OggDude

Another Character Generator

When I try to open the program I get an error message that reads: "You cannot start application Star Wars EotE Character Generator and GM Tools from this location because it is already installed from a different location."

The program was working fine before. Can anyone give me an assist on what may be wrong?

How can I use the Obligation section? I'm a bit confused as to whether it is calculating the points or not and the Obligation option boxes of stuff to buy with Obligation are all grayed out.

The obligation options will remain grayed out until you add obligation that is at least 5 over the selected starting value.

Also, what is the default directory that this program saves characters to? I've been trying to find my character.

It's in a weird place under user data.  The easiest way to find it is to click "Data Folder" from the launcher.

Edited by OggDude

When I try to open the program I get an error message that reads: "You cannot start application Star Wars EotE Character Generator and GM Tools from this location because it is already installed from a different location."

The program was working fine before. Can anyone give me an assist on what may be wrong?

More than likely, your version isn't up on DropBox or Google Drive anymore.  Just uninstall the program, then re-install it from one of the web links in my signature.  Your data should stay where it is and be found during the next install.

Been playing with this editor for a bit, it's great and I commend the work that went into it. I've started working through inputting information into the Data Editor, and ran into a format question.

Is there a way to implement bullet point format, like the Core Book(s) use to single out specific applications of individual Skills?

Edited by Sileo

Been playing with this editor for a bit, it's great and I commend the work that went into it. I've started working through inputting information into the Data Editor, and ran into a format question.

Is there a way to implement bullet point format, like the Core Book(s) use to single out specific applications of individual Skills?

I'm guessing you mean in the descriptions?  Then yes, you can.  Descriptions are actually HTML with some special tags thrown in for pips, dice, and the like.  If you want to see bulletted points, just use unordered lists (<ul> tag), with each item being a list item (<li> tag).  For instance:

<ul>
  <li>Item 1</li>
  <li>Item 2</li>
</ul>

This will look something like this:

• Item 1
  • Item 2

I'm guessing you mean in the descriptions?  Then yes, you can.  Descriptions are actually HTML with some special tags thrown in for pips, dice, and the like.  If you want to see bulletted points, just use unordered lists (<ul> tag), with each item being a list item (<li> tag).  For instance:

<ul>
  <li>Item 1</li>
  <li>Item 2</li>
</ul>

This will look something like this:

• Item 1
  • Item 2

That was exactly what I was looking to do! Thank you very much for the response, didn't think to just try HTML tags.

I've created a specialization for my group, added it in to the database and everything looks good.
The specialization is a cyborg class.
One of my talents is a copy of Tinkerer, but only allows you to add hard points to prostheses and other cybernetic enhancements. The number of items it can be applied to is equal to your skill in "Cybernetics", a custom skill. Is there anyway to implement this in the generator?

Also, another one of my custom talents allows the player to purchase cybernetic enhancements with XP rather than credits. Is there anyway to add an option when purchasing items to deduct from XP instead?

Regardless, I'll still use this. I love this program.

Hello,

1st, I love this generator. Thank you OggDude for your work and time.

2nd, Which file I should edit and where, so I could change the size of the boxes inside the tool? For example the box where I choose and top the skills for NPCs (GM tool), so I could scroll less. 

I've created a specialization for my group, added it in to the database and everything looks good.

The specialization is a cyborg class.

One of my talents is a copy of Tinkerer, but only allows you to add hard points to prostheses and other cybernetic enhancements. The number of items it can be applied to is equal to your skill in "Cybernetics", a custom skill. Is there anyway to implement this in the generator?

Also, another one of my custom talents allows the player to purchase cybernetic enhancements with XP rather than credits. Is there anyway to add an option when purchasing items to deduct from XP instead?

Regardless, I'll still use this. I love this program.

The only corner cases I generally support are the ones that are found in one of the published sources.  Not to say that you can't do this, it just won't check to make sure you're doing it right :)  Also, instead of tying your new Tinkerer talent to a skill, what about just adding more of them to your tree?

You can also kluge the second one by just adding (rather than purchasing) cybernetics, then just deducting XP for it.

Hello,

1st, I love this generator. Thank you OggDude for your work and time.

2nd, Which file I should edit and where, so I could change the size of the boxes inside the tool? For example the box where I choose and top the skills for NPCs (GM tool), so I could scroll less. 

You can't change the sizes of the controls.  However, you could be running the generator on a computer with a high DPI setting.  With the standard 96 DPI, you should get about 7 or 8 lines displayed in the list.  Higher DPI settings are supported, but the window sizes (and controls) can shrink and scroll bars may show up in order for you to access everything.

I bought the AoR CRB today, so I'm going to start working on the new sourcing strategy for the app.  The current app has a concept of common data (the EotE CRB), along with other optional sources.  I'm going to need to change this so that you can have common data, required CRB sources (at least one), and then other optional sources.  This is so you can make a straight AoR character without needing anything from EotE, other than data that is common to both systems.

Anyway, I'll let you know when I'm finished.

Since you're working on updating the sources, perhaps you might want to consider consolidating the two Unofficial Species Menagerie entries into a single category?  Anything that had been removed from the Menagerie as an official write-up in an FFG book, so there's really not a need for both versions of species such as the Duros or the Gran to show up.

