OggDude

Another Character Generator

Amazing work Ogg ! :rolleyes:

I am currently running a EotE campaign for the very first time and I must say I am impressed by the quality of this generator !

I spent some time reading the joined FAQ file but I still have one question :unsure:  : how do I get access to the ranked skills the talent trees give access to ? I do find them into the editor or tools you've included but nothing appears in the character sheet when I select those talents whith ranked skills.

Thanks for your help, and congrats again !

Hey Oggy,

I noticed something weird with setting up encounters.
i created an encounter with my R2 droid and my PC and my x-wing. 
When I try and print it it prints the R2 droid. And 18 pages that just say notes and some generic stuff on the top. 
Instead of printing the PC and the ship and the roster of ship positions. 
I tried it with the one I made a month ago and I recreated a new one to see if the encounter got corrupted but I get the same thing.

I just stumbled across this thread and I was blown away by the quality of this unofficial tool. FFG should seriously consider hiring you to flesh out something official. I would buy it in a heart beat!

This is going to really aid me as I just started up another gaming group. Right now we'll be switching between Pathfinder, D&D 5E, Star Wars, and Shadowrun...

I'm looking forward to spending some time with this tool!

Thanks for your efforts!!

They can't. Per the License that would be considered an electronic game. Same reason they cannot do PDFs of the Beta's. 

Amazing work Ogg ! :rolleyes:

I am currently running a EotE campaign for the very first time and I must say I am impressed by the quality of this generator !

I spent some time reading the joined FAQ file but I still have one question :unsure:  : how do I get access to the ranked skills the talent trees give access to ? I do find them into the editor or tools you've included but nothing appears in the character sheet when I select those talents whith ranked skills.

Thanks for your help, and congrats again !

Are you talking about talents that have you select skills?  If so, the skills are mentioned in the talent list at the end of the talent description on the character sheet.  This is also the case for talents like Dedication where you choose a characteristic; the chosen characteristic should be listed after the talent description

Hey Oggy,

When I try and print it it prints the R2 droid. And 18 pages that just say notes and some generic stuff on the top. 

I tried it with the one I made a month ago and I recreated a new one to see if the encounter got corrupted but I get the same thing.

More than likely, your droid or PC are too complex to fit on a single page.  This can happen if you have a lot of talents, force abilities, equipment, and the like.  When  I get the AoR update out, it'll have a fix for this so that you'll be warned when an adversary can't fit on a page.  The encounter will be printed as normal, just without that particular adversary.  To fix it, just simplify the complex adversary.  It it's a PC adversary, just duplicate it, then trim it down to something reasonable :)

I just stumbled across this thread and I was blown away by the quality of this unofficial tool. FFG should seriously consider hiring you to flesh out something official. I would buy it in a heart beat!

This is going to really aid me as I just started up another gaming group. Right now we'll be switching between Pathfinder, D&D 5E, Star Wars, and Shadowrun...

I'm looking forward to spending some time with this tool!

Thanks for your efforts!!

They can't. Per the License that would be considered an electronic game. Same reason they cannot do PDFs of the Beta's. 

I've heard this, too, but only second- and third-hand, so I'm not sure of the details of their license.  I know they've put out PDFs for adventures and characters, so maybe it's just that they can't actually sell something in PDF format, but they can give them away for free.  With this logic, I suppose they could supply a character generator for free :) but who knows.  I'm considering translating what I've done over to Silverlight and setting up a web page for it, but it's only in the dream stage right now.

If anyone from FFG is interested in what I've done, I'd be more than happy to talk to them about it :)  I'm also curious as to whether or not any of the designers use the app for their own campaigns.  I do know that in the past few conventions I've been too, most people running EotE games were using my app (which is kinda cool ;) ).

Hey Oggy,

More than likely, your droid or PC are too complex to fit on a single page.  This can happen if you have a lot of talents, force abilities, equipment, and the like.  When  I get the AoR update out, it'll have a fix for this so that you'll be warned when an adversary can't fit on a page.  The encounter will be printed as normal, just without that particular adversary.  To fix it, just simplify the complex adversary.  It it's a PC adversary, just duplicate it, then trim it down to something reasonable :)

it is a simple R2 Droid for the Droid socket. only extras are an encrypted comlink. Seems to fit on one page fine.

it also used to work fine and now it does not.

