OggDude

Another Character Generator

I've deleted all the files and directories from the 1.1.5.0 version as explained in the pdf document ; then I ran a manual install from DropBox

Hey Oggdude.

I downloaded and installed the new version. (Manual Install from Google) Now when I click "Character Generator" from the launcher it just flickers but doesn't load anything. The same thing happens when I try to load it without the launcher.

I'm off to work for the night, but I can try to add more info Tuesday.

Edited by Grimmshade

OggDude, I've been using your program for a while now and I like it very much. Thank you for all the hard work you've invested to make GM's job so much easier. 

I have a quick question about starships. I noticed that i can't change the statistics of a starship like a YT-2400 once I select it. I can only upgrade it with modifications. I did an export of the .xml file for the starship, but i was unable to modify it the way i wanted to and import it.

Is there anyway to modify statistics fields like speed, handling etc, without having to add the modifications?

There's two different concepts. The first is the concept of a vehicle definition.  The second is the concept of adding an instance of such a vehicle to your character, encounter, or group.  In other words, the YT-2400 is a vehicle definition.  The "Flying Wookie", a YT-2400 with an upgraded laser turret, concussion missile, smuggling compartments, five crates of spice, 3 hull damage, and belonging to Bonzo the Smuggler and his intrepid band of misfits and troublemakers, is an instance of the YT-2400 owned by Bonzo :)

So... if you want to have a special definition of a YT-2400, or any vehicle, then you need to create a new definition using the data editor, then add an instance of it to your character, group, etc.  The easiest way of doing that in your case is to run the data editor, click on Vehicles, select the YT-2400, then click "Copy".  Rename it to something else ("Rusted YT-2400", "YT-2400 Converted to a Winnebago", etc), change the key, then modify anything else you want and save it.  Don't forget to create an image and silhouette for it as well, or just copy the existing YT-2400 image and silhouette and rename them to the new key.

Hey Oggdude.

I downloaded and installed the new version. (Manual Install from Google) Now when I click "Character Generator" from the launcher it just flickers but doesn't load anything. The same thing happens when I try to load it without the launcher.

I'm off to work for the night, but I can try to add more info Tuesday.

Try copying it to a new directory and see if that helps.

I've deleted all the files and directories from the 1.1.5.0 version as explained in the pdf document ; then I ran a manual install from DropBox

The Character Generator now works.

Thanks !

So I just found this and I have to say, it looks great!

However, I'm having trouble figuring out how to take extra obligation for whatever benefits... if I select my starting size as 5 it seems to work, but at 10 nothing is selectable even with the "ignore obligation starting size" option checked.

I have the following under Options.

Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook - Core

Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook - Core

Age of Rebellion Beta Rulebook

Age of Rebellion Rulebook

Should there be two AoR Rulebook Options?

There should just be the core source and the beta source.  More than likely, you have custom data with that other source.  I just checked and that source no longer exists in the installed product.

I'm having the same issue. I checked out my custom data and I do indeed have <Source>Age of Rebellion Rulebook</Source> in there. The thing is, though, that is appearing on items from the EotE books. For motivations, at least, it seems that all of the EotE motivations and their corresponding SpecificMotivation have been set to the old AoR source.

Not sure if this is a bug from and old version or in the new one. Either way, it should be relatively easy to fix the data on my end, but I figured I'd raise it up in case you want to investigate.

Edit: I just confirmed it is motivations only for me. I just went through the data in the data editor and did the remove and keep description flow and that worked fine. It's probably worth noting that those were originally just marked as DescOnly, so there was definitely a bug at some point.

Edited by ddbrown30

So I just found this and I have to say, it looks great!

However, I'm having trouble figuring out how to take extra obligation for whatever benefits... if I select my starting size as 5 it seems to work, but at 10 nothing is selectable even with the "ignore obligation starting size" option checked.

Search for "I can’t figure out how obligation and duty options are supposed to work" in the FAQ.  I did a whole write up on this subject.

I have the following under Options.

Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook - Core

Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook - Core

Age of Rebellion Beta Rulebook

Age of Rebellion Rulebook

Should there be two AoR Rulebook Options?

There should just be the core source and the beta source.  More than likely, you have custom data with that other source.  I just checked and that source no longer exists in the installed product.

I'm having the same issue. I checked out my custom data and I do indeed have <Source>Age of Rebellion Rulebook</Source> in there. The thing is, though, that is appearing on items from the EotE books. For motivations, at least, it seems that all of the EotE motivations and their corresponding SpecificMotivation have been set to the old AoR source.

Not sure if this is a bug from and old version or in the new one. Either way, it should be relatively easy to fix the data on my end, but I figured I'd raise it up in case you want to investigate.

Edit: I just confirmed it is motivations only for me. I just went through the data in the data editor and did the remove and keep description flow and that worked fine. It's probably worth noting that those were originally just marked as DescOnly, so there was definitely a bug at some point.

One of these days, I'm going to have to redesign how I do specific motivations.  They really need to be designed like, for instance, specs and talents, where specs reference talents in another table.  If specific motivations were separate from motivations, the "desc only" would work properly.  As it is now, if you edit the description of a specific motivation, the whole motivation turns into a custom item, which could overwrite future changes in the data.

