhausted once it is used.

Edited by KingNova3000

I've sort of done the same.

At first I made them define "what sort of parts", like if they had a collection of used, unusable blaster or whatever, that sort of parts could help with weapons and so on. Basically this turned defining the sum of the parts they had, so 100 credits worth of parts is just that. 100 credits for modification and so on.

Now the value of parts is based on the type of object it is. So a blaster pistol that costs 300 credits would be 300 credits worth of parts.

Since your idea introduces changes to the difficulty and units rather than value I might latch onto that, you could also say that a unit of parts requires 1 encumbrance? 2? A "tub of parts" could require 5 encumbrance while supplying you with ten units?

Although I think I'd make the increase you're adding an upgrade instead. I'd be considering 1 difficulty upgrade for using parts at a 10 credit discount, and 2 upgrades for the 20 credit discount.

Perhaps scavenging an item produces a number of units of parts based on either price of the object, or the encumbrance of it?

I think you're underestimating how hefty that proposed increase in difficulty is for such a meager discount. If attempting to get that 20 credit discount per part on just the very first modification of a weapon or armor attachment, the mechanic in question would be rolling their skill vs five purple dice, which is pretty **** difficult even if you're a dedicated and properly leveled mechanic. You're practically throwing the mod away, which sort of renders the discount a moot point.

I think you're underestimating how hefty that proposed increase in difficulty is for such a meager discount. If attempting to get that 20 credit discount per part on just the very first modification of a weapon or armor attachment, the mechanic in question would be rolling their skill vs five purple dice, which is pretty **** difficult even if you're a dedicated and properly leveled mechanic. You're practically throwing the mod away, which sort of renders the discount a moot point.

Well that's the point, its meant to be exceedingly difficult to get something for nothing. Most of the time a character will take the safe option and go for the 10 credit discount, but if credits are low or if the circumstances are in the characters favour (i.e light side point, assistance, improved tools and etc) then the higher difficulty is possible. The more insane the difficult becomes for further levels of a single mod, represents the fact that eventually a random pile of bits wont help when it comes to throwing together something of a more advanced/higher quality.

I've sort of done the same.

At first I made them define "what sort of parts", like if they had a collection of used, unusable blaster or whatever, that sort of parts could help with weapons and so on. Basically this turned defining the sum of the parts they had, so 100 credits worth of parts is just that. 100 credits for modification and so on.

Now the value of parts is based on the type of object it is. So a blaster pistol that costs 300 credits would be 300 credits worth of parts.

Since your idea introduces changes to the difficulty and units rather than value I might latch onto that, you could also say that a unit of parts requires 1 encumbrance? 2? A "tub of parts" could require 5 encumbrance while supplying you with ten units?

Although I think I'd make the increase you're adding an upgrade instead. I'd be considering 1 difficulty upgrade for using parts at a 10 credit discount, and 2 upgrades for the 20 credit discount.

Perhaps scavenging an item produces a number of units of parts based on either price of the object, or the encumbrance of it?

Good idea on a 5 encumbrance for a "tub of parts". Lose parts on their own have a enc. of 1.

I'm actually putting together salvage rules, which includes converting some of it to parts. I will post them up once I've got a rough draft down up.

I think you're underestimating how hefty that proposed increase in difficulty is for such a meager discount.

Exactly what I was thinking.  That's a hell of a difficulty increase in order to save less than a 100 credits.

I'd go the other way... a 1000cr pile of 'generic' parts can be used to provide up to 100cr towards any 'specific' project.  I'd require the players to replenish stuff they've pulled out at some time reasonably in the future.

The advantage to the players is that they can do what they want when they want.  "Hey look! A Blaster Rifle!  I may have a repeater barrel in stores..."

Also, the rules do say that light side force points can be used to conveniently find stuff...   Maybe you do a combination of ideas?

I'd go the opposite way, too.  Have the parts cost some money X, but it provides a boost die to the modification.  That way, it gives the player the choice to spend more money in order lower the risk of ruining the attachment.