Talo secura

Jury Rigged and Armor

Hey guys, i have a question about the talent "jury rigged".
This one led our group to several discussions and we couldn't find any exact explanation in the core rule book.

Is it possible to upgrade the defense rating (ranged or melee) of an armor (e.g. padded armor)  from "0" to "1" with the talent "jury rigged"? Since the book does make a difference between the values "-" and "0" and according to the core rulebook padded armor (e.g.) has the value 0 on defense, i think someone should be able to do so. My friends think this upgrade would be too strong and not physical explainable. Can anyone help out?

No real opinion based on the rules as I don't have a book handy, but I could see someone attaching plates to it to give you armor. Those plates would have some cost, and be time consuming, and probably fairly easy to knock loose (requiring frequent repairs). It probably would be bulkier than just buying a suit of armor with 1 defense and look ugly and conspicuous.

Yes, you can upgrade from 0 to 1.  It doesn't say upgrade ranged or melee defense if defense is greater than or equal to 1

Really, it's not about mechanically adding anything to the armor, because as the description says it only applies to you. Physically adding plates or some sort of makeshift armor weave would make it effective regardless of who is wearing the armor. You are custom fitting it to your character to maximize the item's effectiveness.  

In the end, you paid the experience for the talent which allows you to upgrade a piece of your equipment. If they don't like it, too bad.  Nothing really to discuss.  Nowhere does it say the upgrade it up to the GM or the group to approve. 

Edited by GalenParatus

Is it possible to upgrade the defense rating (ranged or melee) of an armor (e.g. padded armor)  from "0" to "1" with the talent "jury rigged"? Since the book does make a difference between the values "-" and "0" and according to the core rulebook padded armor (e.g.) has the value 0 on defense, i think someone should be able to do so. My friends think this upgrade would be too strong and not physical explainable. Can anyone help out?

The description for Jury-rigged (p. 138) seems to explain this: "...or increase armor's ranged or melee defense by one." So yes, it could be used to increase padded armor's defense rating from 0 to 1.

Edit: Ninja'ed by GalenParatus.

Edited by Ineti

Hey guys, i have a question about the talent "jury rigged".

This one led our group to several discussions and we couldn't find any exact explanation in the core rule book.

As others noted, it's perfectly within the rules.

However, I disagree with your friend on it being "too powerful," as a lone setback die vs. either melee or ranged attacks really isn't all that great, as the setback die has a 1 in 3 chance of rolling a Failure or a 1 in 3 chance of rolling a Threat.

Also, from reading the talent text on page 138, it seems the intent is that you can only "jury-rig" a piece of equipment once to gain one specific benefit.  So you couldn't jury-rig a suit of armor to provide a +1 to both melee & ranged defense, or a blaster to have both a +1 to damage and a -1 to Crit Rating, even if you had two ranks of Jury-Rigged.

Also, from reading the talent text on page 138, it seems the intent is that you can only "jury-rig" a piece of equipment once to gain one specific benefit.  So you couldn't jury-rig a suit of armor to provide a +1 to both melee & ranged defense, or a blaster to have both a +1 to damage and a -1 to Crit Rating, even if you had two ranks of Jury-Rigged.

That's how I read it as well--two ranks of Jury Rigged allows you to jury-rig two different items; not give one item two different enhancements.

If you have more than one rank of jury rig can you add more defense?

No. You can't use jury rigged more than once on the same item. And since any one character can't wear more than one form of armor at a time, you can't use jury rigged to get more than one defense benefit.

EDIT: Unless you happen to use one rank of Jury Rigged on armor and another rank on a personal deflector shield, I guess.

First, thanks for the quick answers! It seems to be clear now.

But where exactly does it say you can't "jury-rig" the same item twice with 2 ranks of jury rigged? Don't have a book right now.

But where exactly does it say you can't "jury-rig" the same item twice with 2 ranks of jury rigged? Don't have a book right now.

The description for the talent reads "The character chooses one personal weapon or piece of armor per rank of Jury Rigged." While the description doesn't explicitly say "you can't jury-rig the same item twice" I think the intent is pretty clear. YMMV, I guess.

The description for the talent reads "The character chooses one personal weapon or piece of armor per rank of Jury Rigged." While the description doesn't explicitly say "you can't jury-rig the same item twice" I think the intent is pretty clear. YMMV, I guess.

Yea since it didn't specifically say you couldn't my GM allowed me to use 2 ranks of jury rig on one weapon. My GM said you could just choose the same item over and over if I wanted.

I may have to agree with you just because my damage output is far superior than anyone else in my party. Currently I do 19 damage with a Heavy Blaster rifle. When Auto-fire procs it's downright broken. 

It says "One item per rank of Jury Rigged."  That means if you had 2 ranks, you could pick 2 items.  If it said you could improve an item one time per rank of Jury Rigged, you could pick two separate items or one item twice.  But not both.

If you allowed that, Light Repeating Blasters could crit on a single advantage.  That is probably dangerous.