Sign in to follow this  
OgreBane99

Double Aim Maneuvers

It's legal to spend a maneuver to Aim, take two strain and spend another maneuver to Aim, gaining two boost dice, and then make a shot, right?

Seems to make sense in normal personal scale combat.

But what about starship combat?  Can a gunner do the same thing, suffering two strain to double aim and add two boost dice to his gunnery check?

Sounds entirely reasonable to do it. They're focusing with all of their concentration at the expense of everything else. The people inside of a ship would certainly experience strain in the heat of combat, even if the ships themselves are the armour and weapons.

There was an order 66 broadcast where one of the developes said that many of the skills/talents/maneuvers can crossover to gunnery as well,within reason. For example they singled out sniper shot as one you cant use (as planetary range bands are vastly different from personal, so a bit of common sense should prevail.

Sounds entirely reasonable to do it. They're focusing with all of their concentration at the expense of everything else. The people inside of a ship would certainly experience strain in the heat of combat, even if the ships themselves are the armour and weapons.

Exactly.  Stressing yourself out every time it came time to take the shot would wear on someone, so the added strain each time makes complete sense.

There was an order 66 broadcast where one of the developes said that many of the skills/talents/maneuvers can crossover to gunnery as well,within reason. For example they singled out sniper shot as one you cant use (as planetary range bands are vastly different from personal, so a bit of common sense should prevail.

Sniper shot not being allowed in the planetary scale?  If I recall correctly, the ship attachment Advanced Targeting Computer lists the sniper shot talent as one of its modification options... typo?

Edit: pg 269. Innate Talent Sniper Shot.

Edited by Tenrousei

Did they clarify whether or not they simply meant that having it on a character didn't make it apply to Gunnery as opposed to a modified Advanced Targeting Array's modification for the Innate Talent?

Edited by Chortles

Sniper shot not being allowed in the planetary scale?  If I recall correctly, the ship attachment Advanced Targeting Computer lists the sniper shot talent as one of its modification options... typo?

Edit: pg 269. Innate Talent Sniper Shot.

Yeah, they got a bit caught with that one. If you listen to the second Dev Q&A podcast with Order 66, it sounds as if that might have been a mistake that wasn't caught.

If this came up in my campaign I'd make it as simple as saying that you can use the Sniper Shot that the enhancement mod gives you, but you can't apply the Sniper Shot talent when using planetary scale weapons since it's meant for character scale fights.

This was answered by one of the developers over in this thread.

The ruling was:

Q. You said the sniper shot talent doesn't work in starship/vehicle combat, however the Advanced Targeting Array attachment has Innate Talent (Sniper Shot) as a Modification Option, is this correct?

"To answer your other questions; generally the Sniper Shot Talent shouldn't be used in Starship combat, but in that particular instance, it can be. I apologize that it's not called out, though, I can certainly see the confusion. However, yes, the idea is that in general, the Sniper Shot Talent shouldn't be used with starship scale weapons (because the ranges are that much bigger) but that mod should let you if you get it. I should add, if you'd like your players to use Sniper Shot in Starship Combat, it shouldn't break the game to let them do so. It does decrease the viability of starfighter dogfights, however (when the PC can shoot their opponents before they get in range, it may take some of the challenge out of dogfighting), so just be aware."