OggDude

Another Character Generator

11 minutes ago, KennyBu said:

FFG should just hire Oggdude or pay him as a contractor to make the software official!

I know I would gladly pay FFG for an updated polished version of the software.

Thoughts?

The cant. They cant sell digital content. Sadly

37 minutes ago, player1735393 said:

If they are prohibited from selling digital content, then how was the Star Wars Dice Roller released? 

Yup, there are dice roller apps, an app for Imperial Assault and one for XWing in the works.

Worst case scenario they make an agreement with EA?

Well i thin kthe app is absolutely useless without the game and can't be defined as a game itself, so maybe it is acceptable under the old licence. Or as Kenny suggested, they made an agreement with EA and they pay royalties to them. Which would explain the  high price of the app. 

From what I recall, the "digital and RPG licenses are separate" was from back in the WotC days, when LucasArts was still a thing, and they had a corner on ALL electronic Star Wars media.  Nothing not paper or plastic could be produced by anyone else, period.  With the dissolution of LucasArts, that seems to have changed, as FFG has produced some electronic support for their Star Wars games, compared to the WotC days when they couldn't have anything more than an online forum and the rare article published electronically.  So I don't think a character generator is impossible. . . in fact, from what I recall of the WotC days, even a fanmade one like Oggdude's would have been shut down because of license conflict legal issues.  But, without knowing what exactly has changed, it may not be possible for FFG to make their own character generator (or make Oggdude's official).  But it may be.  Only the license holders know for sure.

The "digital and RPG licence are separate" comes from the original license to WEG in the 80s, when pdf didn't exists and all electornic materials were videogames. From the comments on the boards here i understood that the licence was never changed, just transferred to the new entities so it passed from WEG to WotC to FFG.  bnut the licence is still the same. 

6 minutes ago, Lareg said:

The "digital and RPG licence are separate" comes from the original license to WEG in the 80s, when pdf didn't exists and all electornic materials were videogames. From the comments on the boards here i understood that the licence was never changed, just transferred to the new entities so it passed from WEG to WotC to FFG.  bnut the licence is still the same. 

That's the situation as I've understood it.

The dice roller and the few supplements that FFG has provided online appear to fit through a loophole: they're useless without the actual game(s) and rulesets, which aren't available electronically. ("Hey, look! I can roll FFG's dice! Great! I don't know what these symbols mean!") I get the impression that the X-Wing 2.0 app likely threads that same loophole.

OggDude avoids cease and desist orders by making the character generator similarly useless without the commercial products "out of the box."

8 hours ago, ErikModi said:

From what I recall, the "digital and RPG licenses are separate" was from back in the WotC days, when LucasArts was still a thing, and they had a corner on ALL electronic Star Wars media.  Nothing not paper or plastic could be produced by anyone else, period.  With the dissolution of LucasArts, that seems to have changed, as FFG has produced some electronic support for their Star Wars games, compared to the WotC days when they couldn't have anything more than an online forum and the rare article published electronically.  So I don't think a character generator is impossible. . . in fact, from what I recall of the WotC days, even a fanmade one like Oggdude's would have been shut down because of license conflict legal issues.  But, without knowing what exactly has changed, it may not be possible for FFG to make their own character generator (or make Oggdude's official).  But it may be.  Only the license holders know for sure.

Nope back in the WEG days. Which is why the pdf is on the wrong side of the license divide

21 hours ago, warchild1x said:

No. Oggdude has been detained by the real world since late January and we are now 4 books behind in official updates. Disciples of Harmony being the last book updated... And not fully so as it didn't include anything for mentors (And the ship crafting rules from fully operational are also missing).

You can either add them yourself using the data editor in the meantime or wait patiently for Ogg to return.

I've looked over the generator and this leaves me with a question

Where is said Data Editor for me to update the sheets with while I wait for Ogg to come back and do it right after I've screwed it up? 

