Jump to content
OggDude

Another Character Generator

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

So, how are people adding the Drabatan into the data? I can't figure out how to add the 1 rank of Charm or Leadership.

 

EDIT: I figured it out! woohoo!

Edited by Scambler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Scambler said:

So, how are people adding the Drabatan into the data? I can't figure out how to add the 1 rank of Charm or Leadership.

In the data editor there is a way. I am away from it so I can't look and tell you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2020 at 6:39 PM, rmunn said:

If the Git repository you mean is https://gitlab.com/rikus01/SWDataSet-OggDudes, then I know that that one has the Bigtent dataset, because I imported it from the last release ever made on bigtent before it went down. If there's more lacking, well, it's a Git repository: you can edit it yourself. GitLab makes that easy even if you're not a programmer and don't know how to use Git: every file has an Edit button that will let you edit it live (or paste new contents from your hard disk), which turns into a "merge request" that the repository's owner can approve. Once he approves it, it gets merged into the repository and anyone who grabs a copy will have a copy with your edits. So if there's anything lacking from that repo besides the Bigtent dataset, you can help fix the lack.

Can anyone assist with adding/importing this data set please?  I have downloaded the set from Git, but I cannot import the zip file.  I keep getting the error "This zip archive does not contain a valid data set."  How do I add it?  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Inquisitor Tremayne said:

Can anyone assist with adding/importing this data set please?  I have downloaded the set from Git, but I cannot import the zip file.  I keep getting the error "This zip archive does not contain a valid data set."  How do I add it?  Thanks!

Did you extract the zip file? It’s just an encoded binary to the database.

Edited by Eoen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Eoen said:

Did you extract the zip file? It’s just an encoded binary to the database.

Yes I did extract.  But the data set import is looking for a zip file.  I tried to zip the contents but still didn't work.

I have no clue what "encoded binary to the database" even means! 😵

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Inquisitor Tremayne said:

I have no clue what "encoded binary to the database" even means! 😵

I have been playing around with computers since 1982, and a professional Unix/Internet Systems Administrator and now Senior DevOps Engineer since 1989. I’ve been using git and GitHub since about 2009.

And I have no clue what language Eoen thinks he is speaking. It’s not English, although he is using English words. It’s not Geek or Ancient Geek, because I grok that.

Maybe he will come back into this thread and clarify. Until then, I have no clue what he’s trying to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Inquisitor Tremayne said:

Yes I did extract.  But the data set import is looking for a zip file.  I tried to zip the contents but still didn't work.

I have no clue what "encoded binary to the database" even means! 😵

Dont extract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, salamar_dree said:

@Inquisitor Tremayne

Re-download the original file, and leave it as a zip file.

Open the Data Editor, and select "Import". When prompted, choose the zip file.

It should work, unless the original dataset is corrupted.

Tried all of the above and still getting same message: "This zip archive does not contain a valid data set."

To confirm I am downloading correctly:

1986963391_Annotation2020-03-08190228.png.334c45ee71f943874808dc30db315fd8.png

 

It then shows up as: SWDataSet-OggDudes-master.zip.  Inside that zip is another folder labeled: SWDataSet-OggDudes-master.  Inside of that are all of the listed contents.

So not sure what I am doing wrong.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Inquisitor Tremayne said:

Yes I did extract.  But the data set import is looking for a zip file.  I tried to zip the contents but still didn't work.

I have no clue what "encoded binary to the database" even means! 😵

A .zip file is an encoded 8bit executable binary file ([as opposed to text like the .xml files in the .zip], it no longer means just machine code (as the term originally did) but an executable file), if Ogg Dudes can’t read it either something is wrong with the file or the Ogg Dudes installation as Ogg Dudes should be able to read the plain text in the .zip file (Binary) without having to decode it into a directory (folder). Other possibilities include MS updated a library Ogg Dudes relies on, or the .xml header statements are improper. If all else fails reinstall Ogg Dudes.

/bin/

bin - Computer Definition

(BINary) A popular directory name in the Unix world for storing executable programs, device drivers and other binary files. See bin file and binaries.

