Jump to content
OggDude

Another Character Generator

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Eoen said:

I installed the web install and all of the new engineer metadata is already in there. YEA

I changed how I keep track of sources, so I can now automatically include new sources that aren't currently in the list.  I know it was annoying having to go into Options and select new sources when a new release came out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey there. First, let me say that this program is awesome. It's invaluable for my game. Honestly, I don't know that I'd be running my current campaign in this system without it.

Now, a question.

The game I'm running is heavily modified. It's not actually Star Wars, but a Firefly campaign using the Star Wars rules. Consequently, a lot of the base material (especially gear) is not really appropriate. After this program is updated for Cyphers and Masks, I expect I will do a potentially final download and update, and that has me thinking... Is there a way to delete "standard" material short of going into the individual files and doing it manually?

For example, can I use any of the tools, say, look at the gear from a particular book and delete them out either individually or altogether?

I understand that's not the intention of this program, but I find the Star Wars RPG to be far more "stuff-oriented" than I want it to be, and it's often difficult to slow through to get to the 5% or 10% of things I actually want to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gwek said:

Hey there. First, let me say that this program is awesome. It's invaluable for my game. Honestly, I don't know that I'd be running my current campaign in this system without it.

Now, a question.

The game I'm running is heavily modified. It's not actually Star Wars, but a Firefly campaign using the Star Wars rules. Consequently, a lot of the base material (especially gear) is not really appropriate. After this program is updated for Cyphers and Masks, I expect I will do a potentially final download and update, and that has me thinking... Is there a way to delete "standard" material short of going into the individual files and doing it manually?

For example, can I use any of the tools, say, look at the gear from a particular book and delete them out either individually or altogether?

I understand that's not the intention of this program, but I find the Star Wars RPG to be far more "stuff-oriented" than I want it to be, and it's often difficult to slow through to get to the 5% or 10% of things I actually want to use.

I would just copy all the items and "stuff" you use to a new dataset and use that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, warchild1x said:

Is there a way to delete "standard" material short of going into the individual files and doing it manually?

There is but you have to edit the data files directly. I did this to remove almost everything when I was trying to see how close I could get this to work with Genesys. I found that you should leave at least 1 of every category otherwise it crashes. So make backups of data, delete stuff, test, backup as a new backup (save old backups) and repeat. Some entries seem to be mandatory for whatever reason. The stuff you can't delete, just custom edit the entry to be your own custom item. Also, if you are not using talent trees ala Star Wars (maybe because your using Genesys), you must still attach a placeholder talent tree/specialization to each career otherwise it crashes. I had dozens of crashes before I figured out what I could safely remove.

For those who like Genesys, I ultimately abandoned the attempt because Genesys talents couldn't be tracked in the program outside of specializations and trees. Hopefully @Oggdude will eventually add this and the few other features that seperate SW from Genesys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lyinggod said:

There is but you have to edit the data files directly. I did this to remove almost everything when I was trying to see how close I could get this to work with Genesys. I found that you should leave at least 1 of every category otherwise it crashes. So make backups of data, delete stuff, test, backup as a new backup (save old backups) and repeat. Some entries seem to be mandatory for whatever reason. The stuff you can't delete, just custom edit the entry to be your own custom item. Also, if you are not using talent trees ala Star Wars (maybe because your using Genesys), you must still attach a placeholder talent tree/specialization to each career otherwise it crashes. I had dozens of crashes before I figured out what I could safely remove.

For those who like Genesys, I ultimately abandoned the attempt because Genesys talents couldn't be tracked in the program outside of specializations and trees. Hopefully @Oggdude will eventually add this and the few other features that seperate SW from Genesys.

Or just turn off all the sources. Put your data in and turn that source on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies, folks. I'll try various options and see what works best.

 

I DID manually edit the data files for Weapons and Armor, but the other files seemed too daunting, so I was hoping for easier approaches...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gwek said:

Thanks for the replies, folks. I'll try various options and see what works best.

 

I DID manually edit the data files for Weapons and Armor, but the other files seemed too daunting, so I was hoping for easier approaches...

If you’re going into the actual xml files, you’re making the work more difficult on yourself than it needs to be. Use the Data Editor tool.

Edited by Nytwyng

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gwek said:

Can I use the Data Editor to delete standard equipment and other items?

You could and for the most part you should be fine keeping in mind  the advice listed above. However you run into two problems. First, you could destabilize the program and render it unusable until you reinstall. Second, when Ogg updates the program all the default things you deleted would be readded in the new version.

You're better off flagging all the stuff you need as Firefly in the Source material and then just deselecting all sources but that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 09/20/Thanos said:

Good morning Gentlemen ?

Is there a way to add Battle Scars from Forged in Battle?
I can't seem to find it

Just to keep track of the experience spent on scars, I just added a custom spec that I GM granted to the PC with them. Then GM grant the talent.

Edited by Jareth Valar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question. I'd already put in a large portion of what was new in Forged in Battle. But say, I had made a mistake in setting up the talent tree for a class, and then I install this. Would the update "fix" or overwrite any mistakes I made? Or will the data I put in stay the default?