21 hours ago, warchild1x said:

14 hours ago, warchild1x said:

I'm sure many of us would. However FFG doesn't have a license to produce Star Wars products in an electronic medium (which would include character generators and digital pdf rulebooks). Electronic Arts currently has that license and they're unlikely to give it up anytime soon.  So we are left without.

The answer to that is to make a Narrative Dice System character generator that allows many forms of fan created material.  And with Genesys around it would have to be flexible but could easily be fully SW compatible.

12 hours ago, DarthMonkey said:

I've looked over the generator and this leaves me with a question

Where is said Data Editor for me to update the sheets with while I wait for Ogg to come back and do it right after I've screwed it up? 

If you look in the main  folder where your character generator is located you should see 4 applications (vaders head with 2 crossed sabers)

SWCharGen launches the character generator

SWCharGenDataEditor launches the data editor

SWCharGenGMTools launches the gm toolkit

Finally SWCharGenLauncher launches a quicklaunch program that has menu buttons for all of the above 3 buttons.

Myself, I also make new entries in anticipation of OggDude’s being better optimized for the software by including an abbreviation for the pertinent book at the beginning of the item key. (Ex: KOFSTEELHANDADEPT or KOFLIGHTFOIL).

Edited by Nytwyng

4 hours ago, warchild1x said:

If you look in the main  folder where your character generator is located you should see 4 applications (vaders head with 2 crossed sabers)

Finally SWCharGenLauncher launches a quicklaunch program that has menu buttons for all of the above 3 buttons.

When you launch the generator you get a launch screen with 3 buttons

6 hours ago, warchild1x said:

Cool deal man I forgot about the rest of that whole folder. *lol*

Thanks I'll have to look at it now when I get home see what I can do.

On 7/4/2018 at 9:31 AM, player1735393 said:

If they are prohibited from selling digital content, then how was the Star Wars Dice Roller released? 

6 minutes ago, Ni Fang said:

Very good question

Seems to be a loophole, because It’s useless without the rules, which are only available in hard copy.

”Woo-hoo! I can roll FFG’s dice...but I have no idea what these crazy symbols mean!” ?

If so, then a character creator that contains no proprietary information on how to actually make a character or play the game, is useless without the books.  

"Woo-hoo! I can make a random character, maybe, kinda, sorta, I think?" ?

Which is how OggDude avoids cease and desist orders: by not including the game information, but references to where it’s located (so he’s not distributing copyrighted material). On the flip side, the actual publisher providing a character generator without the game content probably wouldn’t get much traction with it. They don’t have to worry about the copyright, so FFG not including the game/rule information is a hindrance, not a help. But if they include the game/rule information, they cross the line into electronic delivery of the game itself.

1 hour ago, Nytwyng said:

Which is how OggDude avoids cease and desist orders: by not including the game information, but references to where it’s located (so he’s not distributing copyrighted material). On the flip side, the actual publisher providing a character generator without the game content probably wouldn’t get much traction with it. They don’t have to worry about the copyright, so FFG not including the game/rule information is a hindrance, not a help. But if they include the game/rule information, they cross the line into electronic delivery of the game itself.

You'll still have to use the books in order to know, understand and properly use the software. So to me this isn't a reason.

2 minutes ago, nichendrix said:

You'll still have to use the books in order to know, understand and properly use the software. So to me this isn't a reason.

Unfortunately, it would appear that the license terms don't agree with you. The common understanding of the terms is that any electronic delivery of games - including electronic delivery of the rules to a tabletop game - falls under the "video/electronic gaming" license.

Unfortunately, it would appear that the license terms don't agree with you. The common understanding of the terms is that any electronic delivery of games - including electronic delivery of the rules to a tabletop game - falls under the "video/electronic gaming" license.

If those are the actual terms, then I see no reason they couldn't release a version of this specific generator since it contains no rules of any type.  Obviously there is more to the license than just that, or something like this would be possible under the same "loophole" that allows them to release a dice roller as well as pdf versions the character sheets.