OggDude

Another Character Generator

I've noticed that your Character Generator doesn't allow you to go to 7 in attributes such as through the use of Cybernetics.

Is this intentional or is there a way to get it to go to 7?

You can purchase up to 5, use Dedication to get to 6, then use cybernetics to get to 7.  It's all per CRB.

You're right I'm sorry I wasn't clear, I meant I have 5 brawn, I buy Power Armor and I install the Brawn Mod onto the Power Armor, Shouldn't my Brawn Rating now be 7? However the Character Generator still lists it as 6.

Assuming you have a strength-enhancing cybernetic limb, yes.  Be sure the "hold" the limb, though, to get its benefit.

Is it possible to buy Signature Abilities?

Yup, signature abilities are supported.  In order for them to show up, you need to have a supported career (Hired Gun or Explorer), and you need to have the prerequisite talents bought at the bottom of a career spec tree.  Once you have that, the signature abilities button will show up.

How do you add weapon qualities in the data editor?  I am not talking about adding existing qualities to weapons, I am talking about making new qualities.  Am I missing it someplace?

The data editor doesn't support adding qualities because a "quality" is defined as a special kind of item descriptor, and most item descriptors have code behind them, so it wouldn't do any good to add another one :)  In general, item descriptor keys are actually referenced in code to perform certain functions when creating or printing characters, which is why I don't have them as being editable.

However, if you really need to add a different quality from what's in the CRBs, and assuming that this quality does not need any code for support, then create a file called "DataCustom\ItemDescriptors.xml" in your data directory and load it into a text editor.  Then add the following to this file:

<ItemDescriptors>
  <ItemDescriptor>
    <Key>WHATEVER</Key>
    <Name>Whatever Quality</Name>
    <Description></Description>
    <Custom>AddedItem</Custom>
    <Type>Weapon</Type>
    <ModDesc>Whatever {0}</ModDesc>
    <QualDesc>Whatever {0}</QualDesc>
    <IsBoolean>true</IsBoolean>
    <IsQuality>true</IsQuality>
  </ItemDescriptor>
</ItemDescriptors>

Replace "Whatever" with the name of your quality.  Make sure it's different from any existing quality.  Be sure to specify whether this is a weapon or armor quality, and whether or not it's a boolean quality.  If it doesn't have a count, like "Stun Setting", then "IsBoolean" should be "true".  If it does have a count, like "Accurate 2", then this should be "false", or just removed.  Then save the file.  The next time you run the data editor or GM Tools, the new quality should be available.

Edited by OggDude

Awesome work this is an amazing App!

BTW: Found a spelling error while filling the blanks on talents. There is an unnecessary E in 'slight' on the talent 'slight of mind'.

This is actually correct :)  It's a play on the term "Sleight of hand".  Here's the definition of "sleight":

sleight

noun literary

the use of dexterity or cunning, especially so as to deceive.

Found it, thanks!

There is still a problem, however, which is also related to the new way that sources are handled.  If you select all sources, then he next time the char gen is run, signature abilities won't show up until you click "Options", then "Close".  The reason is that all sources selected means that the source filter is blank.  Unfortunately, when I added the "Core" logic, I forgot to check for an empty filter.  This causes the two core sources to be added, which in turn means that the signature abilities aren't available since one of the sources isn't "Enter the Unknown" or "Dangerous Covenants" :)  More than likely, nothing else will show up for any other source as well, except for the core.  Deselecting a single source will cause it to work correctly.

Anyway, I modified the routine so that required "Core" sources will only be added if the filter has something in it.  If it's empty, nothing is added, since empty means "use everything".  I'll get this additional fix out tomorrow sometime.

Oh ok, my bad. was looking at the begging for XP pdf of the talent trees. suppose I should have got off my lazy butt and went downstairs to grab the book to double check it, lol.

hmm is it showing up in red in the character builder because i edited it?

Edited by Sahugani

Oh ok, my bad. was looking at the begging for XP pdf of the talent trees. suppose I should have got off my lazy butt and went downstairs to grab the book to double check it, lol.

hmm is it showing up in red in the character builder because i edited it?