I've noticed that your Character Generator doesn't allow you to go to 7 in attributes such as through the use of Cybernetics.

Is this intentional or is there a way to get it to go to 7?

You can purchase up to 5, use Dedication to get to 6, then use cybernetics to get to 7.  It's all per CRB.

You're right I'm sorry I wasn't clear, I meant I have 5 brawn, I buy Power Armor and I install the Brawn Mod onto the Power Armor, Shouldn't my Brawn Rating now be 7? However the Character Generator still lists it as 6.

Assuming you have a strength-enhancing cybernetic limb, yes.  Be sure the "hold" the limb, though, to get its benefit.

Are cybernetics the only way to increase a stat to 7?  I thought you could increase a stat to 7 through the use of any items.

Such as Stim Application(Temporary) or Power Armor or the Strength Enhancing Armor Attachment.

I've noticed that your Character Generator doesn't allow you to go to 7 in attributes such as through the use of Cybernetics.

Is this intentional or is there a way to get it to go to 7?

You can purchase up to 5, use Dedication to get to 6, then use cybernetics to get to 7.  It's all per CRB.

You're right I'm sorry I wasn't clear, I meant I have 5 brawn, I buy Power Armor and I install the Brawn Mod onto the Power Armor, Shouldn't my Brawn Rating now be 7? However the Character Generator still lists it as 6.

Assuming you have a strength-enhancing cybernetic limb, yes.  Be sure the "hold" the limb, though, to get its benefit.

Are cybernetics the only way to increase a stat to 7?  I thought you could increase a stat to 7 through the use of any items.

Such as Stim Application(Temporary) or Power Armor or the Strength Enhancing Armor Attachment.

EotE CRB, page 92:

During character creation, no characteristic can be increased higher than 5.  During the course of play, no characteristic can be increased higher than 6.

EotE CRB, page 173:

The combination of purchased increases and increases provided by cybernetics can increase a character's skill or characteristic one step above the normal maximum (seven for characteristics, six for skills).

So, the highest a characteristic can get is 6 through any non-cybernetic means, and the highest a skill can get is 5 through any non-cybernetic means.  Cybernetics can increase both of these by one more, if the replacement has a characteristic- or skill-boosting mod.

OggDude: Great software! I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but I think I found a bug.  Every time I try to add the Strength Enhancing System to Laminate armor, I get an "Unhandled Exception" error.

I just tried it and it worked for me.  Can you send me your character with the unmodified armor?  I'll see if I can replicate the bug.

Just made my first Character with this. Decided to pick up Firespray and notice that although it had Hyperdrive it missed Navicomputer. (modified Firespray in data editor to include it)

Lucky I noticed or this would have been very short trip  :P

Just made my first Character with this. Decided to pick up Firespray and notice that although it had Hyperdrive it missed Navicomputer. (modified Firespray in data editor to include it)

Lucky I noticed or this would have been very short trip  :P

You're the first person in a year to notice that :)  I've now installed a navicomputer on the Firespray.

If OggDude's excellent program were out on iPad or Mac, I could finally move my PC off my desk, it's all I use it for :)

Install chrome on your PC, plug it in on your network somewhere in a closet or something and use Chrome remote desktop to access it.

I have a quick feature request.

Would it be possible to move the cache file to a local temp location and away from the Data Folder.  It can be a pain sometimes when you have the Data Folder in a shared location and more than one person is trying to access it (not to mention having to sync it).

Thanks again for the most excellent tools!

If OggDude's excellent program were out on iPad or Mac, I could finally move my PC off my desk, it's all I use it for :)

Install chrome on your PC, plug it in on your network somewhere in a closet or something and use Chrome remote desktop to access it.

I definitely have Chrome on my PC. I'll have to look into that!

Hi and thanks for this great application.

This new version hangs when trying the char editor (downloaded from google drive, chrome blocks me the dropbox donwload as "malicious", tho it is not):

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01: swchargen.exe
  Problem Signature 02: 1.2.0.0
  Problem Signature 03: 53d6849d
  Problem Signature 04: SWCharGenCtlLib
  Problem Signature 05: 1.2.0.0
  Problem Signature 06: 53d6848a
  Problem Signature 07: 49a
  Problem Signature 08: 73
  Problem Signature 09: System.NullReferenceException
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID: 3082
  Additional Information 1: 0a9e
  Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3: 0a9e
  Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Deleted all forlder content before updating. Also, just in case, I deleted the cache. 

Hi and thanks for this great application.

This new version hangs when trying the char editor (downloaded from google drive, chrome blocks me the dropbox donwload as "malicious", tho it is not):

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01: swchargen.exe
  Problem Signature 02: 1.2.0.0
  Problem Signature 03: 53d6849d
  Problem Signature 04: SWCharGenCtlLib
  Problem Signature 05: 1.2.0.0
  Problem Signature 06: 53d6848a
  Problem Signature 07: 49a
  Problem Signature 08: 73
  Problem Signature 09: System.NullReferenceException
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID: 3082
  Additional Information 1: 0a9e
  Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3: 0a9e
  Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Deleted all forlder content before updating. Also, just in case, I deleted the cache. 

Is this from the web install, or the ZIP?