Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Karlson

Voice of Isengard Discussion

534 posts in this topic

Thanks man, really appreciate it but half the fun for me is beating it with decks I made myself.
I'll definitely edit my decks using yours as a guide if I continue to have no success though.
I love how thematic your decks are by the way, very awesome!
Good to know I'm not doing quite as badly as I thought =)

It's interesting, this may be the first expansion where I'm actually more excited about the quests than I am about the player cards. Usually I'm all about the player cards but these quests are just so good! I also like that, beside having to move quickly, they don't seem to force to you to make a really specific deck to beat them.

Glaurung likes this

Also, PsychoRocka,

I don't know if there's room for two Elrohirs on this forum... ;)

I meet you at dawn with your best Elladan/Elrohir deck and we'll duel

Hahaha, brilliant! Thank you sir for making me laugh :D

Finally beat three after heavy boarding. I'm wondering if my deck might work better if I just let him get away and go in after him.

I think scenario 3 is pretty difficult for solo,  it must be easier with more players, since first reports made it seem really easy.  Those trees can really beat you down if your deck is not questing fast enough to make it through, two of them have some pretty nasty forced effects.  I like how their attacks and or damage they deal are out of the combat phase, which really changes up some strategy.  I don't mind the one that raises threat, it's the other 2 to watch out for.   Very cool quest with a very different feel to what were used to.

Glaurung likes this

Hey Tracker1, when the Huron enemies attack, have you been giving them a shadow card? I read in the rule insert that they do not get shadow cards nor attack during the combat phase, but when they attack outside the combat phase, are you supposed to give them shadow cards?? If so, what if Mugash has been shuffled into the encounter deck as a result of timing out and then he is dealt as a shadow card, does he go automatically to the staging area, or are you out of luck and have to wait until the encounter deck gets re-shuffled? I wish it was more clear on the cards, but I thought I would ask you since you have some experience playing the quest. Thanks!

Hey Tracker1, when the Huron enemies attack, have you been giving them a shadow card? I read in the rule insert that they do not get shadow cards nor attack during the combat phase, but when they attack outside the combat phase, are you supposed to give them shadow cards?? If so, what if Mugash has been shuffled into the encounter deck as a result of timing out and then he is dealt as a shadow card, does he go automatically to the staging area, or are you out of luck and have to wait until the encounter deck gets re-shuffled? I wish it was more clear on the cards, but I thought I would ask you since you have some experience playing the quest. Thanks!

Enemies that attack out of combat phase will get shadow cards.

jjeagle likes this

Finally beat three after heavy boarding. I'm wondering if my deck might work better if I just let him get away and go in after him.

I think scenario 3 is pretty difficult for solo,  it must be easier with more players, since first reports made it seem really easy.  Those trees can really beat you down if your deck is not questing fast enough to make it through, two of them have some pretty nasty forced effects.  I like how their attacks and or damage they deal are out of the combat phase, which really changes up some strategy.  I don't mind the one that raises threat, it's the other 2 to watch out for.   Very cool quest with a very different feel to what were used to.

Wow.  Night meet day.  I went back to my base build* which is built for the long game and then deliberately stalled the first four turns to build up my hand and resources.  Mugash went back into the encounter deck and then I went after him when I was ready.  Edge of Fangorn stayed in the staging area the entire game and while it did take a long time, the quest was never really in doubt.  By the time I found Mugash I had all my attachments and allies in play and it was trivial to quest out in one turn.

*I did add Shadow of the Past in case Mugash came out as a Shadow card.

Yup. Ran it again the same way. Took* a very long time as Mugash came down as a Shadow and I didn't have Shadow of the Past in hand, but I felt in control the whole way. So the third quest may be the easiest of the three after all, especially if you don't play for points. There's just something missing here as basically you can attack the trees, but they can't attack back. Also, ONI stage three when you reveal five cards and choose one a lot of the cards are a complete whiff since you aren't in the questing phase anymore.

Still, the first two quests are good right?

*SWIDT?

A duel it is narsil!

I changed up my decks again quite heavily and managed to beat the first and third quests a few times each. Tried a few other older quests with the new decks as well and had much better wins then before. Needless to say this made me very happy indeed ^^! Still trying with the second quest however... I almost aways cop take cover and hunting orcs surging together in the one turn =( very nasty. I'm surviving alot longer though.

I can finally read this thread now that I've finished all three quests. Spoilers ahead!