Red talents are active, while blue talents are passive, just like in the CRB.  If you hover over the title of the talent, it goes into more detail.  For instance, for "Active" talents, it'll say what sort of activity is required (incidental, maneuver, or action).  It'll also tell you if the talent is ranked or not.

Speaking of which... "Sleight of Mind" is supposed to be a ranked talent.  However, it's set to unranked.  So, you managed to find a bug :)  That'll also be fixed tomorrow.

Edited by OggDude

I have the following under Options.

Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook - Core

Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook - Core

Age of Rebellion Beta Rulebook

Age of Rebellion Rulebook

Should there be two AoR Rulebook Options?

OggDude, I think that's what was happening to me. I had all the sources checked.

Then just to QA it, I went in and un-checked one of the sources (I don't use the Unofficial Species Menageries but it doesn't seem to remember my setting for it and I find myself having to un-check it often.)

Once I did that, the Signature Ability started showing up and I thought I had just been missing it the entire time :)

I have the following under Options.

Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook - Core

Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook - Core

Age of Rebellion Beta Rulebook

Age of Rebellion Rulebook

Should there be two AoR Rulebook Options?

There should just be the core source and the beta source.  More than likely, you have custom data with that other source.  I just checked and that source no longer exists in the installed product.

OggDude, I think that's what was happening to me. I had all the sources checked.

Then just to QA it, I went in and un-checked one of the sources (I don't use the Unofficial Species Menageries but it doesn't seem to remember my setting for it and I find myself having to un-check it often.)

Once I did that, the Signature Ability started showing up and I thought I had just been missing it the entire time :)

Source saving works for me, but wait until the fix comes out and see if it works better for you.

Hello Ogg

I've just installed the latest 1.2.0.0 version to replace the former 1.1.5.0 version on my computer. Sadly, while I can still run the GMTools and DataEditor,I am unable to launch the Character Generator.

See below all details :

Signature du problème :
  Nom d’événement de problème:    CLR20r3
  Signature du problème 01:    swchargen.exe
  Signature du problème 02:    1.2.0.0
  Signature du problème 03:    53d593ab
  Signature du problème 04:    SWCharGenLib
  Signature du problème 05:    1.2.0.0
  Signature du problème 06:    53d18d45
  Signature du problème 07:    554
  Signature du problème 08:    4b
  Signature du problème 09:    System.NullReferenceException
  Version du système:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Identificateur de paramètres régionaux:    1036
  Information supplémentaire n° 1:    0a9e
  Information supplémentaire n° 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Information supplémentaire n° 3:    0a9e
  Information supplémentaire n° 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

(Sorry, it's in French but I'm sure the main informations are understandable, aren't they ?)

PS : I do have the extended version of the .NET 4.0 framework on my computer

Thanks

Hello Ogg

I've just installed the latest 1.2.0.0 version to replace the former 1.1.5.0 version on my computer. Sadly, while I can still run the GMTools and DataEditor,I am unable to launch the Character Generator.

PS : I do have the extended version of the .NET 4.0 framework on my computer

Thanks

Did you use the web install or the ZIP file.  If you used the ZIP, did you remove everything from the previous install directory before adding the content of the ZIP file?

Just wanted to throw in that I am also getting the following error after the recent updates:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01:    swchargen.exe
  Problem Signature 02:    1.2.0.0
  Problem Signature 03:    53d6849d
  Problem Signature 04:    SWCharGenCtlLib
  Problem Signature 05:    1.2.0.0
  Problem Signature 06:    53d6848a
  Problem Signature 07:    49a
  Problem Signature 08:    73
  Problem Signature 09:    System.NullReferenceException
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    1044
  Additional Information 1:    0a9e
  Additional Information 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:    0a9e
  Additional Information 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

It's pretty much the same as the one posted by RNST earlier, only in english.

And it only occurs with the Character Generator, the DM tools and others work fine.

Edited by kastmann

OggDude, I've been using your program for a while now and I like it very much. Thank you for all the hard work you've invested to make GM's job so much easier. 

I have a quick question about starships. I noticed that i can't change the statistics of a starship like a YT-2400 once I select it. I can only upgrade it with modifications. I did an export of the .xml file for the starship, but i was unable to modify it the way i wanted to and import it.

Is there anyway to modify statistics fields like speed, handling etc, without having to add the modifications?