Edited by Daeglan

Hey Oggy,

it is a simple R2 Droid for the Droid socket. only extras are an encrypted comlink. Seems to fit on one page fine.

it also used to work fine and now it does not.

Send me the adversaries and the encounter and I'll see if I can replicate it.

Hey Oggy!

This suite of tools is amazing.  I have one question so far, as I have been going through setting up my party in this tool.  I have a character with a Superior weapon, that has a Bantha's Eye attached to it.  That should add 2 advantages to it when used, however on the first page, only one advantage shows up.  I have tried tinkering with the Mod itself through the Data Editor and I can get the Advantage to show up, but to do so requires me to apply the Advantage to ALL Ranged-Light uses, which is grossly inaccurate.  It appears there is no base Mod "Add Advantage" Which seems to be the easy way to get this to work.  I am trying to avoid going in and editing your XML files with an egregious hack to try and get this to work...

Is this behavior as intended, or have I found a small bug?

Thanks,

Kevynn

Hey Oggy,

Why not allow a adversary to fit on more than 1 page? What good is an encounter tool if you can't fit a pc that has some experience under their belt? Think about when you want to set up an encounter with a Nemesis of comparable level along with the PCs in your party plus all the minions and rivals. not being able to fit them into your encounter generator seems to kind of defeat the purpose of the encounter generator don't you think?

Hey Oggy!

This suite of tools is amazing.  I have one question so far, as I have been going through setting up my party in this tool.  I have a character with a Superior weapon, that has a Bantha's Eye attached to it.  That should add 2 advantages to it when used, however on the first page, only one advantage shows up.  I have tried tinkering with the Mod itself through the Data Editor and I can get the Advantage to show up, but to do so requires me to apply the Advantage to ALL Ranged-Light uses, which is grossly inaccurate.  It appears there is no base Mod "Add Advantage" Which seems to be the easy way to get this to work.  I am trying to avoid going in and editing your XML files with an egregious hack to try and get this to work...

Is this behavior as intended, or have I found a small bug?

Thanks,

Kevynn

I included the added advantage just as a ad-hoc descriptor in the Bantha Eye because it's conditional on generating a hit. I haven't come across a mod that adds an advantage only for rolls made with an item, so I don't have a descriptor for it.  All of the descriptors found in ItemDescriptors.xml have code to back them up, which is why you can't edit the descriptors file.

Hey Oggy,

Why not allow a adversary to fit on more than 1 page? What good is an encounter tool if you can't fit a pc that has some experience under their belt? Think about when you want to set up an encounter with a Nemesis of comparable level along with the PCs in your party plus all the minions and rivals. not being able to fit them into your encounter generator seems to kind of defeat the purpose of the encounter generator don't you think?

I should probably clarify:  yes, an adversary can span multiple pages, but only at certain points.  The descriptor block can't currently be split because it's all one long bit of HTML translated into a bitmap.  I did try some techniques for splitting up the bitmap (like finding a scanline with only white pixels), but the splits were arbitrary and the technique rather kludgy.  What I would need to do is divide out the descriptor block into multiple sections and use the sections to perform the splits.  I will look into doing this.

99% of all adversaries don't have a problem fitting onto a single page.  The only exceptions would be some really experienced PCs, which are rarely included in encounters, or very complex nemeses, which can generally be trimmed down a bit.  I've only experienced this once personally.  As I said, though, I'll start looking into splitting the descriptor block into multiple sections to hopefully avoid this problem altogether.

Oggy's reply here:

I included the added advantage just as a ad-hoc descriptor in the Bantha Eye because it's conditional on generating a hit. I haven't come across a mod that adds an advantage only for rolls made with an item, so I don't have a descriptor for it.  All of the descriptors found in ItemDescriptors.xml have code to back them up, which is why you can't edit the descriptors file.

My response here:

So, working as intended.  Thanks for for the quick reply.  I was just trying to find a way to get the Advantage in the box on page 1 of the sheet so I would remember to use it.  I will just have to pencil it in and remember for myself.

As I said earlier, I adore this tool.  Thank you!

Kevynn

Edit: I am out of practice at replies on boards now.  Sorry for the atrocious formatting.