A binary file is a computer file that is not a text file.[1] The term "binary file" is often used as a term meaning "non-text file".[2] Many binary file formats contain parts that can be interpreted as text; for example, some computer document files containing formatted text, such as older Microsoft Word documentfiles, contain the text of the document but also contain formatting information in binary form.[2]

I only started using computers in ‘81, I’m shocked you don’t know the term, /bin is still a low level directory in Unix-like operating systems.

Yes it is ancient geek.😎

 

Edited by Eoen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Inquisitor Tremayne said:

Tried all of the above and still getting same message: "This zip archive does not contain a valid data set."

To confirm I am downloading correctly:

1986963391_Annotation2020-03-08190228.png.334c45ee71f943874808dc30db315fd8.png

 

It then shows up as: SWDataSet-OggDudes-master.zip.  Inside that zip is another folder labeled: SWDataSet-OggDudes-master.  Inside of that are all of the listed contents.

So not sure what I am doing wrong.

 

I am having this same issue 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Open/Edit the zip file (7-zip can do this) and rename the top level folder to DataSet_OggDudes_master.

The import is very finicky about the naming of the first directory.

Alternatively if you can't/won't edit it directly, you could extract, rename, rezip.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Out of curiosity, since OggDude hasn't replied or updated since June of last year, I was wondering if anyone else has taken up the task of adding the content for the newer books? I'll do it myself, if necessary, but I'd rather ask and see if anyone else has already done the legwork before I invest in the lengthy process.

Edited by kmjmtrob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, starwulfe said:

Open/Edit the zip file (7-zip can do this) and rename the top level folder to DataSet_OggDudes_master.

The import is very finicky about the naming of the first directory.

Alternatively if you can't/won't edit it directly, you could extract, rename, rezip.

Tried this, but no luck. Still getting the same error message that the others are. 😔 

Edited by Imperatoris Irae

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I host the gitlab data set. 

We have seen this issue before. A fellow user went to great lengths to trouble shoot this error. 

Here is the link on the problem and the solution. 

https://gitlab.com/rikus01/SWDataSet-OggDudes/-/issues/3

I have reached out to Oggdude to see if there something within the program to fix it. Not sure if it was something that he could implement. 

In short: The error streams from how Windows zipps the file. People have had some luck using the .tar option when downloading the dataset. Others have had to rename the data set as follows File name has to be named "SWDataSet-(NAME)" and first folder inside has to be "Dataset_(NAME)".

Hope this helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arrakus said:

I host the gitlab data set. 

We have seen this issue before. A fellow user went to great lengths to trouble shoot this error. 

Here is the link on the problem and the solution. 

https://gitlab.com/rikus01/SWDataSet-OggDudes/-/issues/3

I have reached out to Oggdude to see if there something within the program to fix it. Not sure if it was something that he could implement. 

In short: The error streams from how Windows zipps the file. People have had some luck using the .tar option when downloading the dataset. Others have had to rename the data set as follows File name has to be named "SWDataSet-(NAME)" and first folder inside has to be "Dataset_(NAME)".

Hope this helps. 

THIS worked!

 

So, as a note, if you use Windows to extract, change the name, and re-zip, it won't work. Editing with 7-zip was the only way I could get it to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2020 at 1:21 PM, Enjoyingorc6742 said:

while I was creating a character, one of the skills, Mechanics in this case, has 6 dice. 2 yellow, 2 green, and black with white and red in the middle. what are those two black dice for or are they just a bug/glitch?

1221235306_StarWarsCharacterGenerator2_29_202011_21_25AM.thumb.png.6f78dcdb51719638e719a101ebdaac25.png

Not a glitch.  Those are generated from talents and items that remove setbacks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daeglan said:

When ogg is available yes. He often does updates leading up to a local san fran con

Hopefully the con will still go on.

And if not, it won't stop Ogg from updating. (Real life allowing, of course.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2020 at 11:21 AM, Enjoyingorc6742 said:

while I was creating a character, one of the skills, Mechanics in this case, has 6 dice. 2 yellow, 2 green, and black with white and red in the middle. what are those two black dice for or are they just a bug/glitch?

1221235306_StarWarsCharacterGenerator2_29_202011_21_25AM.thumb.png.6f78dcdb51719638e719a101ebdaac25.png

It's not a bug.  The red minus sign on the black dice tells you to remove 2 black dice from the pool.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...