Sign in to follow this  
CatmanSGA2

Starting ship.

Under character creation, it says, when choosing a starting ship for the group, to choose one whose value is not to exceed 120,000 credits.  My question is, if you choose a ship whose base cost is less than that, say a YT-1300 for 100,000, can you then use the "left over" difference (20,000 credits) to purchase mods/upgrades for the ship? Like juicing up the engines a bit, or adding smuggling compartments, that kind of thing.

My solution was to ignore it. If you as the GM have a specific ship in mind, give them that. If you're going to let them choose for themselves, make a short list of suitable candidates and have them pick one.

I suggest you not let them keep any "leftover" money. That would horribly imbalance your starting game. Upgrades should be painstakingly earned, not given out gift-wrapped. But that's just my opinion.

Under character creation, it says, when choosing a starting ship for the group, to choose one whose value is not to exceed 120,000 credits.  My question is, if you choose a ship whose base cost is less than that, say a YT-1300 for 100,000, can you then use the "left over" difference (20,000 credits) to purchase mods/upgrades for the ship? Like juicing up the engines a bit, or adding smuggling compartments, that kind of thing.

Per the RAW, nope.  If you choose a cheaper ship (like the YT-1300), then you're out those extra 20,000 credits.

That said, I agree with Krieger22 in that if the GM has a specific ship in mind (like say one of the many entries from the Equipment Labs: Exploring the Galactic Fringe series of articles on the GSA), then the GM should go ahead and let the players have that ship, even if it costs more than 120,000 credits.

To be honest, when I wrote most of those, the 120,000 credit limit wasn't in place since the core rulebook hadn't been released.  If it was, I would have made a few of the ships (such as the YT-1930 and YV-100) significantly less expensive than listed in their write-ups.

For what it's worth, CatmanSGA, AoR seems to disregard EotE's 120,000 limit -- the beta book allows either a stationary base of operations (and 1,500 extra starting credits per player), a Lambda-class T-4a shuttle (140,000 credits, Restricted and Rarity 6) or enough BTL-S3 Y-wing two-seaters (80,000 credits and Rarity 4 each) to carry all of the player characters, though this may be due to "an Alliance party"'s differing starting circumstances.

I'm of the personal opinion that the starter ship should be entirely in the GMs hand and should just match the kind of stories your group wants to tell rather than an arbitrary value. The arbitrary value I'm sure is of use to a lot of newer GMs to get an idea of "this is baseline".

Edited by Emperor Norton

I'm of the personal opinion that the starter ship should be entirely in the GMs hand and should just match the kind of stories your group wants to tell rather than an arbitrary value. The arbitrary value I'm sure is of use to a lot of newer GMs to get an idea of "this is baseline".

That was my idea as well, the rules seem to be as new GM and player friendly as any I've found, and I saw it more as, "Until you get a handle on combat and ship use, stick with these good ships with fewer rules."

For what it's worth, CatmanSGA, AoR seems to disregard EotE's 120,000 limit -- the beta book allows either a stationary base of operations (and 1,500 extra starting credits per player), a Lambda-class T-4a shuttle (140,000 credits, Restricted and Rarity 6) or enough BTL-S3 Y-wing two-seaters (80,000 credits and Rarity 4 each) to carry all of the player characters, though this may be due to "an Alliance party"'s differing starting circumstances.

I think the starting circumstances most likely. The Rebel Alliance would have more resources available than a group of independent smugglers/criminals.

The ship's purpose is narrative.  So... what will they have fun with?  What will best help them enjoy your adventures?  After that its really the GM's choice about what to do.

Part of adventuring is finding a way to earn upgrades for a ship. So if you let them have a souped up ship, it kind of takes some of that fun out of the game.

The game doesn't mention that many ships are available used.  Other games had them listed used at about a quarter of the price. So there is a lot of latitude here.  If you give them something well used, I'd crank up the maintenance costs.  You wouldn't believe what forward buffer panels cost...

This is how it is running in our campaign.

We have yet to "acquire" a ship of our own.  Had the Kryat Fang long enough to get us to our next destination.  Trex retook possession after a nice little scuffle leaving us stranded on a small space station filled with pirates.  We were then "press-ganged" (actually took the job that was offered seeing as we figured that they were going to blow the station after they left) on to a ship.  We rode with them long enough to help a science vessel that they were trying to hijack survive the assault.  Getting away and making some friends who offered us a ride to a VERY backwater world that they were headed to. 

We still have yet to claim a ship of our own.  We will eventually, but our GM likes to keep us poor.  We work for a roof over our head at this point.  We are fine with that as well.  Plenty of jobs and things to keep us busy where we are at.  Considering that our idea is to run this campaign for 3 years plus, we are in no rush to get a ship at this point.

Anyway, whatever fits the story should be fine and completely up to the GM.  But remember, keeping a group "hungry" is what keeps them coming back.

Edited by Dex Vulen

The system doesn't expect players to keep the "left over" credits, and you probably shouldn't allow them to.