Feature request...
(I think I read about something similar a while ago, but I can't remember the specifics...) Could you make a command or adversary or something so that when we print an encounter from the GM tools, we can add a page break where we want? I have an encounter where the PCs are likely to bump into different groups comprised of same and different NPC types (a security force with security driods and humans; another security force with just droids).  The way it's set up now, I organize the NPCs so they're in the same clusters that I want, but when I print, it might split the group (putting the last unit of the first group on the first page of the second group or the first unit of the second group with the last page of the first...) a manual page break would be nicer than setting up seperate encounters for each group.

I know you're busy re-writing to accomodate for AoR already, so if this is extra work, I understand it getting back-burner status.  I just figured I'd ask in case it ends up being in the same line of work as the conversion or something.

And as always... Thanks for the awesome program!

Since you're working on updating the sources, perhaps you might want to consider consolidating the two Unofficial Species Menagerie entries into a single category?  Anything that had been removed from the Menagerie as an official write-up in an FFG book, so there's really not a need for both versions of species such as the Duros or the Gran to show up.

What I've been doing is keeping the species key the same, but changing the species to match the official book (and, of course, changing the source designation).  So in that way, if someone already has a USM species selected, it will automatically be upgraded to the official version the next time the character is loaded.

I can, however, change the sources to read "Unofficial Species Menagerie" and not have a version.  That way, if you come out with version 4.0, I can just modify, add, and remove to match the new data.

Feature request...

(I think I read about something similar a while ago, but I can't remember the specifics...) Could you make a command or adversary or something so that when we print an encounter from the GM tools, we can add a page break where we want? I have an encounter where the PCs are likely to bump into different groups comprised of same and different NPC types (a security force with security driods and humans; another security force with just droids).  The way it's set up now, I organize the NPCs so they're in the same clusters that I want, but when I print, it might split the group (putting the last unit of the first group on the first page of the second group or the first unit of the second group with the last page of the first...) a manual page break would be nicer than setting up seperate encounters for each group.

I know you're busy re-writing to accomodate for AoR already, so if this is extra work, I understand it getting back-burner status.  I just figured I'd ask in case it ends up being in the same line of work as the conversion or something.

And as always... Thanks for the awesome program!

I suppose I could have a flag on a group for "start on a new page".  Or, you could just split it into multiple encounters, and just print the initiative tables on the first one.  That's how I would do it.

Oggy, Thank you. This makes my headaches with CharGen simply disappear! This is by far and away the best resource I've come across, and has made my laptop a necessity at the table - no more checking the index, just pull up the program, grab the specific page number and off you go. I may well even amend the databases myself, but as far as vanilla fanmade products go, this is incredible.

I found a bug, that is the result of a rule oversight: When you pick up an additional talent tree, you also get extra career skills. Humans can have +1 to 2 NON-career skills. But when you select your Human bonus skills, and then pick up a talent tree which includes that as a career skill, you have a problem; if you ever unselect that skill, you can't reselect it to 'fix' your character.

I found a bug, that is the result of a rule oversight: When you pick up an additional talent tree, you also get extra career skills. Humans can have +1 to 2 NON-career skills. But when you select your Human bonus skills, and then pick up a talent tree which includes that as a career skill, you have a problem; if you ever unselect that skill, you can't reselect it to 'fix' your character.

That was actually a fix for that issue.  Basically, each time you make a change to your character, everything is recalculated.  This works fine most of the time, but sometimes, there's issues.  For instance, if you buy ranks in a non-career skill, then buy a specialization that gives you that skill as a career skill, it'll refund XP.  Technically, it's not supposed to do that (you can't get XP back retroactively), but it's a side effect of the process.

To sort of fix this issue for the human species ability, I changed it so that if you choose a non-career skill for a rank, then get the skill in another spec, it'll keep the skill selected.  However, if you ever deselect it, you can't select it again (it's no longer a non-career skill).  Same goes for obligation options: if you purchase an obligation option, then lower your obligation so you normally wouldn't have access to that option, it'll keep it until you deselect it.  It you deselect it, you won't be able to select it again.

This is a great resource.

There are a lot of pages to skim so I apologize if this has been answered... 

I own EotE and have looked through AoR and I know there are other books out there, but you have an amazingly comprehensive species list.  Are all of those from a FFG source or are some home-grown (the latter being my assumption)?

Good work in either case, I just want to know what I am applauding you for, exactly. ;)

This is a great resource.

There are a lot of pages to skim so I apologize if this has been answered... 

I own EotE and have looked through AoR and I know there are other books out there, but you have an amazingly comprehensive species list.  Are all of those from a FFG source or are some home-grown (the latter being my assumption)?

Good work in either case, I just want to know what I am applauding you for, exactly. ;)

A lot of those species came from the Unofficial Species Menagerie fan supplement that I compiled based upon the work of myself and a few others, many of which were written back when the only book available was the EotE Beta rulebook.

I just stumbled across this thread and I was blown away by the quality of this unofficial tool. FFG should seriously consider hiring you to flesh out something official. I would buy it in a heart beat!

This is going to really aid me as I just started up another gaming group. Right now we'll be switching between Pathfinder, D&D 5E, Star Wars, and Shadowrun...

I'm looking forward to spending some time with this tool!

Thanks for your efforts!!