Or better way to say it: Should I do a fresh install or will the update do fine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, onebadveggie said:

Quick question. I'd already put in a large portion of what was new in Forged in Battle. But say, I had made a mistake in setting up the talent tree for a class, and then I install this. Would the update "fix" or overwrite any mistakes I made? Or will the data I put in stay the default?

Or better way to say it: Should I do a fresh install or will the update do fine?

It would depend on whether or not you and OggDude used the same item key for the data. If they have different keys, they’ll exist side-by-side. Personally, I always build in an expectation that I might not enter things as fully optimized as he does by beginning my keys with an abbreviation for the source (for example, the Trailblazer spec would have the key FIBTRAILBLAZER). This allows me to easily identify what I’ve entered vs what OggDude has entered, and delete my version when he adds his (and also copy/paste the fluff text I’ve entered into the “official” one). In fact, I follow this pattern for fully custom data that I enter to avoid potential conflicts with later data (Ex: I’ve been working on a Lords of the Expanse conversion for a while. The lightfoil for it has the key LOTELIGHTFOIL, which I was glad for when Knights of Fate included a lightfoil.)

Edited by Nytwyng

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2018 at 7:45 PM, Daeglan said:

Or just turn off all the sources. Put your data in and turn that source on.

I could have done that but I wanted to actually remove most of the equipment and other entries since there was a lot more SW equipment then Genesys equipment and I didnt want the extras hanging around. Plus the issue with talents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made a starfighter for a character (3 times just to be sure):

1) Integrated System under the vehicle hull. I chose the Hyperdrive and after finishing it still uses one of the vehicles hardpoints (also allows me to remove it, though not sure if this is an error or not)

2) Also under the hull crafting. For 1 triumph it has Cargo x2 (add twice Sil to cargo cap) it's only increasing it by Sil, not Silx2

3) It's giving me Deflective Plating, Electron Baffled Engine, Enhanced-Capacity Holds, Ion Drive Array, Single Ion Coil, Sleek Carapace, and Ion Turbine Engine as after market attachments. Which would be cool and possible but it won't let me replace what it was built with.

4) Under Integrated Improvements for Vehicle Frame will not allow a starfighter to gain a passenger (I know 0 x .5 round up is still 0, so not sure if this is intended either way)

5) Lightly Armored Hull is missing the Increase Handling by +1 mod

6) Max altitude for an Airspeeder is 100 km, not 10 km

Not associated with Vehicle Crafting, but Reinforced Engine Cowlings are Podracer only.

Edited by Jareth Valar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

um I just made a from scratch consular:niman-disciple/sentry and defensive training isn't increasing his melee defense when I equip a lightsaber

here's the character sheet so you can try to replicate it

career skill ranks went to discipline, lore, and negotiation,  starting specialization skill ranks went to discipline and negotiation, human ranks went to mechanics and vigilance.  the rest should be pretty easy to duplicate

http://www.mediafire.com/file/93vqzrklye6ig93/Movie_Jedi.pdf/file

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elias found your problem Oggdude changed the defense to reflect the new rules where you have to choose between talents or armor for your defense ratings. You may have to toggle the defense options till you get the way your gm will allow you to do defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not necessarily, still think it's an error. I have a PC in the party that has Protector 1 (Defense 1), Defensive Training 2, Sixth Sense and Superior Reflexes. 

With Armor and Lightsaber on is shows Defense 2/2

With Armor on and Lightsaber off it shows Defense 2/2

With Armor and Lightsaber off it shows Defense 1/1

With Armor off and Lightsaber on it shows Defense 1/1

It's not registering Defensive Training even with no armor on.

However, another PC has Defense 2 from armor and a vibro-sword and it correctly shows Defense 2/3. Gave him Superior Reflexes ans Sixth Sense an an experiment and it correctly shows Defense 3/4. I give him Defensive Training and nothing changes. If I remove all armor, Sixth Sense and Superior Reflexes it only shows Defense 0/1 (base for the vibro-sword though it shows Defensive 2 on the weapon) and if I switch it to a lightsaber it shows Defense 0/0, even though Defensive Training is the only thing on.

Edited by Jareth Valar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2018 at 7:58 PM, Daeglan said:

Well you arent going to get this to do genesys. If you want genesys char gen look at skyjedi's offering

Yeah, but I was hoping for an offline version plus since Oggdudes is 90% there when it comes to being Genesys compatible plus having one program to handle both would be nice. But I get it, my group LOVES Star Wars and the NDS system but mostly are just Star Wars fanatics so they won't look at Genesys at all. For fantasy, the rest of the group likes pathfinder and that mathfinder mentality actually hinders the Star Wars game a bit. So sad.  (This is a jab at my group, not Oggdude).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kiranar said:

Elias found your problem Oggdude changed the defense to reflect the new rules where you have to choose between talents or armor for your defense ratings. You may have to toggle the defense options till you get the way your gm will allow you to do defense.

I already tried toggling the alternative defense calculation under GM options... no joy, and in any event when I unequipped the armor melee defense was zero instead of 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...