We played 2-player.  The first and second quests were moderately challenging.  The first was very "standard" for recent quests, it's just a flood of enemies, and if you can take control of the staging area you've pretty much got it made.  We beat it with a Bard/Yew Bow deck paired with a Dunhere deck at 22 threat each for a staging area attack strategy.  

The second quest gave us the most trouble.  We always play blind the first time, so we went in with our Bard/Dunhere decks and got choked by locations.  Went back to the drawing board, put together a tried and true pair of questing decks and the same thing happened.  That time we were just breaking even during questing, which is enough to ensure you lose the game by round 3.  Then we just went overkill by throwing in Eowyn and Glorfindel (replacing Frodo first, then Bilbo).  Once we got a couple of cards down and survived the first two rounds, the rest was very easy.  Mugash was waaaay at the bottom of my out-of-play deck, but we never felt threatened, it just took a long time to find him.

The third quest we won playing blind on our first attempt.  First round travel to Edge of Fangorn, second round clear it and claim Mugash.  Third round finished the first stage and went on to stage 2, then quest to victory on round 4.  Those Huorns were certainly ominous and menacing, but the time bomb never went off and we won very quickly.

Fun quests, To Catch and Orc definitely was my favorite despite early frustration.  But it did harken back to the days of old -- once you get set up, you can really own the board.  It just gets the most points for uniqueness.  The third quest looks like it has potential: when things go wrong, I think they probably go pretty wrong.  It didn't happen to us, so I'm not sure... was very easy on the first attempt.

Karlson and PsychoRocka like this

We played that if you quest successfully, you increase the time counter regardless of whether tokens were going to be placed on the quest card.  It definitely made a difference-- I think there was a moment in the early game when we would have had the counter time out.  Once we got set up, though, we owned the board and the counter was a non-issue as long as we could deal with When Revealed or engage effects that give you the choice to decrease it or do something else nasty.

PsychoRocka likes this

Does anybody know why there are shadow effects on some of the cards in the Into Fangorn quest?  Since all the enemies have Hinder and the rules say an enemy with Hinder is not dealt a shadow card, I can't think of any reason why shadow effect text should be included on any of the cards.  Am I missing somethere here?

Does anybody know why there are shadow effects on some of the cards in the Into Fangorn quest?  Since all the enemies have Hinder and the rules say an enemy with Hinder is not dealt a shadow card, I can't think of any reason why shadow effect text should be included on any of the cards.  Am I missing somethere here?

the encounter set could be used for other quests in the cycle and (i don't have my cards handy to reference) but there is a treachery that makes the trees attack - i just can't recall if they get shadows based on the treachery.

Edited by Dain Ironfoot

The rules say "When engaged with a player, an enemy with the Hinder keyword is not dealt a shadow card and does not make an attack during the combat phase".

I think this is ambiguous:

- it could mean that they aren't dealt shadow cards full stop - as rborkowitz said

- but it could mean [this is how I played it] that they aren't dealt shadow cards in the COMBAT phase, but that you would deal them at other times (when the Huorns attack because of treachery, or at the start of the resource phase for the Angry Huorn)

Actually, on reflection, not ambiguous: it's pretty clear that they will get shadow cards when they attack at other times.

Edited by jjeagle

yeah cool, thats how i've been approaching it too, beating the other way would be insane.

Well done nonetheless, very hard quest in my opinion.

As I said in the rules thread, it IS beatable the harder way - I've done it.

And it's clear from the answer I got from Caleb that the "harder" ruling was intentionally designed that way - it wasn't a mistake or an oversight on their part.

the encounter set could be used for other quests in the cycle and (i don't have my cards handy to reference) but there is a treachery that makes the trees attack - i just can't recall if they get shadows based on the treachery.

Shadow cards would be dealt for the treachery card, there is also one tree that does attack during resource phase, so it would also get a shadow card then.

jjeagle likes this

Speaking from a solo standpoint only, I found that the quest was really hard if I tried to keep Mugash from escaping into Fangorn.  This meant travelling to the Edge of Fangorn and adding a Huorn to the staging area.  This caused extra pressure early.  Playing the quest contrarian and just letting him escape and then tracking him down later made it much easier.

Actually, on reflection, not ambiguous: it's pretty clear that they will get shadow cards when they attack at other times.

agreed; they have established the word "CANNOT" is absolute. So if they are choosing NOT to use "cannot," then they have deliberately left open the ability for huorns to get shadow cards.