Funny story related to this, my one players backstory includes him stealing a shuttle from pirates he was working for, then selling it at a Used Ships lot, using the credits to buy the groups ship which was probably also a stolen product. All great story stuff, but then we start the first session and something money related comes up.

He mentions offhandedly that he has 40,000 credits he can spend on upgrades to his newly acquired ship, basically the difference in price between the shuttle and the YT-1300. Note we never discussed just how much he paid for the YT-1300 and how much he sold the Shuttle for, he just presumed it was as written. I quickly explained to him that it would be game breaking for him to have 40k in credits, and the difference in credits could be explained as getting his YT-1300 in running order.

Moral of the story, always check the credit portion of your players character sheets. Second moral of the story, when making a character for someones game, put in your backstory how you stole a Star Destroyer then sold it so you are now a billionaire.

I think I misspoke when I said "Mods."  I was actually meaning attachments. I was asking because, if your players are a smuggling crew, then it would make sense to have a smuggling compartment or two, maybe an extra weapon here, or a bit faster sublight engines. Nothing game-breaking, like a hyperdrive that makes the Millennium Falcon's look slow, or enough weapons to outgun a Star Destroyer.

When we started our campaign, the GM let us take the costs and stats for the YT-1300 and buy attachments with the 20k. So we bought up the hyperdrive and the engines and i think put a point in shields. Not game-changing or anything but really fun to start out with a really good ship and make comments about her "being the fastest ship in this sector at least". But I ( as the owner of the ship) has a lot of obligation Favor towards a crime lord on Nar Shadaa.

By the looks of it, it looks like this. Though classified as a light/medium freighter and about 45m in length swtor___jedi_starship_png_by_doctoranoni

(But by now, it's a bit strange though, we've maxed out the shield attachment mods and bought quad-lasers and installed two proton torpedo launchers, but we gonna need them after killing off Tyber Zann)

Edited by Poseur

When I can get my hands on AoR I'm absolutely starting my group with hyperdrive equipped Z-95s, one each and ignoring the standing rules on what to give them. I'm going Wraith Squadron style Commando Fighter squadron, only earlier in the timeline.

Hey, the book even says that if you've got a better idea for your group that fits the campaign, then go with that instead of the official suggestions.  Which after all, are just that, suggestions.

This is how it is running in our campaign.

We have yet to "acquire" a ship of our own.  Had the Kryat Fang long enough to get us to our next destination.  Trex retook possession after a nice little scuffle leaving us stranded on a small space station filled with pirates.  We were then "press-ganged" (actually took the job that was offered seeing as we figured that they were going to blow the station after they left) on to a ship.  We rode with them long enough to help a science vessel that they were trying to hijack survive the assault.  Getting away and making some friends who offered us a ride to a VERY backwater world that they were headed to. 

We still have yet to claim a ship of our own.  We will eventually, but our GM likes to keep us poor.  We work for a roof over our head at this point.  We are fine with that as well.  Plenty of jobs and things to keep us busy where we are at.  Considering that our idea is to run this campaign for 3 years plus, we are in no rush to get a ship at this point.

Anyway, whatever fits the story should be fine and completely up to the GM.  But remember, keeping a group "hungry" is what keeps them coming back.

Sounds like an interesting story, and a really clever way to transition your player's chars from the beginner game and into their own.

Hey, the book even says that if you've got a better idea for your group that fits the campaign, then go with that instead of the official suggestions.  Which after all, are just that, suggestions.

And of course, after they adventure with their Z-95s for a while, as is a standing tradition for playing pilots during this era: Hey look its time to help those Incom guys defect... (Seriously, how many groups do you think have played that mission out in their home games...)

When I can get my hands on AoR I'm absolutely starting my group with hyperdrive equipped Z-95s, one each and ignoring the standing rules on what to give them. I'm going Wraith Squadron style Commando Fighter squadron, only earlier in the timeline.

Wraith Squadron is best squadron.

"Yub yub, Commander."

In fairness, by that metric everything about the CRBs are "suggestions"... but at least it's a nice, sound suggestion to start out on the basis of. And Emperor Norton, keep in mind that you can also offer Y-wings in the interim!

Heh, I've been promising my friends a Wraith Squadron game for years. They're more excited for AoR than I am. Such a perfect story hook for a game.

When we started our campaign, the GM let us take the costs and stats for the YT-1300 and buy attachments with the 20k. So we bought up the hyperdrive and the engines and i think put a point in shields. Not game-changing or anything but really fun to start out with a really good ship and make comments about her "being the fastest ship in this sector at least". But I ( as the owner of the ship) has a lot of obligation Favor towards a crime lord on Nar Shadaa.

By the looks of it, it looks like this. Though classified as a light/medium freighter and about 45m in length swtor___jedi_starship_png_by_doctoranoni

(But by now, it's a bit strange though, we've maxed out the shield attachment mods and bought quad-lasers and installed two proton torpedo launchers, but we gonna need them after killing off Tyber Zann)

Poseur, what ship is that a picture of? I know you said YT-1300 but I just don't think so. ;)

I love the look of that ship. Where is the art from?