Edited by KevynnRedfern

I know this has nothing to do with you ogg, but I'm hopeful that you or someone else has run into this and found a solution.

I run most of my campaign through Google Drive, and copy/paste of the output into a google document gives me an error, I've uploaded a youtube video to illustrate what I mean.

http://youtu.be/-7z5aqD-KVw

Again I know this has zero to do with your application.  Just hoping someone can help.

I know this has nothing to do with you ogg, but I'm hopeful that you or someone else has run into this and found a solution.

I run most of my campaign through Google Drive, and copy/paste of the output into a google document gives me an error, I've uploaded a youtube video to illustrate what I mean.

http://youtu.be/-7z5aqD-KVw

Again I know this has zero to do with your application.  Just hoping someone can help.

Someone else had a similar issue, I think, using Roll20.  The special symbols are images, which is why they're not displaying properly.  However, to get it working for Roll20, what I did was give each symbol an alternate text descriptor using a standard Unicode symbol (one that could be recognized as sort of representing the image).  This worked in Roll20, I'm guessing, because it's smart enough to include alternate text when the image can't be displayed.  Unfortunately, Google Docs does not appear to support this.  I found this on the web:

At this time, Google docs: Document does not offer a mechanism for adding alternative text or longer descriptions to images and objects where it can be readily accessed by screen reader users. As a result, you will need to ensure that you provide the alternate text and/or longer descriptions in the body of the document, near the images and objects. While this solution is not optimal for screen reader users and will complicate your own accessibility testing, it is necessary until alternative text and descriptions are supported. [Tested: August 20, 2010]

Edited by OggDude

Thanks looks like I can't do it.  Although when I put an image into google drive it works fine.

One interesting thing:  the alt text displays on Roll20 only if I use Firefox.  On Chrome, I just get broken image icons.  Google Docs does the same thing in both browsers.

Anyway, you can still do what you want to do in Google Docs.  Just go into GM Tools, select an adversary, then click "Stat Block", then "Copy".  Run Google Docs, load your document, then do a paste.  The stat block image should be displayed as soon as it uploads (give it 5-10 seconds).

Hey Oggy,

I should probably clarify:  yes, an adversary can span multiple pages, but only at certain points.  The descriptor block can't currently be split because it's all one long bit of HTML translated into a bitmap.  I did try some techniques for splitting up the bitmap (like finding a scanline with only white pixels), but the splits were arbitrary and the technique rather kludgy.  What I would need to do is divide out the descriptor block into multiple sections and use the sections to perform the splits.  I will look into doing this.

99% of all adversaries don't have a problem fitting onto a single page.  The only exceptions would be some really experienced PCs, which are rarely included in encounters, or very complex nemeses, which can generally be trimmed down a bit.  I've only experienced this once personally.  As I said, though, I'll start looking into splitting the descriptor block into multiple sections to hopefully avoid this problem altogether.

yeah what I am trying to do is set up an encounter for my PC so I can have everything i need for my character when he is in his x-wing with his R2 droid. But now I am at 216 XP

I'll look into it for the next-next release, but for now, I don't want to break anything before I release the AoR changes.

So far, I've added a new "Core" concept to Options.  If a source is flagged as "Core", it means that you have to have at least one of them selected.  If you just want to run an EotE game, just select the EotE Core Rulebook source and it'll work like it used to.  If you want to run a pure AoR game, just select AoR Core Rulebook source and you're only using AoR.  Selecting both will combine the two games into one.  All other sources are still there (like for the adventures and splat books) and are optional, just as before.

To do all this, of course, I had to go over pretty much all of the main data to set everything up properly with the new sources, as well as make some AoR changes and additions.  That took some time :)  I also added imports for Perlemian Haul and Dead in the Water, modified both the AoR and EotE adversaries, and even got a few bug fixes in.

I'm thinking I'll get the new release out the beginning of next week.

I personally cannot wait!

For a future idea that is mainly personal preference and aesthetics, nothing to do with the way the actual generator works:

Ever thought about having the generator have 'skins' that are associated with the Core source? For example your generator is currently using the Edge of the Empire colour scheme: light-Grey with green characteristics and brown buttons. In the Age of Rebellion book, there is a new scheme to it with reddish-orange characteristics and a more x-wing white background.

I just think it would be a cool little addition, but probably too much trouble for what it's worth.